Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 8:06:05 AM EDT
I have a friend that's going to basic in a week and a half. After basic, he goes to OCS. He is going into combat arms. When he graduates from basic I wanted to get him a graduation gift. As he will probably end up a LT. in the Infantry, I was thinking of a sidearm holster. I need to keep it under $100. But I want to get him something that he'll use and that will serve him well.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#1]
A quality ballpoint pen, black ink. As on officer (or even enlisted) he'll be signing forms all day long. Probably the one item that will be guarenteed to be used every day of his career.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#2]
A nice leatherman
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing right now. ANYTHING they want him to have or he is supposed to have, they will give him. Anything else will be taken from him till after basic. Wait and give it to him for a graduation gift.

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#5]
take him out to his favorite steak house and buy him a nice steak dinner
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Batter powered shaver?
Solar battery charger?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#8]
A glass bottle. Show all the ROPers what a well placed trident will turn their landscape into
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#9]
An extra toothbrush, mini-sized toothpaste tube, and razor...he will put them on display in the locker in immaculate unused condition for inspection days, and stick the ones he actually uses in his shaving kit.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy him a good meal.

After weeks of chow hall food & rations a good steak dinner is a nice touch.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 to no equipment.  They'll have him bag it up before basic starts.

Knives are definitely out, including leathermans and gerbers.

Anything he needs will be issued or will be purchased at PX.  A sidearm holster, the Army is standardized on that.  Those are issued as well as part of the CTA-50 equipment.

Best thing you can do is when he gets there, write him letters and send boxes with "pogey bait."  He'll get to share it with the rest of his platoon and it really does make a difference.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Get him long distance telephone cards.  I have had three sons go through basic and that is what seemed to be best.  Also be prepared to write lots of letters.  Hearing from firends back home helps a lot, especially during the first few months.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice watch?  G-Shock Atomic solar, maybe 80 bucks?  They won't take that away, and it will last many moons.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
hookers and blow.
don't get a pen, they get ripped off all the time.
A gerber (fuck leatherman) would be pretty nice.
An Oregon Aero kit would be really nice
I think the Surefire Aviators are awesome.  Might look at that.

Ripped off or lost. You want the cheapest GI pen the supply room has.

+1 on the suggestions for:

multitool
Oregon Aero kit
Surefire Aviator
good watch (G-Shocks kick ass)
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have a friend that's going to basic in a week and a half. After basic, he goes to OCS. He is going into combat arms. When he graduates from basic I wanted to get him a graduation gift. As he will probably end up a LT. in the Infantry, I was thinking of a sidearm holster. I need to keep it under $100. But I want to get him something that he'll use and that will serve him well.

Any ideas?

Leatherman...good idea
Quality pen...good idea
Batter powered shaver...good idea
Solar battery charger...good idea
G-Shock Atomic solar...good idea
Dinner when he get's back...good idea
Surefire Aviator...good idea

This is a Graduation present AFTER basic is overwith.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#16]
The book ON COMBAT by Grossman.

You can find it at killology.com or Amazon.com if you can not find it anywhere else.

Book Description
"This new book is what our young warriors need. At one of David’s last briefings a Senior NCO approached me and said, "Sir, the army spent 18 years and thousands of dollars teaching me to kill. This is the first time I have been taught how to deal with it." This book will allow those not fortunate enough to hear David do their own preparation for the ultimate test." Lt. Col. Hal McNair Professor at the Joint Spec Ops University

About the Author
A former army Ranger, paratrooper, West Point Professor of Military Science and author of the classic book, ON KILLING, Lt. Col. Dave Grossman is currently the Director of the Killology Research Group and one of the world's foremost experts in the field of human aggression and the psychology of combat.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The book ON COMBAT by Grossman.

You can find it at killology.com or Amazon.com if you can not find it anywhere else.

Book Description
"This new book is what our young warriors need. At one of David’s last briefings a Senior NCO approached me and said, "Sir, the army spent 18 years and thousands of dollars teaching me to kill. This is the first time I have been taught how to deal with it." This book will allow those not fortunate enough to hear David do their own preparation for the ultimate test." Lt. Col. Hal McNair Professor at the Joint Spec Ops University

About the Author
A former army Ranger, paratrooper, West Point Professor of Military Science and author of the classic book, ON KILLING, Lt. Col. Dave Grossman is currently the Director of the Killology Research Group and one of the world's foremost experts in the field of human aggression and the psychology of combat.

Another good idea. Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top