Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2005 6:46:47 AM EDT
My wife is sitting here with me.  I showed her the "Ponder gas mileage (1 mi/gal)" thread as an example of ARFCOMM humor.  She was laughing as hard as I was.

So I want to know if anyone else is like me when it comes to "anticipation" of natural disasters, and the looming breakdown of society.

Do you do any of the following (feel free to add your own examples) as a form of humor?  Or seriously?

* When foul weather is coming, you start looking around for the nearest firearm.

* A hurricane is coming, so you tell your wife to pick up ammo when she goes shopping.

* Even though it's 1,000 miles away, you walk around the house with your favorite carbine or service pistol drawing down on invisible targets.

* Multiple firearms surround you as you watch the weather forecast.

* Planning for large bands of rioting looters comes up regularly as a topic of conversation.

* Any reference to looters draws derisive laughter.

* Looters are referred to as "Targets."

* As news of a possible natural disaster gets closer, you run around the house dry-firing invisible looters for practice.

* Mrs Carbine_Lady sez: "your wife thinks you are a paranoid, bloodthirsty man."

Well, am I the only one who does this?  Mrs. Carbine_Lady sez: "so what if you post this and NO ONE else is as whacky as you?"
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:50:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Eager for the breakdown of society? Not at all.

I enjoy air conditioning, my toilet, my refrigerator, my pizza delivery dude, my credit card, and I also enjoy not having any major wounds from gunfire.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Mmmm, zombies.........
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry my Glock 27 on me 24/7.  You don't know when something bad is going to happen.  Paranoid?  Does your wife wear a seatbelt?  If so, she is paraniod she is going to be in a car accident.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#5]
You worry too much about looters.
Zombies are the real threat.  

ETA: Crap!  50cal beat me to it!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Being prepared for it is being wise.
Wishing for it is being a fool.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Eager for the breakdown of society? Not at all.

I enjoy air conditioning, my toilet, my refrigerator, my pizza delivery dude, my credit card, and I also enjoy not having any major wounds from gunfire.

Yup.

I think the words 'eager' and 'anticipation' are poorly chosen for this. For me, it's a realization that these things happen as the natural course of events of a society, and it's going to happen sooner or later. That being said, we might as well get it over with while I'm still young and have a better chance of surviving it.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Not really.
I have a very comfortable life and it would be sad to see it end.

However, there is also a part of me that is fairly disillusioned with the direction my country is going and recognizes the fact that it seems to be worsening. Further, I have no confidence that is fixable via the political process and that really is the crux of the problem.

IOW, periodic strife may be the lesser of two evils in the long run.
Would my grandkids be better off if I remain safe while my freedoms are eroded or would they be better off if there was SHTF with its resulting chaos and eventual stabilization with reinforcement of the Constitution, personal freedom and smaller gov't? Further, one must consider that chaos may devolve into anarchy which would be worse than what we are faced with now by a considerable amount.

Bottom line though, is that politicians do not impress me in the least for working towards the common good and the betterment of our nation.

These threads, though, always leave me with one overwhelming desire. More f'ing ammo!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Uh, it's just you.   (hopefully)
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Man, I never thought you all would take this so seriously.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Man, I never thought you all would take this so seriously.  

I didn't.

I kind of hope for the breakdown.   I think it would be a real test of your mettle, a real chance to LIVE each day, going to be satisified you made it.

The reality would likely suck big time, but it would be living to the max.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top