Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 1:12:12 AM EDT
Has anyone here ever used wheel spacers on a SUV or Truck to adjust for back spacing when adding larger tires ?  I have a 02 Chevy Trailblazer that needs new tires.  The stock tires are 245/70 R16.  I found a site where they put 265/75 R16 on the factory rims but need to add a 5/16 wheel spacer to clear a suspension part.  I found several ways of lifting the truck to clear the height of the new tires so I'm not worried about that.  But I'm not sure if wheel spacers are safe to use.  Some sites seem to say not for SUV/Truck use and some say they are okay.  Should I just get new rims with proper back space ? Or can I use wheel spacers ?

Thanks
Joe
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#1]
While you *can* use wheel spacers, it isn't a good idea at all, especially on a 4-wheel drive vehicle. They place more stress on the wheel bearings and other components.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you get the 'hub centric' ones or you will never be able to get your wheels balanced.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Avoid spacers - balancing and safety issues.  Been there, cost more money than doing it right.  Eventually had to do it right anyway.  Buy new rims - get tech support at rim mfg to verify fit.  Do not be surprised if new rims and wheels stick out much further than stock.  Even when backspace is right there may be other surprises like grinding 1/32 inch off of front brake calipers.  Chevy front ends can be a bitch, especially if you have an option package like ZR2.

Really try to not use spacers...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top