Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 10:46:06 PM EDT
watching Mail call on the History Channel and is it me or do all military instructors sound alike?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, and their breath smells the same too
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about all military instructors, but all Parris Island drill instuctors talk the same.

If you've heard the "frog voice", you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't know about all military instructors, but all Parris Island drill instuctors talk the same.

If you've heard the "frog voice", you know what I mean.

One of my DI's had a naturally deep-ass mean sounding voice so he didn't have to fake it.  He was much scarier than the ones who faked it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought they got the frog voice from screaming all the time. At least they do in the movies
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I thought they got the frog voice from screaming all the time. At least they do in the movies

No, and it is highly annoying to hear Marines talk like that on purpose off the drill field.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No.  They fake it because it's easier to sound louder and more intimidating than if they use their normal voice.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
No. They fake it because it's easier to sound louder and more intimidating than if they use their normal voice.

Negative. When you scream all day like we did you tend to lose your voice six or seven times. Using the frog was louder than a regular raspy voice. We would sound a teenager going through puberty.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No. They fake it because it's easier to sound louder and more intimidating than if they use their normal voice.

Negative. When you scream all day like we did you tend to lose your voice six or seven times. Using the frog was louder than a regular raspy voice. We would sound a teenager going through puberty.

What did I say?

It's quoted right there.

They fake it because it's easier to sound louder and more intimidating.

I know you lose your voice... which is why you use the frog voice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#9]
What did I say?

It's quoted right there.

We don't use the frog to itimadate. After you lose your voice it is our last resort.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What did I say?

It's quoted right there.

Yep, after your throat is raw from screaming and yelling your head off at each and every one of 75 incompetent, amphibious green morons for a week, the onyl way you will be able to speak in anything but a whisper is to revert to the frog voice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I remember trying not to laugh on day 1 of basic at one of the drill sergeants cause her voice kept cracking. I also remember what happened to us when one dumbass did laugh.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I remember trying not to laugh on day 1 of basic at one of the drill sergeants cause her voice kept cracking. I also remember what happened to us when one dumbass did laugh.

Are you kidding? Recruits are gut bustin' funny! One of the hardest thing to do keep a game face all day around you pigs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh I bet. Alot of us dumbasses, running round with our tails tucked between our legs. Fortunately, after the first three days I realized that smoking only equaled extra PT and would only leave me more fit to fight. Not that I screwed up on purpose, or even really screwed up that much, but didnt mind too much when someone else did.

But I do remember a couple of times when our drill sergeants would walk out of the room and just bust out laughing in thier office (with the door closed of course).

Ah, to realize drill sergeants ARE after all, human.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top