Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 10:10:22 PM EDT
The Louisiana Attorney General gets the following letter from me tomorrow.  (I'll use my real name in the final version.)

Charles C. Foti, Jr.
Attorney General
State of Louisiana

The Honorable Mr. Charles C. Foti, Jr:

I am writing this letter on behalf of the hundreds of thousands of legal gun owners in the state of Louisiana.  Gun ownership is not just a privilege; it is a right granted to Americans by the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Following the devastation of Hurricane Katrina and the subsequent flooding of New Orleans, Mayor C. Ray Nagin willfully violated the 2nd Amendment by ordering his remaining police force to confiscate guns from law-abiding citizens within New Orleans.  In addition to a violation of the 2nd Amendment, illegal search and seizures by law enforcement officials, strong-arm, gun-point confiscations, and gun theft by some officers violated the 4th, 5th, and 14th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution, as well as numerous provisions of the Louisiana Constitution, particularly the right to arms.

Law-abiding citizens who were fortunate enough to not have their weapons seized by law enforcement officials tell heroic tales of protecting their homes and neighbors homes from the lawlessness that ensued after this horrific natural disaster.  Those who kept their weapons actually helped police keep the peace.

Those whose weapons were confiscated by New Orleans officials became not only victims at the hands of law enforcement agents, but also victims of street gangs, looters, and other opportunists.  These individuals could not protect their families or homes – an inalienable right.

For this reason, I am asking you to file Federal and State charges against Mayor Nagin and any other official who willfully violated the 2nd Amendment and those provisions of the Louisiana Constitution that specifically ensure the right to arms and the protection of private property.  Elected officials and law enforcement agents are not above the law.

On your Internet home page it says the following: “Attorney General Charles Foti, Jr. has made it his goal to fight crime on all levels and to help you learn how to avoid becoming a victim.”  Law-abiding gun owners in New Orleans became victims at the hands of Mayor Nagin and his law enforcement agents.  I take you at your word that you will indeed ‘fight crime on all levels.”

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely.

Midnight-Sniper
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good, why ask for federal AND state charges, and what about civil rights charges?

Quoted:
The Louisiana Attorney General gets the following letter from me tomorrow.  (I'll use my real name in the final version.)

One of our members did something similar with his letter of resignation(posted it here for suggestions)
he forgot to change the name before he sent it to human resources....IIRC his screen name was Black Rifle Fever, heh
(YOURS would make a much bigger "impact" being sent to a .gov office)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#2]
How would you change that sentence?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How would you change that sentence?

I would ask an attorney for the actual laws that were broken
it might have something to do with the  Civil Rights Act of 1870

and would consider adding some "sales"

I implore you to charge the parties responsible for this grave violation of our countries trust,
history and constitution with the crimes that they are guilty of under?the Civil Rights Act of 1870?

I don't know what specific crime was committed and I don't know how much weight you
will have with an attorney general from another state, are you sending a letter to ag gonzales too?

sorry I couldn't help more
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Attorney General can only file state charges of Official Misconduct. Only the victims of said civil rights violations can pursue a remedy in the federal courts - in the form of a civil lawsuit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Attorney General can only file state charges of Official Misconduct.

Do you have to state the specific example of Official Misconduct?
ex: entering peaceful homes and disarming law-abiding citizens
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:46:57 PM EDT
[#6]
With respect, I am made *uncomfortable* about your statement that the 2nd Amendment "grants the RKBA."

It most certainly does NOT. The right to self-defense (Life, Liberty, Property) is an UNALIENABLE right, granted to Free Men only by God. It can neither be taken away or "granted" by any body of government. Nor is it granted on any body of government (how can a collection of bureaucrats have rights?), like states, to have standing armies of National Guard gun grabbers.

The Second Amendment merely RECOGNIZES this unalienable INDIVIDUAL right.

I am not trying to be an asshat, but when you talk to these politico-types, you've got to approach things from this kind of hard-nosed perspective, or you'll get ignored.

One of the FF was adamant about this explanation. He fought for the Amendments to PROTECT individuals from the government's ever-increasing powers and authority by specifying some basic individual rights - and protected us from future oppression by creating the 10th Amendment.

We haven't done our share to protect our freedoms by limiting government through votes. It will eventually come to a question of force.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:18:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
With respect, I am made *uncomfortable* about your statement that the 2nd Amendment "grants the RKBA."

It most certainly does NOT. The right to self-defense (Life, Liberty, Property) is an UNALIENABLE right, granted to Free Men only by God. It can neither be taken away or "granted" by any body of government. Nor is it granted on any body of government (how can a collection of bureaucrats have rights?), like states, to have standing armies of National Guard gun grabbers.

I am not trying to be an asshat, but when you talk to these politico-types, you've got to approach things from this kind of hard-nosed perspective, or you'll get ignored.

One of the FF was adamant about this explanation. He fought for the Amendments to PROTECT individuals from the government's ever-increasing powers and authority by specifying some basic individual rights - and protected us from future oppression by creating the 10th Amendment.

We haven't done our share to protect our freedoms by limiting government through votes. It will eventually come to a question of force.

Although that was the original intent, I am afraid that gun ownership and the RKBA in practice today is now granted by the government.   Do you have to file a Form 4473 every time you buy a firearm?  Did you apply for a CCW permit?  If so, then the government is granting you the right to RKBA.  Many people, myself included, live in states where the right to carry a firearm is not possible without jail time and the eternal loss of gun ownership privileges.  

It is sad that this is the state of affairs today but to deny it is naive
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have to state anything.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I dunno, I think sticking with your screen name might make more of an impact.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Excellent letter, hope it gets some people taken care of
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#11]
You missed a point - those guns weren't just confiscated, they were STOLEN.

Nobody got a receipt.  There's no provision for returning them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You missed a point - those guns weren't just confiscated, they were STOLEN.

Nobody got a receipt.  There's no provision for returning them.

+1

hell anyone could have posed as an agent and stole them guns

**dont forget to change your name!^^
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although that was the original intent, I am afraid that gun ownership and the RKBA in practice today is now granted by the government. Do you have to file a Form 4473 every time you buy a firearm? Did you apply for a CCW permit? If so, then the government is granting you the right to RKBA. Many people, myself included, live in states where the right to carry a firearm is not possible without jail time and the eternal loss of gun ownership privileges.

It is sad that this is the state of affairs today but to deny it is naive

The 2nd Amendment forbids government from infringing the right, which the People aready have.

Yes, every time you fill out a 4473 your right to keep and bear arms is being violated.  To be "permitted" or "forbidden" to carry a firearm violates your right to keep and bear arms.

When government licenses firearms dealers, it infringes upon our rights.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Attorney General can only file state charges of Official Misconduct. Only the victims of said civil rights violations can pursue a remedy in the federal courts - in the form of a civil lawsuit.

Is not illegal confiscation not official Misconduct...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

While I certainly agree with your statement about the Government not having the power to grant or deny rights (and would have used this reply stating as such) your statement "granted to Free Men only by God" is saying the same thing with a different Master. Your rights automatically exist as a free human being and are not granted / denied by any government or reglious belief.

Sooo... how about "my rights exist as a free human being"?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have to state anything.

How would you state it ?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#17]
>>>
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top