Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2005 9:15:23 PM EDT
So I was at the post office today shipping out some goodies to some of my customers. On the way in I noticed a small parcel parked on top of one of the mailboxes outside in front. To my amazement it was still there 15 minutes later when I left.

But it gave me an idea for a little social experiement.

Assume that small parcel was addressed in large print to Rolex, Inc. How long would it last parked on top of a mailbox in FRONT of the post office in broad daylight?

I figured I could park on the back of the lot and even take a picture of the Heinekin drinker who finally nabs the package.

I could even put a small stone in the box to approximate the weight of a expensive watch. We can even put in a note for the person who takes it. We could even post his picture on the INTERNET (assuming I can get a good one).

I'm thinking I just may do this.

Anyone got any recommendations for the note?

Anyone want to take a guess at how long it will last before it is taken?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]
less than 5 minutes
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#2]
15 minutes max if it's during the busy hours.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds fun. DO IT!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#4]
this is called entrapment.  besides how do you prove the person wasn't gonna return it to the rightful owner.  there are still some honest people in this world.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#5]
3 minutes during busy hours
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
this is called entrapment.  besides how do you prove the person wasn't gonna return it to the rightful owner.  there are still some honest people in this world.

I ain't gonna do a citizens arrest.

BTW, unattended is NOT entrapment.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
How big of a PO?  If it is a city sized, 5-10min, if it is rural, then it might get turned in to the postmaster.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How big of a PO?  If it is a city sized, 5-10min, if it is rural, then it might get turned in to the postmaster.

Suburb of Ft. Lauderdale.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Actually no it isn't entrapment.  You are merely leaving an item there, you aren't forcing someone to steal it.  It's no different than the show I watched the other night where police staged an argument between a guy and girl then left the girl's running vehicle parked near some young thugs.  The kids did as expected and stole the vehicle.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT! WRONG!

Entrapment would be an officer going up to a guy who is a known robber and pestering him again and again finally enticing him to commit a specific crime. Unattended in no way coerces someone to commit an act, thus not entrapment.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

gone in 60 seconds
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That rock would be OWNED then!  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Dude!  You have way too much time on your hands!

Be sure to post pics!

I say ten minutes, tops. Assuming it is stolen, and not just placed into the drop by some nice person.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I say 7-9 minutes just to be different. It sound like a good experiment. Tag.

Oh, add a note to Rolex inside to explain why they got a rock. Also when you set it there, don't dress like a terrorist.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#16]
A rock? Thats the best you can think to put in there?  I bet you can come up with better, and let him take it home and open it up to see what he got.

Pics are a must for the pick up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So I was at the post office today shipping out some goodies to some of my customers. On the way in I noticed a small parcel parked on top of one of the mailboxes outside in front. To my amazement it was still there 15 minutes later when I left.

Assume that small parcel was addressed in large print to Rolex, Inc. How long would it last parked on top of a mailbox in FRONT of the post office in broad daylight?

I figured I could park on the back of the lot and even take a picture of the Heinekin drinker who finally nabs the package.

I could even put a small stone in the box to approximate the weight of a expensive watch. We can even put in a note for the person who takes it. We could even post his picture on the INTERNET (assuming I can get a good one).

Is this a Hypothetical situation?

If not I am sure YOUR character and moral value system would "force" you to see that the rightful
owner takes possession of this valuable and expensive keepsake.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
A rock? Thats the best you can think to put in there?  I bet you can come up with better, and let him take it home and open it up to see what he got.

I think I see what you're saying.

dog turd > rock
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm open for suggestions.

Address will be a fake but it can't be anything dangerous in case it does get dropped in the box due to the fact that a postal employee might have to open it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dog turd > rock

Hell go all out.
Flour and a note saying "Haha! Five days and your OWNED bitch!"  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#21]
There was a standing joke in New York City during one of its many Sanitations Strikes in the 1960’s- early 70’s on how to get rid of your garbage.

Get a box and fill it with whatever you have to throw out.
Wrap it up very nicely in gift wrap, ribbons and all.
Set it down on a park bench or its equivalent.
Leave.
Minutes later the box and the garbage inside will be gone.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this a Hypothetical situation?

If not I am sure YOUR character and moral value system would "force" you to see that the rightful
owner takes possession of this valuable and expensive keepsake.

You might wanna read it again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is there address-purely to assist with authenticity

The Rolex Watch Co. Ltd.
3-7, rue Francois-Dussaud
CH-1211 Geneve 24
Switzerland
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I left my Seadweller on the bed of a hotel room.  I ran back when I realized that I did have it on.  When I ran into the room, the watch was on the dresser. I found the housekeeper, she couldnt speak a lick of english.  Gave her a $20.  She knew what it was for.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#25]
This reminds me of something I did once when I was a teenager.

One saturday night, me and a friend concocted a plan based around a gift wrapped box of crap(the stinky, brown kind). We left it in a fairly busy intersection where we knew it would be picked up and someone did. Long story short- there was a lot of swerving and screeching brakes followed by our "package" sailing out the window.

If only they had video cameras back then.

ETA: Are Rolex's valuable or something? I see guys selling them for $30 a pop at the flea market.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Include the website address on the note so the perp can see the pic.

...then blackmail him/her to get 1 BILLION DOLLARS!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow, I quoted myself.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dog turd > rock

Hell go all out.

Yeah I was thinking dog turd also... or on a one of those glass stink bombs rigged to break some how.   The flour and note is the best so far I think.

edit for spelling as usual
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dog turd > rock

Hell go all out.

Yeah I was thinking dog turd also... or on a one of those glass stink bombs rigged to break some how.   The flower and note is the best so far I think.

Again, we must plan for the possibility this will be opened by an unsuspecting postal employee.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dog turd > rock

Hell go all out.

Yeah I was thinking dog turd also... or on a one of those glass stink bombs rigged to break some how.   The flower and note is the best so far I think.

Not flower. Flour.
This small distinction will make a HUGE difference in the outcome.

Course, its probably pretty illegal to do that. But hey, anything thats fun will either kill ya or put ya in jail so fuck it. Live on the edge.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

One saturday night, me and a friend concocted a plan based around a gift wrapped box of crap(the stinky, brown kind). We left it in a fairly busy intersection where we knew it would be picked up and someone did. Long story short- there was a lot of swerving and screeching brakes followed by our "package" sailing out the window.

Around Christmas one year when I was a teenager someone put a giftwrapped box in the street with fishing line attached to it. The line ran back to the hiding place of some jokers. My friends saw to box and stopped to grab it. When they reached for the box, it moved several feet away. My friends hopped back in their car, did a u-turn, and drove over the box
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dog turd > rock

Hell go all out.

Again, we must plan for the possibility this will be opened by an unsuspecting postal employee.

A postal employee would just ship it, not open it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dog turd > rock

Hell go all out.

The box won't have postage on it. If some HONEST person drops it in the box it will be going nowhere.

At that point it may be opened by an employee seeking information on the owner.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dog turd > rock

Hell go all out.

The box won't have postage on it. If some HONEST person drops it in the box it will be going nowhere.

If your there with a camera, just run over and ask the postman for your box back.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dog turd > rock

Hell go all out.

Yeah I was thinking dog turd also... or on a one of those glass stink bombs rigged to break some how.   The flour and note is the best so far I think.

Use a packing slip and one on the pocket holders that displays it for the address, that will keep the box from being opend
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Fuck it.

Find a big ass snake and stick him in there. Preferably something with a bad disposition. A water moccasin comes to mind.

That'll make whoever opens it shit little green apples.

Or, if you want to be a bit more friendly to the box opener, maybe a dove or two.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Use a packing slip and one on the pocket holders that displays it for the address, that will keep the box from being opend

Didn't plan on using a valid return address or claiming the box.

Regardless, when you do things like this you have to make sure that nobody innocent can get screwed over. So random "suprises" really aren't an option.

I don't mind photographing some fuckstick thief but the contents have to be benign. A note won't hurt or scare anyone if they happen to be innocent.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Regardless, when you do things like this you have to make sure that nobody innocent can get screwed over. So random "suprises" really aren't an option.

I don't mind photographing some fuckstick thief but the contents have to be benign. A note won't hurt or scare anyone if they happen to be innocent.

Soooo....That rules out the water moccasin doesnt it.......
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't need a valid return address, just put someones elses address you want to prank
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd put a smashed-to-shit cheapie lookalike watch, along with a note pointing to a website that you'll stick the photos up on.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Careful. In the current political climate of the country and in particular, South Florida, it could be trouble. We usually get about 2 calls a week in Tallahassee for suspicious packages left at post office mailboxes, usually from old people who religiously follow other peoples activities and feel that a package left at a mailbox because it doesn't fit inside is automatically a bomb.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#42]
You know what SA....it might surprise you.

Similar story, about 15 years ago I was single and an old girlfriend had come back into town for a few days to visit her family. We had a very physical relationship and over the 2-3 days we hooked up on several occasions. Anyway the last night she was in town I met her at a bar and took my camera (a 35mm Canon SLR) to get some last pictures.

I absent-mindedly left my camera and keys on the hood of my car while we took her car to go make out somewhere. DOH!

I didn't even think about it until about 3 hours when she dropped me off and I noticed the camera and car kets were still sitting there.

Now...granted this was YEARS ago and it wasn't Miami but I was still pretty damned shocked as this wasn't the greatest neighborhood and it right outside a bar.

And 'yes' it still probably would have been worth it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Careful. In the current political climate of the country and in particular, South Florida, it could be trouble. We usually get about 2 calls a week in Tallahassee for suspicious packages left at post office mailboxes, usually from old people who religiously follow other peoples activities and feel that a package left at a mailbox because it doesn't fit inside is automatically a bomb.

img98.imageshack.us/img98/9904/iamwithstupid5kp.gif

I'd leave it at a bustop or in a mall parking lot or something.

Good idea. Have some bags or boxes of junk and exit from a mall, dropping it on a sidewalk "without noticing" it, then observe and report.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#45]
One I have always wanted to do was call Dewalt  and get a large collection of their boxes, weight them up about right, and leave them in the back of a truck and see what happens in diffrent places.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Include the website address on the note so the perp can see the pic.

rgr that..

Start a pool, I'm in for 47mins..
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#47]
The time it takes to get stolen all depends on the people in the neighborhood.

I have a feeling that it would get stolen just as fast in some uppity neighborhoods as it would in some lower class neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:17:47 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT! WRONG!

Entrapment would be an officer going up to a guy who is a known robber and pestering him again and again finally enticing him to commit a specific crime. Unattended in no way coerces someone to commit an act, thus not entrapment.

The way I've heard it, it would involve enticing him to do something he is not inclined already to do -- pretty close to what you describe, though a known robber would already be inclined to commit another crime.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:24:45 AM EDT
[#49]
What would be handy is a phone number underneath the return address or on the mailing label, to see if the person picking it up tries to contact that number in order to return the box.   If the announcement on the voicemail / answering machine were to left them know they were owned, so much the better.........
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:31:15 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

ETA: Are Rolex's valuable or something? I see guys selling them for $30 a pop at the flea market.

Rolex Date-just two-tone(18 ct and stainless band) start at $5,375
Rolex Day-Date-sloid 18ct star at aruon $20,000
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top