Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 8:26:53 PM EDT
When the weatherman says a hurricane is making landfall is he refering to the eye of the hurricane crossing the beach? Or some point of the storm in front of the eye?

Bumblebee(lifelong land lubber)Bob
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
They're talking about the center of the eye making landfall.  At least thats what this land lubber has learned watching all this coverage.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
It's my understanding they refer to the eye.  Not much else for reference, the damn thing's HUNDREDS  of miles in diameter.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The winds are strongest surrounding the eye, so that's why they watch where it hits.  The most damage occurs from those winds, but the dirty side is also extremely bad.

HH
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#4]
So it's the wall of the eye, or the center? I would guess the wall of the eye.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Inside the eye, nothing is happening.  It's calm, serene and dull.  Just NEXT to the eye is where the most serious action is taking place.

HH
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#6]
No...... they are referring to the leading edge of the eye touching land.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#7]
When a hurricane makes landfall, that area has already experienced half of the hurricane.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool! Thanks guys.

Now I can say I learned something today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top