Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 6:44:59 PM EDT
In all three shootings they were running from the Police reaching in their pockets............

Local Latino activists to form district of national organization
ADRIENNE A. AGUIRRE - Staff Writer
September 22, 2005
www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/09/23/news/inland/20_45_409_22_05.txt
SAN MARCOS ---- In response to the recent deputy-involved shootings in Vista and the formation of the Minuteman border watch group, local Latino activists say they are forming the first North County district of the oldest, largest and most politically influential Latino civil rights organization in the nation.

The League of United Latin American Citizens is to Latinos what the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has been to blacks, and it will bring national attention to local issues, said activist and longtime Vista resident John Herrera.

"This is an organization that has access to the White House and all the government agencies, the attorney general," he said. "They have clout and influence."

LULAC formed in 1929 in response to the aftermath of Texas becoming part of the United States, when 77,000 Mexicans became U.S. citizens, officials said. Despite their legal status, Mexicans were discriminated against and were often victims of violence. Those are issues that Latinos are facing today in North County, LULAC officials said Thursday, and those are issues that LULAC has defeated and will continue to defeat.

LULAC has worked for the desegregation of Latinos in schools, employment and housing locally and across the nation, officials said. The organization has helped get voting and jury service rights for Latinos and organized mass voter registration for Latinos.

On Thursday night, about 20 people gathered for the first formational meeting at a private home in San Marcos. Representatives from LULAC's state civil rights commission came from Orange and Los Angeles counties to help its next district get started.

Gilberto Flores, former state director for LULAC, went over the history and accomplishments of the organization.

"The most important element of LULAC is the councils," he told the group. "Because the councils are established in the communities where you live and work."

Attendees included merchants, lawyers, retirees, educators and students. Herrera said the issues of immigrant bashing by groups like the Minutemen and the use of excessive force by deputies affect all Latinos.

"Everyone in the Latino community is a target because of skin color," he said. "You see it happening with immigration and gang sweeps."

The North County group would be the 19th district of LULAC that has more than 120,000 members throughout the nation and Puerto Rico, officials said.

"I think that Latinos need to stand together," said Juan Necochea, an education professor at Cal State San Marcos. "What separates us from the undocumented worker is a piece of paper. That's it."

Members of the group said they plan to visit residents in the Vista Townsite neighborhood were the recent deputy-involved shootings occurred.

"When we got a call about three Mexicanos getting killed in five days, that got our attention," Flores said. "We in LULAC have seen this happen throughout the U.S. and we want to see it stop."

LULAC officials say they see the Minutemen as a vigilante group working against what needs to be done to fight terrorism.

"We view them as a domestic threat," Flores said. "They aren't doing our country any good by creating hate. What we need is unity to fight our common enemy."
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
They had a community meeting, waving the mexican flag and chanting "justice" in spanish

Anger erupts at Vista forum after 3 shootings in 5 days
By Adam Klawonn and Jenny Shearer
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITERS
August 11, 2005
www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20050811-9999-7m11forum.html
VISTA – A public forum that city and law enforcement officials offered as a goodwill gesture after a string of fatal, deputy-involved shootings was upstaged last night by community anger.

The two-hour meeting was pitched as a way to heal a city, featuring a question-and-answer session with San Diego County Sheriff Bill Kolender, District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis, Mayor Morris Vance and Vista's police chief, sheriff's Capt. Rob Ahern.

Instead, it consisted of inflammatory questions, shouts, jeers, insults and personal stories from Latinos who felt three deadly shootings in a five-day period was a poignant reminder of deeper racial issues in Vista. After an hour, the panel stopped answering questions. Vance spent most of the time looking at his hands.

"This was to be expected," City Manager Rita Geldert said as she watched from the crowd. "It just means that we need to listen (to the Latino community)."

The forum was called after a deputy shot Jesus Eduardo Manzo dead Aug. 1 after a foot chase in Vista's predominantly Latino Townsite neighborhood.

About 70 of Manzo's family members and friends walked to the meeting from Townsite, waving pictures of the 23-year-old and signs that read, "Vista Latino Community Demands Respect" and "Stop Police Brutality."

They were joined by others such as Sylvia Ramos, who lost her son Sergio in a deputy-involved shooting in Vista a few years ago; Julian Lee, 38, who won a recent lawsuit against authorities for wrongful arrest; and lawyer Doug Gilliland, who represented Lee and is now working for Nancy Manzo Mendez, Jesus' sister.

Gilliland said the family wants an outside investigation of the shooting.

After arriving at Lincoln Middle School, they and others peppered the panel with pointed questions. About 350 attended, with one boy in the back holding a large Mexican flag.

The first question asked why sheriff's deputies do not respond to calls for drug-dealing activities, then the questioner urged deputies to use other methods to stop alleged criminals besides killing them.

The audience applauded.

Ahern explained that deputies have a "toolbox" of methods, and that they bring all of the tools in the toolbox when they're not sure what they might face.

"We are aware of your concerns about our toolbox, and that is part of the investigation. Thank you," he said.

Panelists declined to answer direct questions about any of the shootings.

At one point, the crowd chanted "Justice! Justice!" in Spanish while stomping their feet.

Manzo was the last of three men killed in Vista by sheriff's deputies over a five-day period.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Shooting Victim's Family Files Claims
Sisters Say They Want Justice For Brother's Death

August 12, 2005
www.10news.com/news/4846114/detail.html?treets=sand&tid=2655009123813&tml=sand_8pm&tmi=sand_8pm_1_10000108122005&ts=H
VISTA, Calif. -- A Vista family made a tearful plea for justice Friday afternoon in the shooting death of their brother.

Sheriff's deputies shot 23-year-old Jesus Manzo earlier this month in Vista.

Now, they're taking a customary step before actually suing the county. The family filed three claims for $10 million each on behalf of Manzo, his baby girl and his mother.

But his sisters said what is most important is getting justice for everyone involved in the Vista shootings.

The horror Maria Melchor says she witnessed is difficult to imagine.

She said she heard the shots and ran outside to see her brother -- already dead -- being mauled by police dogs.

Now the sisters want to find out why Manzo and two other young Hispanic men were killed by sheriff's deputies in less than a week.

Sheriff's officials originally thought Manzo was a gang member, but were later proved wrong.

They said he ran from deputies and appeared to pull something out of his pocket.

At a community forum earlier this week, Sheriff Bill Kolender promised a thorough investigation.

But Manzo's attorney wants more and is requesting the FBI be allowed to conduct an independent investigation.

Manzo's sisters want to set their brother's record straight, saying he was not perfect, but was not in a gang and did not deserve to die this way.

The sheriff's department could not comment Friday.

The Citizens Law Enforcement Review Board says it will review this case. That is standard procedure, but the board is also calling for an independent audit of the sheriff's department, given the fact that so many shootings happened in the same area in such a short period of time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#3]
the lesson I'm drawing from this is don't run from the po-po whilst pulling stuff out of your pocket.

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Why don't they give thier boys "Don't fuck with the po-po" lessons???

Hey, it's still a free country... from whatever group you want.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the lesson I'm drawing from this is don't run from the po-po whilst pulling stuff out of your pocket.

edited for spelling

They are "new" to the Country, I guess no one told them that..........
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

edited for spelling

jesus tittyfucking christ, surely the penalty for doing it south of the border is even worse!oh wait, right yeah, they could have come from Canada.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
They can always go home if they dont like it
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Ooops, I thought I posted the story with the situation description
This has two of them, they seem justified, the third one the Police
came up when the guy was standing in his front yard..........he ran

Three Deputy-Involved Shootings Occur In Four Days
Second Of Three Shooting Victims Identified

August 2, 2005
www.10news.com/news/4800132/detail.html
SAN DIEGO -- Authorities Tuesday released the name of a 26-year-old armed robbery suspect fatally shot by a San Diego County sheriff's deputy shortly after a holdup in Vista.

The man's death was the second of three deputy-involved shootings in the inland North County community in four days.

Jorge Ramirez and an accomplice allegedly stole cash from a convenience store in the 700 block of Shadowridge Drive about 9 p.m. Friday, San Diego County Medical Examiner's and sheriff's officials said.

Shortly afterward, two men matching the descriptions of the suspects were spotted in a black Jeep, which was also associated with a burglary in Vista the day before, sheriff's homicide Lt. Thomas Bennett said.

Sheriff's deputies stopped the Jeep in the 1100 block of Lupine Hills Drive, but Ramirez and his alleged accomplice ran off, Bennett said.

A deputy opened fire when Ramirez allegedly reached into his clothing for something, Bennett said.

Ramirez was given CPR but died at the scene, Bennett said.

His accomplice remained at large Tuesday, sheriff's officials said.

The first of three deputy-involved shootings in Vista occurred Thursday night, when deputies shot a man to death at a residence after he attacked them with dumbbells, Bennett said.

The deputies went to the residence in the 800 block of North Citrus Avenue after one of the man's roommates reported he was acting strangely, Bennett said.

The man, whose name was not immediately reported, attacked the deputies as they entered his bedroom.

The deputies responded by using a spray to try to subdue the man, but the attack continued, and two of the deputies opened fire, Bennett said.

One of the deputies suffered a contusion to his arm during the dumbbell attack. The other two were uninjured, Bennett said.

The most recent deputy-involved shooting occurred Monday, when a deputy thought a suspect was reaching for a gun and fatally shot the man during a foot pursuit through a residential neighborhood.

The object the man allegedly reached for Monday afternoon turned out to be a Leatherman-type multipurpose tool, sheriff's Capt. Clay Reynard said.

The 23-year-old man's name was not immediately reported.

There have been a total of eight deputy-involved shootings in San Diego County this year, five of them in Vista.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

edited for spelling

jesus tittyfucking christ, surely the penalty for doing it south of the border is even worse!oh wait, right yeah, they could have come from Canada.

Maybe they were thinking........the Cops let me get away with everything else, maybe they will let me kick their a$$e$ too
(eta: special order 40 for those that have not heard of it)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#10]
GREAT! Just what this nation needs, another hate whitey group. Why dont we have a similar organization for whites, OH thats right we'd be called racist as would any such group Dontcha love those double standards

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
GREAT! Just what this nation needs, another hate whitey group. Why dont we have a similar organization for whites, OH thats right we'd be called racist as would any such group Dontcha love those double standards

I think it is just a new local branch of a previously existing national(racist)latino group
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Manzo's sisters want to set their brother's record straight, saying he was not perfect, but was not in a gang and did not deserve to die this way.

Doesn't this line usually translate in to an extensive criminal record?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Doesn't this line usually translate in to an extensive criminal record?

Well.........lets put ourselves in his position

You are standing in your front yard
A Police car pulls up, naturally you would.......
1)wave to the Cops and ask them whats up
2)ask them if they need help finding an address
3)run like your a$$ is on fire
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Lessons learned:

Don't run from the police
Don't rob convenience stores
Don't instigate an attack on a police officer
Don't pull objects out of your pocket when the police have drawn down on you
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Well... I know I am going to get in trouble for this but it's late.  I never made it past the third paragraph of this badly written article:

LULAC formed in 1929 in response to the aftermath of Texas becoming part of the United States.

If my math-fu is correct that is 83 years after Texas was admitted to the Union in 1846 as the twenty-eighth state.

Are Mexicans REALLY that lazy?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Thats not the  route they have decided to go
they are suing the Police for millions
attempting to stop the Police from chasing criminals
accusing the Minutemen of aiding\abetting terrorists
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well... I know I am going to get in trouble for this but it's late.  I never made it past the third paragraph of this badly written article:

LULAC formed in 1929 in response to the aftermath of Texas becoming part of the United States.

If my math-fu is correct that is 83 years after Texas was admitted to the Union in 1846 as the twenty-eighth state.

Are Mexicans REALLY that lazy?

They are just trying to spin the article

LULAC formed in 1929 in response to the aftermath of Texas becoming part of the United States, when 77,000 Mexicans became U.S. citizens, officials said. Despite their legal status, Mexicans were discriminated against and were often victims of violence. Those are issues that Latinos are facing today in North County, LULAC officials said Thursday, and those are issues that LULAC has defeated and will continue to defeat.

They want to ignore the violence that the illegals are responsible for and
make out like the Americans(especially the Minutemen) are killing illegals

As usual, they are backa$$wards
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Screw LULAC. Another group that looks for racism where it does not exist. A while ago they had a demonstration in some dinky little village around here where the city council refused to rename some building after a Latino soldier that served in WWII, and the tards cited racism even though about 99% of the population there is Latino. During the demonstration, some of them started yelling about how people had better listen to LULAC because "Latinos are the future, Latinos are the power." I'd bet they would have shit a brick if some white boy would have said the same thing about whites.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#19]
So... the difference between them and illegals is "just a piece of paper," and to root for the Mexicans.

Then they say that America is great and that the MinuteMen are vigilantes that harm the country....

Pick one and stick with it. You can't have it both ways, you fucking illegal immigrant sympathizers.

ETA: "LULAC formed in 1929 in response to the aftermath of Texas becoming part of the United States (my math-fu says that this is a shitty spin as Texas joined in the 1800s), when 77,000 Mexicans became U.S. citizens"

Probably the best thing that ever happened to them. Now STFU and enojoy your free country without shitting on it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Gimme a break !

In all of San Diego all they could get was 20 people to attend the first ever, all important meeting !

Brother, with this kind of organization, they should be embarrassed to tell the press.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So... the difference between them and illegals is "just a piece of paper," and to root for the Mexicans.

They are referring to their fake IDs
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't have anything against LULAC-in fact, when I was in college, LULAC had some super-fine Mexican babes in it, I started dating one who was from San Luis, AZ. OR was it San Luis, Mexico. . . .?  Well who cares-she was hot as hell, and so were her friends!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I don't have anything against LULAC-in fact, when I was in college, LULAC had some super-fine Mexican babes in it, I started dating one who was from San Luis, AZ. OR was it San Luis, Mexico. . . .?  Well who cares-she was hot as hell, and so were her friends!!

Latinas are hot, I think(hope) I might be dating one(in particular)shortly

The problem is with the criminals that cross over our border without any controls at all
how many of them have felony records or communicable diseases.....we don't know because
they don't go through our legal border entrances(double\triple immigration but deport illegals)
Our .gov has even given them immunity from many crimes that would send a Citizen to jail\prison
most likely because they would never have enough room in the jails\prisons to keep them all........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top