Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 4:03:34 PM EDT
My neighbor told me a little while ago about a story he had seen on TV about a gas station in Texas that had a giant line of cars waiting to fill up.  A guy in a big truck with something like a 500 gallon gas storage tank (which may have been on a trailer) filled this huge tank as the people waiting in line behind him stared in disbelief.  He then pulled out of the gas station and parked by the street, and put out a sign that said "gas: $10/gal." or something like that.  Shortly thereafter, the gas station's tanks ran dry.

The enraged motorists who had been in line behind this person then walked over and proceeded to beat the living crap out of him.

Anyone have more info on this?

--Mike
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Hahahaha!

I guess his entrepreneurial spirit overshadowed his need to bring some 'protection'.

Stuff like that happened in Phoenix when the pipeline broke a while back. Folks would show up to gas stations with truck beds full of gas cans, even little red wagons full of gas cans, fill 'em up, and sell them for increased prices to people that didn't want to wait in line.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#3]
When returning to Slidell, LA from Memphis post-Katrina, most of the gas stations had signs up indicating the maximum allowable amount each car could purchase... I guess this particular station in Texas didn't!

The lines were just unreal, especially as I neared Jackson, MS (south of Jackson, there was NO gas)... on those small-town exits where there were a couple of gas stations, the line was out of the station, down the street, and a half-mile onto the interstate.

Fortunately, I had bought enough gas in Memphis to make it all the way to Slidell (for a quick overnight recon mission) and back without having to stop.  On my second trip down (to stay), I brought even more gas (to run the generator for a few weeks), including three 5-gallon cans stapped to the roof.  The couple of times I stopped for food/drink or to pee, I was genuinely nervous that I would be jumped for my precious cargo of gas.

--Mike
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like BS to me, but if true they should have kicked his ass and taken his gas.

Being an "entrepreneur" is one thing, being a predatory asshole is another.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sounds like BS to me, but if true they should have kicked his ass and taken his gas.

Being an "entrepreneur" is one thing, being a predatory asshole is another.

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't heard anything about that.  Been watching the news all day and nothing on it about it.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Food not oil!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#8]
We have lines here in El Paso.  They aren't long, but there are no lines at all.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
We have lines here in El Paso.  They aren't long, but there are no lines at all.

What?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?

I meant to say:  Normally, there are no lines at all, but the effects of Rita are impacting even far West Texas.

My grammar-foo is weak tonight.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?

I meant to say:  Normally, there are no lines at all, but the effects of Rita are impacting even far West Texas.

My grammar-foo is weak tonight.

No problem, I was cracking up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#13]
 Urban Legend, is my bet.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?

I think it's a Zen riddle, like the sound of one hand clapping.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?

I think it's a Zen riddle, like the sound of one hand clapping.

What is the sound of a cherry blossom falling?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My neighbor told me a little while ago about a story he had seen on TV about a gas station in Texas that had a giant line of cars waiting to fill up.  A guy in a big truck with something like a 500 gallon gas storage tank (which may have been on a trailer) filled this huge tank as the people waiting in line behind him stared in disbelief.  He then pulled out of the gas station and parked by the street, and put out a sign that said "gas: $10/gal." or something like that.  Shortly thereafter, the gas station's tanks ran dry.

LOL! My kind of guy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top