Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 2:02:00 PM EDT
I'm really sick and tired of receiving unsolicited credit card applications in the mail, but in particular this rant is about Citibank.

I'm getting a stinking application from them AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK, and that's not just me - my wife, 8 year old son, and 5 year old daughter. We got into this hell to get the frequent flyer mile credit for the family, and of course AA requires everyone to have their own card. Gee - could it be so they can forward your info to Citibank so they can send you a credit app? I've called them before to get them to stop sending me the apps, which worked for all of two weeks. I'm on the phone again with them now.

I'm tired of having to shred the mountain of paperwork they send me.

Rant off.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You can opt out of them at the CB level.   Doesn't always work 100%, but it helps.

The credit bureaus offer a toll-free number that enables you to “opt-out” of having pre-approved credit offers sent to you for two years. Call 1-888-5-OPTOUT (567-8688) for more information. When you call, you’ll be asked for personal information, including your home telephone number, your name and your Social Security number. The information you provide is confidential and will be used only to process your request to opt out of receiving pre-screened offers of credit.

In addition, you can notify the three major credit bureaus that you do not want personal information about you shared for promotional purposes—an important step toward eliminating unsolicited mail. Write your own letter or use the sample letter on the back of this Alert to limit the amount of information the credit bureaus will share about you. Send your letter to each of the three major credit bureaus:

Equifax, Inc.
Options
PO Box 740123
Atlanta, GA 30374-0123

Experian
Consumer Opt-Out
701 Experian Parkway
Allen, TX 75013

TransUnion
Name Removal Option
P.O. Box 505
Woodlyn, PA 19094

www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/optoutalrt.htm

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
We receive at least 10 a week.  You'd think they'd get the message that we're not interested.

HH
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can opt out of them at the CB level.   Doesn't always work 100%, but it helps.

The credit bureaus offer a toll-free number that enables you to “opt-out” of having pre-approved credit offers sent to you for two years. Call 1-888-5-OPTOUT (567-8688) for more information. When you call, you’ll be asked for personal information, including your home telephone number, your name and your Social Security number. The information you provide is confidential and will be used only to process your request to opt out of receiving pre-screened offers of credit.

In addition, you can notify the three major credit bureaus that you do not want personal information about you shared for promotional purposes—an important step toward eliminating unsolicited mail. Write your own letter or use the sample letter on the back of this Alert to limit the amount of information the credit bureaus will share about you. Send your letter to each of the three major credit bureaus:

Equifax, Inc.
Options
PO Box 740123
Atlanta, GA 30374-0123

Experian
Consumer Opt-Out
701 Experian Parkway
Allen, TX 75013

TransUnion
Name Removal Option
P.O. Box 505
Woodlyn, PA 19094

Tag for later action. Thank you Sir.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've already got my name in the "don't send me credit apps" database, but if you have a "business relationship" with them then they can bypass that requirement.

I'll send a letter to the credit bureaus though. Hard to believe that they can share that kind of information....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
You can do a couple of things. You can use the return envelope to return all the crap you get sent. Or you can have your dog apply. My brother's lab has a couple of cards.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've already got my name in the "don't send me credit apps" database, but if you have a "business relationship" with them then they can bypass that requirement.

I'll send a letter to the credit bureaus though. Hard to believe that they can share that kind of information....

Zhukov, I would be interested to learn of the "buisness relationship" exception to the rule.   IM me if you can.

I know the .gov is putting teeth into alot of these non disclosure requirements because of the high profile and ever increasing instances if ID theft/fraud.  I predict some CC company liability in cases of pre-approved offers reeeeeal soon.

NorCal
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#8]
This wont stop them from coming, but it will make you feel better.  Take everything they send you, except the parts with your name on it;  including the original envelope, and whatever other trash mail you have, put it all the prepaid return envelope, and mail it back to them.  They pay the postage and you have less to shred.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You can do a couple of things. You can use the return envelope to return all the crap you get sent. Or you can have your dog apply. My brother's lab has a couple of cards.

Yeah, just remove your name/info from any of the paperwork, stuff it into their prepaid return envelope, and mail the shit back to them. It costs them money to have it sent to them, and it costs them to have people open and sort it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I send it back to them in the reply envelope
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I called that opt out number a year ago and it stopped all of the unsolicited offers
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Equifax, Inc.
Options
PO Box 740123
Atlanta, GA 30374-0123

Experian
Consumer Opt-Out
701 Experian Parkway
Allen, TX 75013

TransUnion
Name Removal Option
P.O. Box 505
Woodlyn, PA 19094

tag.

Thanks NorCal....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Im so bad off no one sends me applications
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#15]
https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

This is an official site that will allow you to do it online. I have used it.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Thanks.  I just used it.  Since you used it, what results are you seeing?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If you want to be shocked, have you gotten your free credit reports yet?  I had like 90 "promotional inquiries" or some such.

Get your free credit reports at , totally legit too

ihttps://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Thanks for that.

I just put the wife and I in.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Thanks.  I just used it.  Since you used it, what results are you seeing?

I used it about 2 weeks ago so I can't comment. I usually get about 3 CC offers a day in the mail and yesterday I only got 1.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I get enough of that garbage that I ought to set up a paper-burning furnace.  Even worse is that I will occasionally get a check in the mail for $4000.  A real check.  And if I deposit that check, according to the fine print on the back, I am agreeing to a loan for $4000, at 25% interest!  Bastards.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I get the mail at my work and sort it for about 10 people.  I would estimate we get 3-5 applications a day.  Any presorted mail I toss, except these.  I open them and return the return envelope.  Does the USPS good and they make a little $ while the CC's have to pay for it.  Also when we get new yellowpages I use clear packing tape and tape the envelope to the yellowpages or other big books we toss out about once a month.   The mailman will take them, and he says they charge the CC companies postage for shipping a big yellow pages back to them,  probably 4-5 bucks.  If everone taped the envelopes to an old book and mailed them back, they'd probably quit sending stuff.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#22]
taggage
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#23]
What pisses me off are all the goddamn blank checks the CC companies send me! All someone would have to do is forge my signature and walk away with 4 or 5 thousand bucks.

I had to buy a goddamn paper shredder to shred them all. I mean I get 3 or 4 of these sheets of blank checks a week! Bastards!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What pisses me off are all the goddamn blank checks the CC companies send me! All someone would have to do is forge my signature and walk away with 4 or 5 thousand bucks.

I had to buy a goddamn paper shredder to shred them all. I mean I get 3 or 4 of these sheets of blank checks a week! Bastards!

That's a big "+1" from me.

You can call and have that stopped though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#26]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top