Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 12:02:56 PM EDT
So there I am buying a new SA XD Tactical 9mm and I see a brand new Remmy AOW 870 in the case at the dealer....it looks soooooo bada**!  I comment on it and the dealer tells me it's 500-something dollars brand spanking new.  I go home that night and start thinking...that would be a great toy and ONLY a 5 dollar tax stamp vs the 200.00 for a SBS.  I don't NEED it per say, but I have a lot of toys I don't really need but they sure are fun nonetheless.  Should I make the plunge????  Any drawbacks to having possession of one or using it in a home defense scenario?  Can the feds show up and do spot inspections of my home?  It seems like a good price for a NIB shotty.  What do you guys think I should do?  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
any thoughts...Bueller...Bueller?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Do it its only money!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do it its only money!

^^

This is the wrong place to ask if you should buy a gun. :P
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#4]
If I was going to get an AOW shotgun I'd get a Serbu Super Shorty.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Does it open the Pandoras Box for inspections...what about actually having to use it in real life for defense??
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#6]

I don't NEED it per say

It's the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Needs.  

+1

Debo
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Just called the dealer...confirmed the price is 519.00!  NIB
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do it its only money!

^^

+1

That's like asking us 'Should I tap a wet horny virgin pussy?'.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Does it open the Pandoras Box for inspections...what about actually having to use it in real life for defense??

No. ATF can require that you produce original paperwork only. You are in no way required to produce the weapon, nor are you required to consent to any search without a warrant.

As to using it for home defense? It's perfectly legal. As to the media backlash aspects, and the talking up that some scumbag's attorney is going to give during a civil trial, well...  That's another story.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just called the dealer...confirmed the price is 519.00!  NIB

On a more serious note, an AOW would be a lot easier to sell than an SBR (not that you would ever sell it).  SBR's do not have any intrinsic value beyond the value of the firearm since anyone can register one.  Unless it really bothers you to own a Federally registered firearm I can't see any reason not to buy it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#11]
While I am at it...what about interstate travel and going back and forth to the range?  Must you keep the original paperwork with you ?  Photocopies?  What about when moving residences?  Thanks for the info  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Probably need about five copies

Safe deposit box for original
Copy for the safe
Copy to keep with gun
Copy to keep with your own records
Extra copies just in case BATF "loses" theirs.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
While I am at it...what about interstate travel and going back and forth to the range?  Must you keep the original paperwork with you ?  Photocopies?  What about when moving residences?  Thanks for the info  

You don't need to keep the originals with you, but some places will hassle you if you try to show them a copy. My suggestion is generally to put the orginal in your fire safe or safe deposit box. Make a few copies, both full size, and reduced, and keep them with the weapon.  This is all you need to go back and forth to the range.

To travel interstate, you will need to be sure that they state you are travelling to, and all points along your journey, allow you to possess the weapon. As well, you will need to file the proper form with ATF prior, to get approval to travel with it. (It's a quick form that they will always approve, unless something is up with your destination.) As far as a permanent move, the same rules apply, and there is a form to submit for the change of address, as well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#14]
So for a change of residence IN STATE, you only have to submit a change of address form?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So for a change of residence IN STATE, you only have to submit a change of address form?

Yes. I don't remember what number the form is. But you submit it any time your physical address changes.

You'll find a lot more answers and general knowledge worth having if you take a peek in the M16 forum under the AR section.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do it its only money!

^^

+1

That's like asking us 'Should I tap a wet horny virgin pussy?'.

Like a screen door in Galveston...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top