BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2005 11:46:50 AM EDT
I just joined the NRA for 5 years.

A week ago they sent me an app.

They fought for RTKBA for the law abiding Katrina victims.

That was the push I needed to part with 100 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats, ust don't disgrace us members by bashing them like most idiots do.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Good job outta you!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the good fight!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#4]
do you have a wood-stocked hunting rifle?  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Me too!

Shit...I don't have anything with a wood stock...NO WAIT!  I bought SHEISLEGEND a 10/22!  It has a wood stock!

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Now ask them why they support S397 with the trigger locks and AP study.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#7]
IBTNRAH

In before the NRA haters

Good job!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#8]
As a life member I say, thanks for joining.

Now if you do not want to get a ton of funding requests follow what is written below.

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
A: Simply email us at [email protected] or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

Also before the NRA bashers chime in with their stupid posts about how the NRA screwed them out of a hat  or some other nonsense.  Read the follow NRA FAQ www.nramemberservices.org/faq.asp and it pretty much answer any question you have at the moment...including how to get your hat.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
IBTNRAH

In before the NRA haters

Good job!

You're too late it seems, see above your post.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a wood stocked rifle and shotgun.
I am getting the free hat too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IBTNRAH

In before the NRA haters

Good job!

You're too late it seems, see above your post.

So you haven't asked them why they support those amendments to the bill?  

Maybe you've been drinking too much of that refreshing drink picutred in your avatar.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Andy please don't flame on my post.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
As a life member I say, thanks for joining.

Now if you do not want to get a ton of funding requests follow what is written below.

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
A: Simply email us at [email protected] or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

Also before the NRA bashers chime in with their stupid posts about how the NRA screwed them out of a hat  or some other nonsense.  Read the follow NRA FAQ www.nramemberservices.org/faq.asp and it pretty much answer any question you have at the moment...including how to get your hat.

Thanks for the info, SWIRE.  I just joined up Tuesday (three year deal) and awaiting my membership stuff in the mail.

Next payday:  a team membership to ARFCOM! (I hope)

Trey
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Welcome!  Life member here.

I don't know how much political experience you have, but a lot of people don't like the constant fund raising by the NRA, but it is a fact of life. Lobbying govt(city, county, state, & federal) is enormously expensive. The NRA is rich only because there are many memebers, but in reality only a very minority contribute to NRA/ILA(Institute for Legislative Action,the lobbying part of the NRA) or NRA/PVF(Political Victory Fund, the political contribution arm of the NRA).  The NRA is  limited by federal and state laws on what purposes the NRA can use "dues" money for.  The enormous expense of politics is why politicians are constantly fund raising, and the NRA is no different.

Remember the anti-gunners are very well funded, count the news media which give the anti-gunners a forum to bash the gunners, organizations such as billionaire George Soro of Move-On.org, many many popular actors & actress bash the NRA whenever possible, remember Rosie Odonell(a.k.a. O'donut).  Most popular actors & actresses only speak out in favor of the NRA only after they retired and no longer want/need to work in the movie industry for fear of being ostracized.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks TheLibertarianMind!  You did the right thing.

-green
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I am pro liberty, and I feel the NRA has the muscle to fight for RTKABA.
Even though the group is not perfect, it's way better then nuthin.
...and I get the hat.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Life member here, the AWB in 1994 pushed me over the edge.  If you ever get a chance, visit an NRA convention, I did the Charlotte one in 2000, helluva good time!

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Good to hear

Next stop Life membership!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I signed up last week!  I also signed up my 6 year old son!  

I figure if I don't throw in my bit I have no right to bitch.  

and I like to bitch.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Good.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#22]
My 2yr old and 4yr old became members this month!

Molon diapers!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I just joined for the first time too, 9-17-05.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#24]
The NRA needs a JR life, they might have it and I've just haven't seen it, then I would sign up the two little ones.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The NRA needs a JR life, they might have it and I've just haven't seen it, then I would sign up the two little ones.

They DO have a Junior Life Membership.

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

It's on the right hand column.  "Junior Life Membership  $550.00  (with InSights magazine)"
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I am a NRA member for 4 years now and I bash them and will continue to till I see repeal efforts.  I do not hunt or shoot clay so until a few days ago I was and still am to a slightly lesser degree feeling I, hell we as "Evil Assault Weapon" owners recieve no help.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I am a NRA member for 4 years now and I bash them and will continue to till I see repeal efforts.  I do not hunt or shoot clay so until a few days ago I was and still am to a slightly lesser degree feeling I, hell we as "Evil Assault Weapon" owners recieve no help.  

People seem to have forgotten the ever so successful CCW campaigning...

And I guess since the NRA only cares about hunters and clay shooters, they took their business from Ohio to a more EBR friendly state so everyone could just get a long?

And I guess getting a federal court order to halt NOLA confiscations was for the hunters too.

No one looks at the 10 fold of positives to the few negatives.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#28]
I joined and made a donation to the SAF today.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Now ask them why they support S397 with the trigger locks and AP study.

This is from an email i got from the NRA

CLARIFICATION OF S. 397 AMENDMENTS

Recently, there has been a new wave of erroneous overstatements concerning two amendments to S. 397--The "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act."  While we have provided detailed information as to the nature of  these measures in past editions of the Grassroots Alert, factual information regarding their impact bears repeating.

The first measure, by Senator Herb Kohl (D-Wisc.), requires federally licensed dealers to provide a "secure gun storage or safety device" with the sale/transfer of every handgun (it does not apply to long guns).  The measure, which passed by a vote of 70-30, does not require gun owners to use the device, does not apply to private transfers, and does not create any new civil liability for gun owners who choose not to use these storage devices. Virtually all new handguns today are sold with some type of secure storage or safety device.  The amendment has no significant impact on current law.

The second measure--an amendment by Senator Larry Craig (R-Idaho)--passed by a margin of 87-11, and was offered this year (as it was in 2004) in a successful attempt to defeat Senator Edward Kennedy's "armor piercing" ammunition amendment that would have banned all centerfire rifle ammunition.  By providing an alternative to Senator Kennedy's amendment, pro-gun senators were able to marshal the votes to defeat the Kennedy amendment.

The amendment restates the existing prohibition on manufacture, or sale by manufacturers, of "armor piercing ammunition," except for government use, for export, or for use in testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.  This law has been in effect for nearly two decades.  It increases the mandatory minimum sentence for the use of "armor piercing ammunition" in a crime of violence or drug trafficking crime.  Use of armor piercing ammunition in a crime of violence or drug trafficking crime is already a federal offense punishable by five years in prison.  The amendment increases the penalty to 15 years, and authorizes the death penalty if the ammunition is used in a murder.  It also directs the Attorney General to conduct a study "to determine whether a uniform standard for the testing of projectiles against Body Armor is feasible."  In fact, we know such a standard is "feasible" because the National Institute of Justice (NIJ) has been testing projectiles against body armor since the early 1970s, and has regularly written and updated the standards for testing projectiles against body armor.  NIJ's research has saved lives by improving the design and manufacture of body armor.

The amendment does not give the Attorney General (or anyone else) any new authority to ban ammunition, nor does it change the definition of "armor piercing ammunition."  Under current law, ammunition is only "armor piercing" if it has a bullet that "may be used in a handgun" and that is made entirely from certain hard metals such as tungsten, steel, bronze or depleted uranium; or if the bullet is "designed and intended for use in a handgun" and has a jacket that weighs more than 25% of the weight of the projectile.  The current definition has been in place for more than 12 years.

And finally, the amendment does not create any kind of new ammunition ban.  The only ammunition that is banned as "armor piercing" is ammunition that fits the current definition, and neither the amendment nor the study would change the definition.

S. 397, as passed by the Senate, represents our best opportunity to finally enact into law a prohibition on these reckless lawsuits.  It is critical that you once again contact your U.S. Representative's Capitol Hill office in Washington, D.C., and urge him/her to pass S. 397 as passed by the Senate!

You can find contact information for your elected officials by using the "Write Your Representatives" tool at www.NRAILA.org.  Or you can call your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121.

We can and will achieve our mutual goal of finally enacting this common sense law, but only with your continued assistance.  Please help us finish the job once and for all by contacting your U.S. Representative in Washington and urging him/her to support the  "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act" as passed by the Senate.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Good job.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Lifer here Yes you did good LibertarianMind.  If only more people would get involved and take that very first step as yourself, we as gun owners would have ever more clout at all levels of law and government when it came to our RTBA.  

Welcome aboard fellow NRA member!  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Prepare yourself for the endless piles of junk mail!

It awaits you in the future.

-DagNasty  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am a NRA member for 4 years now and I bash them and will continue to till I see repeal efforts.
 I do not hunt or shoot clay so until a few days ago I was and still am to a slightly lesser degree feeling I, hell we as "Evil Assault Weapon" owners recieve no help.  

You can't do that because you'll be conisdered a troll.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=393048

-DagNasty  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm...something about your posts reminds me of junk mail...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-DagNasty  

I'm a Life Member and have been donating to them for years.  You know how much junk mail I've received from them?  None!  You know why?  I asked them not to send me any.  I also asked them not to call me for donations.  If people would stop bitching and simply ask them not to send you mail solicitation or call you, they wont.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am a NRA member for 4 years now and I bash them and will continue to till I see repeal efforts.
 I do not hunt or shoot clay so until a few days ago I was and still am to a slightly lesser degree feeling I, hell we as "Evil Assault Weapon" owners recieve no help.  

You can't do that because you'll be conisdered a troll.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=393048

-DagNasty  

DagNasty
Post Number :: 61

Looks like a to me.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks and Welcome Aboard!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:46:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rikwriter, I rejoined FWIW so I'm back onboard but the junkmail was part of what I didn't like when I quit last time.  There can't seriously be any doubt about the amount of junk they send out being a problem, can there?

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Make sure you just do not forget about the NRA and if they do something you do not agree with, let them know.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:55:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rikwriter, I rejoined FWIW so I'm back onboard but the junkmail was part of what I didn't like when I quit last time.  There can't seriously be any doubt about the amount of junk they send out being a problem, can there?

I don't have a problem with it.  If it's junk mail, I trash it.  I don't sit around wringing my hands about it and posting rants on the internet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have a problem with it.  If it's junk mail, I trash it.  I don't sit around wringing my hands about it and posting rants on the internet.

Fair enough.  I guess this argument might be going on because there is a difference between saying you don't care about the junk versus saying they don't send junk.
They do send it; it's just that it doesn't bother you.
It does bother some people though.  I don't like it because I would like the money spent elsewhere and I honestly don't like getting unwanted crap in my mailbox.  I don't like telemarketing calls either.
I asked them over and over to stop but they didn't.  I hope they listen this time.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
It does bother some people though.  I don't like it because I would like the money spent elsewhere

I think you should consider the possibility that the NRA wouldn't spend money sending the junk mail unless it brought a lot of money in for the cause.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Excellent!
I think when mine expires in '06 I'll opt for the Lifetime.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:02:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for joining.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#47]

ETA, for those who let things like mailers and phone calls prevent them from defending their RKBA, I say those folks DESERVE to lose their guns. Some people are the definition of petty.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
... I don't like it because I would like the money spent elsewhere ...

The direct mailings are how the NRA MAKES most of its money... how exactly is that a "waste?"

In the four decades plus that they have been doing direct mailings, they have made a profit on every one with one single exception - and that was a mailing that was held up at the outgoing PO and never delivered due to the Anthrax scare.

Annoying?  Maybe.

Counterproductive/waste of money?  Absolutely not.

ETA:  TheLibertarianMind, my 2-year-old son & I (Life Members, both ) sincerely thank you!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It does bother some people though.  I don't like it because I would like the money spent elsewhere

I think you should consider the possibility that the NRA wouldn't spend money sending the junk mail unless it brought a lot of money in for the cause.

Well, I know but I told them I didn't want it and I said basically I had decided how much to give and would give it again the following year and that was that.

I think there should be a tag in the membership list for people who specifically want to opt out of the junk mail if they've made up there mind.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top