Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 10:59:21 AM EDT
Howdy y'all. There's a new member to the Nikon family of photographers. I've been looking at DSLRs for the past 4 months and finally went into Ritz Camera to check out a few. I looked at the Canon Digital Rebel and the Rebel XT and wasn't a big fan of the size of the camera. I tried a D50 after that and it just didn't feel right. Held the D70 and it just felt absolutely great.

Also came with a $100 rebate so in the end I got the kit with the body and f/3.5-4.5G DX lens plus a 1GIG highspeed CF card for $1,300 out the door. A bit expensive for a college student like me but I have enough in my checking (enough to drain it completely that is) to cover it.

Right now the battery is charging up and I can't wait to put this into action! I'll be back later with a few shots.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Woof! Rock on, roboman! Congratulations, and look forward to some cool photos. It's all about the glass.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm really considering the Digitial Rebel or Rebel XT right now.  I've used a Canon EOS since '92-'93 so the Digital versions seem like lightweights compared to the old film versions.

How much was the 1GB memory card?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#3]
LUCKYYYYY
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Good choice. I got a D70s and love it. There is a DVD that you can pick up that will take you through all of the ins and outs of the camera and believe me there are a lot. It is a lot easier to follow than the owner's manual. Have fun!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm really considering the Digitial Rebel or Rebel XT right now.  I've used a Canon EOS since '92-'93 so the Digital versions seem like lightweights compared to the old film versions.

How much was the 1GB memory card?

$130. Made by Lexar. Claims to do 6.0MB/sec. There was an $80 model that held 1 gig but its advertised speed was 1.8MB/sec.

I had been leaning toward a 20D myself, but the cost was way too much and I figured I could always go for it later if I have a knack for photography. There was nothing wrong with the Digital Rebel or the XT by any means. I just have meaty man mittens so I needed something with some size to it, and the D70 fit the bill.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good choice. I got a D70s and love it. There is a DVD that you can pick up that will take you through all of the ins and outs of the camera and believe me there are a lot. It is a lot easier to follow than the owner's manual. Have fun!

Also a guy name of Peter iNova puts out a disc available here for many digital cameras including the D70.

He's helped me wring a lot of good pictures out of my two digital cameras (a Coolpix 950 and a CP 5700) and unless you're a pro, I think his disc could help you too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had the DReb 300D for almost 2 years now. I love it but I am ready to upgrade.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmm...I wonder what my inaugural shot should be.....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

When come back bring {pictures of} pie.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Battery isn't done charging yet so I got some time to think.

Ritz Camera also added a bunch of cool stuff. Free admission to all of their photography classes, a three 1-year Subscriptions to 3 different photography magazines, and a bunch of other stuff!

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, the battery is charged and I've been playing with it for a while. This thing is freakin' awesome!

Here's a quick shot of took in an attempt to look faux-artsy abstract "this represents my inner child on Creatine".

No attempt to be a photographic genius in this shot.

Downsized a good 75% to preserve 56K's chastity.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Just upgraded the firmware to the most recent version without any problems. Very cool camera!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

[squatdog] why a FULL POWER shot... [/squatdog]

Welcome to the Nikon family (Nikon US customer support, should you ever need it, is excellent btw.

www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi is worth burning a few hours on how to get the most out of your new camera.

Wait till you start getting extra lenses for it...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top