Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 9:44:42 AM EDT
ARFCOM Hive Mind. I need to find a company to host my website. I need a shoping cart and, possibly, forum software via their servers. Also, it would be nice if their servers were very far away from Florida and the Gulf Coast for obvious reasons. Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#3]
oh yeah, also talk to member brass here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Also, would someone please explain SSL Certificates to me. Once I find a host company, do I also need to purchase a certificate so that informaion sent to me via customers is secure? I have no idea how this works.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone else? How about experiences with taking credit cards on-line/setting up a merchant account etc. ?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to use NTT/Verio....might want to see if they're still around.  They were VERY good and had great customer service.

HH
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Also, would someone please explain SSL Certificates to me. Once I find a host company, do I also need to purchase a certificate so that informaion sent to me via customers is secure? I have no idea how this works.

You'll need to buy a certificate if the payments are processed through your domain. That is, if you expect all https protocol transactions to occur through bfieldburt.com then you'll need a certificate. But if you contract with a 3rd party to do the secure transactions (such as Yahoo) then you won't need one. This might make your customers a little wary though, because instead of seeing bfieldburt.com in their address bar they'll see the 3rd party's domain, probably with some logo of yours in the content of the page.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#8]
fatcow.com
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]
theplanet.com or servermatrix.com !!!

w00t!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top