Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 9:27:04 AM EDT
Does anyone reall think New Orleans and Louisiana are worth anything?

So now that I have your attention, what really got me about the whole New Orleans thing is how people in power from down there kept saying "now maybe the country will look at us and see how important we are, how much we contribute to this nation."

I didnt know that this was an issue?  Is this some sore spot with people from Louisiana?  Do they think no one thinks they are important?

I am just curious,  I have never heard someone say something like that, like it has been an ongoing issue.  What prompted that?

Personally i could care less if someone thought Arizona was not important to the nation.  Its not an issue that sticks in my mind and comes out when I have a press conference.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#1]
What?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#2]
ETH should come barreling in anytime now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#3]
New Orleans is a great and Historic City.  It is beautiful and has many, many significant places.  It does have some major problems also.  Overall I say yes it is worth something.  I would choose it over Los Angeles, San Francisco, Detroit and many other cities.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Gasoline?

Oil?

Natural Gas?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#5]
No.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So now that I have your attention, what really got me about the whole New Orleans thing is how people in power from down there kept saying "now maybe the country will look at us and see how important we are, how much we contribute to this nation."

I didnt know that this was an issue?  Is this some sore spot with people from Louisiana?  Do they think no one thinks they are important?

I am just curious,  I have never heard someone say something like that, like it has been an ongoing issue.  What prompted that?

Personally i could care less if someone thought Arizona was not important to the nation.  Its not an issue that sticks in my mind and comes out when I have a press conference.

Consider the source. We has some major dumbasses in power here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No.

Keep repeating that over and over in your head when you're pissing and moaning about the price of gasoline.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#8]
lotta good folks in louisianna and nola, they ain't all nagin and the 9th district.

i think they need to rebuild carefully, though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Considering I have alot of family in Louisiana then yes it is worth something
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I suppose all the farmers in the midwest can just email their wheat overseas.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#11]
If I lived in a shit hole like AZ I guess I would need to feel superior to somebody or some place to.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If I lived in a shit hole like AZ TN I guess I would need to feel superior to somebody or some place to.

fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
is how people in power from down there kept saying "now maybe the country will look at us and see how important we are, how much we contribute to this nation."

"Look and see"?  I have no idea what the "country looking and seeing" adds up to.  A city stands up and becomes great on its own merits or it doesn't.  For a leader to say "we are important - the rest of the country doesn't see it" sounds like something I'd hear from a 5 year old.  

Buck-up and achieve greatness or live in squalor.  Its your choice.

CWO
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Do you want all these Welfare Mooches in our neck of the woods?  HELL NO!!!

Keep em in NAWLENS!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If I lived in a shit hole like AZ TN I guess I would need to feel superior to somebody or some place to.

fixed it for ya.

Well nobody can accuse you of being orginal.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes it is worth saving, just as every other state and city in this country is worth saving from disaster.  I value every square foot of this great country.  If you don't, you should re-evaluate your loyalty to your nation. IMHO
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If I lived in a shit hole like AZ I guess I would need to feel superior to somebody or some place to.

Fuck off
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep em in NAWLENS!

markm's wisdom strikes again, lol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#20]
They need to fix that damn levee problem down there and I as a New York taxpayer, DON'T want to pay for it.  They are establishing a dangerous trend with all this hurricane "relief"

Next fucking ice storm we have up here, I'll be whining and moaning about how George Bush hates me and if I do it for more than a few seconds, he'll be throwing money at me to shut up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
ETH should come barreling in anytime now.

I'll try my best to put down what he'd say..."NO is the greatest city in the world, and it will be rebuilt whether you like it or not!"...something like that...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
New Orleans is a great and Historic City.  It is beautiful and has many, many significant places.  It does have some major problems also.  Overall I say yes it is worth something.  I would choose it over Los Angeles, San Francisco, Detroit and many other cities.

Those three cities, and metro areas, are MUCH more important to this country than the Big Sleazy...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
They need to fix that damn levee problem down there and I as a New York taxpayer, DON'T want to pay for it.  They are establishing a dangerous trend with all this hurricane "relief"

Next fucking ice storm we have up here, I'll be whining and moaning about how George Bush hates me and if I do it for more than a few seconds, he'll be throwing money at me to shut up.

Uh… they already establishing that dangerous trend 4 years ago in NY…

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Despite what shining examples the news shows of "Wheres my debit card" or "is the gubment gonn feed this baby" their are alot of things worth saving here.  Notably the 80%+ who are not deadbeats on welfare since the 1930s.  Most here are >>>decent working<<< people.  

That said as those on the outside of the state I ask you give your full support and effort to any initiative that would give our state Government a much needed enema.  Furthermore write your Reps and Senators about federal oversight of Katrina funds.  Not that the Fed Gov is anymore efficient but at least it keeps the money going where it should and not to bribes and pet projects.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh… they already establishing that dangerous trend 4 years ago in NY…

!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep em in NAWLENS!

Louisiana being the exception of course I beleive most states have welfare-to-work programs.  So sadly most will come back.  This is the perfect time for the use of Eminent Domain.  Seize the high crime/welfare areas and turn them into parking lots.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#27]
To the democrats.  Huge Liberal/Dem/Welfare plantation
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Ya,all the members who are from this area think so.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Do we really have that many "members" from Arizona, or do you call for back-up when shitting on another state?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I think this "importance" issue is just a lever in the argument to fix NO.  What makes a rational person pause is the notion of restoring the poverty ridden areas of the city.  Ghettoizing poverty is a proven loser.  It's ironic but the "so-called" voices of the poor will demand rebuilding of the lowest areas, granting subsidies to property owners to do so and then voting for increased funding for levees to protect to Cat 5 (probably not possible with current designs and space available).  How will the circumstances of the poor change to a point where they can (and want to) return to a place they couldn't leave, even in the face of a deadly natural event?  How will they reconcile their return with their fears that it could happen all over again.  Even a black mayor and a Democratic female governor will have trouble convincing them that "it" is fixed.

New Orleans is a vital seaport, actually two seaports (New Orleans and Southern Louisiana) and has major roles to play in industry and commerce in general.  It doesn't however depend on the poor and jobless to sustain it as a vital city.  It may do well with 10-20% less population and less poverty.  Every cloud has a silver lining.

My wife's family got flooded out two years in a row and finally moved to high ground.  My family moved to CA during the Dust Bowl.  Some people deal with Nature rationally and responsibly, even if reluctantly.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Do we really have that many "members" from Arizona, or do you call for back-up when shitting on another state?

Did you even read my post?

I was really asking if people from Louisiana have some self esteem problem about the other states and the US in general thinking they are un-important.

Your Mayor and Governor sure seem to have this issue.  They would really like the rest of the country to think they are important.  I was just wondering if this is some issue down there with you guys.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#32]
The "important" parts would be rebuilt without any state or federal tax dollars if just left alone.  Instead we will al pay big to rebuild it, time and time again, slums included.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#33]
We won't rebuild the slums.

The new houses will be too valuable for the welfare class to afford to rent.

The welfare class will settle in existing slums outside LA and create some new ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top