Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 7:50:25 AM EDT
Or the other sign I saw at another gun shop / range: "All firearms must be cased before entering."

What's the deal here?  Do the very people who sell us our guns not trust us with them?  Naturally, I'm not going to go into the shop waving my weapon around.   Is there a practical reason?  Are they afraid of someone "getting the drop on them" in an attempt to rob the place?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I think its more of an idiot factor.  Someone trying to tell the gun shop guys what is wrong with their gun and finding out it is still loaded.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#2]
This sort of perplexes me also. I was at a gunshop with the same kind of sign up "Feel free to carry in the store but don't draw from your holster"

I ask to see a rifle, take care not to sweep anybody, and the owner says "don't worry about pointing it at me, I don't mind"

So I mean he doesn't seem concerned with getting a gun pointed at him but he's worried you'll get the drop on him? I can't seem to wrap my mind around that one myself.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Sadly, stupid people also go to gun shops, and stupid people do stupid things.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Or the other sign I saw at another gun shop / range: "All firearms must be cased before entering."

What's the deal here?  Do the very people who sell us our guns not trust us with them?  Naturally, I'm not going to go into the shop waving my weapon around.   Is there a practical reason?  Are they afraid of someone "getting the drop on them" in an attempt to rob the place?

If you were to see some of the yahoos at the local range you might not want them to have a drawn weapon either.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree...I think it's to prevent the idiot factor...I've seen it in action before.

I was at a fun store with a range and 2 guys started handling one of their guns...The store employee told them that they had to case/holster their own guns.  One of the guys resisted and tried to defend what he was doing.  The clerk asked for the gun and said that at the very least should take out the mag and clear it....When he did this he found a chambered round and 1 in the mag.

The 2 guys had just "finished" at the range.

The clerk just said "that's why we have that F-ing rule".  The 2 guys were dumbstruck.  

B/C of this I have no problem with these signs.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:03:37 AM EDT
[#6]
My local shop says:

All guns must be holstered and cased, if not we will assume it is a robbery and will take proper action.

CCW's welcomed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#7]
If you've ever been to a gunshow, you'ld know exactly why the shops have that rule.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:10:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I agree...I think it's to prevent the idiot factor...I've seen it in action before.

I was at a fun store with a range and 2 guys started handling one of their guns...The store employee told them that they had to case/holster their own guns.  One of the guys resisted and tried to defend what he was doing.  The clerk asked for the gun and said that at the very least should take out the mag and clear it....When he did this he found a chambered round and 1 in the mag.

The 2 guys had just "finished" at the range.

The clerk just said "that's why we have that F-ing rule".  The 2 guys were dumbstruck.  

B/C of this I have no problem with these signs.

Incidents like this are why a guy I know recently put up a similar sign on the door of his gun shop.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Your gun SHOULD be holstered.

Why do you want to be waving it around inside?  That's violating basic safety rules
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I have no problem with that... There are a lot of idiots in this world and stronger strains of idiot are being bred every day.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Same reason guns aren't allowed loaded into gunshows. All those guns and all those idiots means somebody is gonna have a new scar, if not worse.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Your gun SHOULD be holstered.

Why do you want to be waving it around inside?  That's violating basic safety rules

DUH!  Why is that so hard for some to understand?

A holster prevents NDs!  Not every Damned thing is an ANTI GUN conspiracy!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Everybody at one time or another has an "OH NO!" second. You just forget, don't think or just bad luck.

When I was managing a gun shop, we had the same rule about all guns holstered. I have had a few times where someone brought in something to be repaired. Handed it to me without checking. More than a few times I've ejected a live round.

Problem is that when you get into a conversation about guns, they want to draw thiers to show off. Chances are that:

I've got one in the display case.

I own or have owned one. Or, I'd never own one unless it was a drop gun.

I've seen a multiple dozen before and really don't want to see another, thanks.

It's nothing personal, we just don't want to catch a stray round from an ND. If we do, we'll probably  return fire. Last thing I want to do is have a shoot out at my gun shop. Remember, I have more guns than you do.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My local shop says:

All guns must be holstered and cased, if not we will assume it is a robbery and will take proper action.

CCW's welcomed.

+1 I never thought it was to prevent careless handling, it is to help with target identification ;p
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I ask to see a rifle, take care not to sweep anybody, and the owner says "don't worry about pointing it at me, I don't mind"

So I mean he doesn't seem concerned with getting a gun pointed at him but he's worried you'll get the drop on him? I can't seem to wrap my mind around that one myself.

Did he check the rifle before handing it to you? If he did, that might explain why he was not concerned with you sweeping him, though I think it would have been bad form to do so, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I think its more of an idiot factor.  Someone trying to tell the gun shop guys what is wrong with their gun and finding out it is still loaded.  

This is it.

You have no idea how many people will bring a loaded weapon into a gunshop and hand it to someone. Worse are the ones with no muzzle discipline who will point it at a handful of people before handing it over.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:30:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This sort of perplexes me also. I was at a gunshop with the same kind of sign up "Feel free to carry in the store but don't draw from your holster"

If you ask to see a rifle off his rack, HE knows that THAT rifle is unloaded. He doesn't know that about a firearm you being into the store.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#18]
It's for two reasons.
1) Idiots.
And I'm glad for this rule.  No, I don't trust many of the folks who turn up at my firing range for a session of shooting.  I don't want to see them walking around out in the retail part of the store with uncased weapons, thanks.
2) Security.
There's a good reason why all the sales people behind the counter are wearing holstered, loaded weapons.  Why allow people who you don't know to walk into the store basically with guns drawn?  That makes no sense.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#19]
at one time a police officer came into the gun shop where i was shopping.  the clerks in the shop told the officer that they would not help him unless he put his gun in the squad car ...im likw wtffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is it.

You have no idea how many people will bring a loaded weapon into a gunshop and hand it to someone. Worse are the ones with no muzzle discipline who will point it at a handful of people before handing it over.

I did that once.  

I brought a Walther (in a gun rug) into the shop and handed it to the guy behind the counter.  He racks the slide and *pop* out comes a .380 silvertip.  

Man, did I feel like an idiot....and I was.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Why is it that people think that rules somehow infringe on their "rights"?  I know you think are you super macho expert gun handler man, but I have no problem with guns needing to be holstered or cased when you have a large amount of people coming and going from a live fire area.  It's the same as the "nobody touches any gun no matter what" rule during ceasefire at an outdoor range.  It's there for safety, yet we still have knuckleheads on here whining that they can't fondle their guns while people are downrange.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is it.

I did that once.  

I brought a Walther (in a gun rug) into the shop and handed it to the guy behind the counter.  He racks the slide and *pop* out comes a .380 silvertip.  

Man, did I feel like an idiot....and I was.

I had an Idiot come in and ask if we had any "clips" for his POS .25 pistol. He waved it around with his finger on the trigger (pointed at my chest most of the time) until I could convince him that I needed to see it to find the right mag.  Yep. One in the chamber. Even though he had the safety on, I still dodnt wat to talk to him after that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#23]
"none of you are professional enough to handle..........."
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Sadly, stupid people also go to gun shops, and stupid people do stupid things.

+1

CWO
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My local shop says:

CCW's welcomed.

Thats nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top