Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2005 6:15:03 AM EDT
Militant Jewish bomb plotter jailed for 20 years in US

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - A top leader of a US militant Jewish group was jailed for 20 years for his role in a 2001 plot to bomb a Los Angeles mosque and the office of a Lebanese-American congressman.

US District Judge Ronald Lew imposed the maximum prison term allowed after Jewish Defense League (JDL) member Earl Krugel, 62, pleaded guilty in 2003 under a deal with prosecutors.

"There is a serious need to impose such a sentence given the nature of the offense," Lew said in ordering Krugel to serve two consecutive 10-year terms.

The judge noted that the crimes were "promoting hatred in the most vile way. This is just not acceptable in the United States," Lew said.

Krugel was arrested along with JDL founder Irv Rubin and later admitted planning the bombing campaign to send a "wake-up call" to Arabs and to show that the JDL was "alive in a militant way."

Rubin died in November 2002 after authorities said he slashed his own throat and then threw himself off a prison walkway while awaiting trial.

The alleged plot was thwarted when a teenage JDL member turned     FBI informant alerted investigators and the two men were arrested at their homes and weapons and bomb-making equipment was seized from them.

Krugel admitted conspiracy to violate the civil rights of worshippers at Los Angeles' King Fahd Mosque and also pleaded guilty to a weapons charges linked tied to explosives meant to blow up the office of California Congressman Darrell Issa.

Krugel on Thursday addressed the court and apologised "for all the sadness, pain and sorrow I've caused."

He noted that in his eagerness to make a political statement, he had "embarked on a course that was wrong-headed, dangerous and illegal," and he asked the court to show compassion in allowing him to return to his family before he dies.

Assistant US Attorney Gregory Jessner countered that he believed the idea that Krugel was a "changed man" is "absolutely fraudulent."

The judge noted that Krugel had failed polygraph tests and questioned whether Krugel was "totally a changed person as of yet."

Salam Al-Marayati, executive director of the Los Angeles-based Muslim Public Affairs Council, urged the judge to punish former dental assistant Krugel with the maximum sentence for his crimes. "Mr. Krugel should be treated like any terrorist, even though there is no mention of this term in the charges against him," he told the judge.

"To this day, we are living under the shadow of terror as a result of Mr. Krugel's actions," Al-Marayati.

But Krugel's attorney, Jay Lichtman, said the plot to bomb the mosque and the office of Issa, of Lebanese-Christian descent, was "far from complete" and was intended as a "political protest to damage a building," not to hurt anyone.

"It was questionable whether either site would ever be bombed," he told the judge. "He carries much regret. He regrets that he joined a criminal conspiracy."

After Rubin's death, Krugel, who had initially pleaded innocent and argued that the charges stemmed from entrapment by the FBI, changed his plea to guilty.

He admitted in his plea agreement that he met with the young recruit who would later denounce Krugel and Rubin and showed him a list of mosques that were potential targets.

He claimed that Rubin, who was present at the meetings, told the recruit to carry out the bombings.

But in pleading guilty, Krugel acknowledged showing the informant pipes with holes drilled in them so they could be used as bombs. He also admitted he and Rubin targeted Issa because he is Arab-American.

Krugel also acknowledged calling mosques "filthy" and saying Arabs needed a "wake-up call".

The JDL was founded in 1968 by extreme conservative Rabbi Meir Kahane, who, before his assassination in New York in 1990, advocated the forcible removal of Arabs from     Israel.

The group was blamed for making threats and carrying out acts of violence in the 1970s.

What a jackasss.  I guess he thought that increasing tensions between Muslims and Americans would help his cause.

-green
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

What a jackasss.  I guess he thought that increasing tensions between Muslims and Americans would help his cause.
-green

Of course he did.  Just like when they attacked the USS Liberty (killing American sailors) and tried to make it look like Arabs did it.
USS Liberty
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:29:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-green

Of course he did.  Just like when they attacked the USS Liberty (killing American sailors) and tried to make it look like Arabs did it.
USS Liberty

We do not discuss the Liberty accident on this sight.

That's news to me.  That we don't discuss it and that it was an "accident".

I support JPFO so anyone that tries calling me an anti-Semite over this can forget it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#5]
The JDL are a bunch of fuckwads. I'm surprised they are still around.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:33:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:33:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Obviously, the judge is an anti-semite
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-green

USS Liberty

We do not discuss the Liberty accident on this sight.

I support JPFO so anyone that tries calling me an anti-Semite over this can forget it.

You didn't know, now you do.  There have been no less than 100 threads on this subject since 2000.  All have ended badly.  Very badly.  The agreement among the people here who have studied this subject in depth is that it shall be discussed no further.

Oh, well obviously I'm not a party to that informal agreement.

THe NSA seems to have made up their mind...there's really nothing to dispute anyway.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:40:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I almost got into a fist fight with the JDL's former leader, Irv Rubin.  That jackass was picketing the outside of a church meeting that I was attending about ten years ago.  At the time, I had never heard of the guy, or his organization.

I was about the only one at the meeting "of military age", so I dutifully got up from my seat and walked straight up to him.  He backed away immediately.  Now, he was a rather large fellow, and could have held his own, but I guess that he wasn't ready to get arrested quite yet.  He came back the next day, and was arrested by the local cops.

I was wearing a name tag at the time, which also listed the town that I was from (the church meeting was held out of town).  The next week, I'm driving down the street and hear the local news radio (AM 980 in Los Angeles) saying that police are looking for <insert GySgtD's real name here> for questioning involving the Nicole Simpson/Goldman murders.  When I get to the house, CNN had a message on my answering machine; they wanted to interview me.

A few days later, my car is vandalized in my assigned parking spot at my apartment complex.  No other vehicles were touched.

Coincidence?  Or perhaps, just another man's experience with the JDL and their fellow travelers.

I joke a lot on these forums, but this post is true and not embellished.  If someone were to have told me this story, I would have blown them off as being cuckoo.  Yet, it happened to me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hello, new guy!

A few years ago, that was about ALL we ever discussed on ARFCOM.

How do you think I got 30,000+ posts?

And, if you have any real knowledge concerning this tragic incident, it would NOT be 'news' to you that it might be called an 'accident' by some.

Including me.

Jeepers!

Isn't that sort of akin to saying, 'I have black friends, so I simply cannot be a racist'?

In other words, it is totally possible to support the JPFO and to be an anti-Semite at the same time.

But you are wrong from the very beginning. No one supports the Israeli version of this tragedy more than I do, but I have never, ever accused anyone on the other side as being an anti-Semite!

And even my most earnest opponents in those other, numerous USS Liberty threads would likely admit that I have never used that word to describe them.

Now, don't get me wrong,  there may be many anti-Semites who do think that the USS Liberty was purposefully attacked by Israel.

But those are the same folks who think that the 'Jews' knew of September 11th beforehand, anyway!

Sorta like Louis Farakhan....you know.

But, no, you were not a party to any 'gentlemen's agreement' to NOT talk of the USS Liberty again.

So, have at it!

I will return later, from the gun show, to correct your work.

Eric The(FairAndBalanced)Hun

Well it's not really my work to correct.  It's the word of the NSA and other intelligence assets in the US Government.  And you are not an authority to issue such corrections.  Unless you have more than an internet say-so I'm going with what those intelligence assets had to say.

I can see why this got dropped; there's really no debate.  A say-so isn't going to do it.  A link to objective evidence or the testimony of knowledgeable experts who were involved would do it otherwise it's just your opinion and as interesting as it might be I don't find it compelling.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Israel knew it was an American ship. The attack was inexcusable. I'm surprised some have the gall to say it was a mistake. It was no mistake.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Will ARFcommers call for Jews to speak out against terrorism?
When they do, will ARFcommers claim that the Torah instructs it's followers to "lie, cheat, and steal" from gentiles?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it's not really my work to correct.

Frankly, I cannot recall any 'gentlemen's agreement' NOT to discuss it, I merely thought the subject exhausted and no one likely to change their opinions, one way or the other.
Eric The(BeenHere,DoneAllThisBefore)Hun

This sounds correct based on what has been presented so far.

You come off like your info is 'all that' but I don't agree.  Did you make up your mind then research it or research it then make up your mind?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Funny that he gets more time than the Muslim LA bomber guy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Israel knew it was an American ship. The attack was inexcusable. I'm surprised some have the gall to say it was a mistake. It was no mistake.

Hmmm.

From the BBC back in 1991:

"It has emerged that "friendly fire" killed more British troops than the Iraqis did - of 16 British soldiers who died, nine were killed by Americans.

Of 148 Americans who died, 35 were killed by friendly fire."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/28/newsid_2515000/2515289.stm

So Americans killed more Brits than the Iraqis did?

It could not possibly have been a mistake!

Mistakes in war seldom occur, right?

The gall of some British mothers in thinking that the murder of their sons by Americans was intentional!

Eric The(FogOfWar,Again)Hun

Sometimes The Hun is my favorite poster here. Nice to ya back in full form.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm.

From the BBC back in 1991:

"It has emerged that "friendly fire" killed more British troops than the Iraqis did - of 16 British soldiers who died, nine were killed by Americans.

Of 148 Americans who died, 35 were killed by friendly fire."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/28/newsid_2515000/2515289.stm

So Americans killed more Brits than the Iraqis did?

It could not possibly have been a mistake!

Mistakes in war seldom occur, right?

The gall of some British mothers in thinking that the murder of their sons by Americans was intentional!

Eric The(FogOfWar,Again)Hun

Your comparison would have actual meaning if the US identified British troops as British and attacked anyway.

That is exactly what Israel did to the US.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Funny that he gets more time than the Muslim LA bomber guy.

Its ok to trash Jews.  If it was a muslim, someone might accuse the press of racism or get their feelings hurt.

Un-fucking-believable.
That makes no sense.
Why didn't he get more time?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quoted:

You come off like your info is 'all that' but I don't agree.

I should come off as someone who, after examining the evidence presented by both sides, my logical conclusion is that...since Israel had absolutely NOTHING to gain from a premeditated attack on a US warship  on the high seas, and had EVERYTHING to lose (like a crippling military victory over their eternal Arab enemies), the attack was a mistake.

A stupid, careless, tragid mistake....and nothing more.

The lack of evidence of any Israeli motive for the attack is something that James Bamford has struggled with for many years, as well.

The motive which he gave for the attack in his 1981 book on the NSA, The Puzzle Palace, is NOT the same as the motive that he supplied for the attack in his more recent book on the NSA, Body of Secrets.

He is the man you should think has already made up his mind and is grasping to find evidence to support his theories!  

Did you make up your mind then research it or research it then make up your mind?

No, that would be James Bamford.

As I mentioned many times in those 'other' threads on the USS Liberty, I was a mere lad of 15, living in rural West Texas, when the Six Day War took place.

As you can well imagine, as a 15 year old boy with a lot of time on his hands, I followed that short war with keen interest!

We heard of the attack on the USS Liberty, right in the midst of celebrating the historic and complete victory of Israel over its eternal enemies, the Arabs!

It was explained as a mistake on all the news outlets (owned by Jews! I might add!), and we all accepted that this is what it was.

Why, in God's Holy Name, would Israel attack US, we thought.

Several years later, after reading more accounts of the attack, I became quite convinced that it was indeed an intentional attack, but still the reasoning for the attack was always fuzzy and contradictory.

I thought that the USS Liberty incident, and the deaths of 37 sailors, was the 'price' that the US paid for having Israel as a staunch ally in the Cold War.

I stayed with that view for quite some time.

And then....it changed again, after I read more on the subject....from conservative sources.

Which was strange, for it was 'conservative' sources that had preiously made me think the attack was intentional.

Simply put, there is NO CONCEIVABLE MOTIVE THAT ISREAL HAD ON JUNE 8, 1967, TO PURPOSEFULLY ATTACK THE USS LIBERTY!

And there were extraordinary motives for them NOT to do so.

Eric The(FairAndBalanced)Hun

I disagree.
I'm surprised you don't see how they could stand to gain.  They make it look like an Arab attack, get the US fired up and we go kick ass for them.  It's not a complicated motive.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Oy, not this shit again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not needed.  They were already kicking the arab's asses.

If they could get the US to do it for them they would.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm.
Yeah.
1967 was nip and tuck all the way, wasn't it?
Dude.  Passover comes, do you lock your children up so they don't get murdered to make matzos?

No, but I support JPFO.

I figured  it would come to the anti-Semite stuff.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#35]
A little off course here, but did everyone catch this part here...

"Rubin died in November 2002 after authorities said he slashed his own throat and then threw himself off a prison walkway while awaiting trial."

That's kinda like that guy in the movie Fargo that shot himself in the head and then threw himself in a woodchipper...lol.

editted b/c I can't spell.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
A little off course here, but did everyone catch this part here...

"Rubin died in November 2002 after authorities said he slashed his own throat and then threw himself off a prison walkway while awaiting trial."

That's kinda like that guy in the movie Fargo that shot himself in the head and them threw himself in a woodchipper...lol.

editted b/c I can't spell.

Umm, yeah...that sounds a little suspicious.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Eric The(GrabbingHisHatAndPipe)Hun

No references?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the single dumbest statement I have ever read in relation to the nation of Israel.  Never, since 1948 has Israel even remotely suggested that we put US warplanes over their skies or boots on the ground in defense of their nation.  

Actually, US Army troops were on the ground and defended Israel during GWI.  Several batteries of Patriots IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:01:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, no, no, no!

Damit!

Read your history!

By the evening of June 7th, the day before the attack, the Arab Armies had been routed on all fronts!

Indeed, the headline of the New York Times on the day of the attack was 'Israel Routs Arabs'!

I have it on my photo gallery, but I can't get to it at present!

There was NO WAY on God's green earth that the Israelis could think that this attack would be blamed on the Arabs!

Indeed, they immediately took blame for the attack!

Why not just sink the ship? They could surely have done it...and dead men tell no tales!

They could have made up whatever story afterwards they wished!

But Israelis are far too much like Americans. Indeed, a good quarter of them are Americans!

They made a tragic mistake and quickly admitted it.

Eric The(LongGone)Hun

Well a route is one thing.  Getting the US to 'finish the job' would have been quite another.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the single dumbest statement I have ever read in relation to the nation of Israel.  Never, since 1948 has Israel even remotely suggested that we put US warplanes over their skies or boots on the ground in defense of their nation.  

I'm pretty sure there are "US warplanes" routinely over Israel.  Bought from us with money we give them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Eric The(GrabbingHisHatAndPipe)Hun

No references?

You mean, 'Do you have someone as reputable as James Bamford to support your claims'??

Yes.

Commander McGonagle is my star reference!

My details of the attack come directly from his testimony given 3 days following the attack.

Thanks for asking!

Ask your reference why he changed his mind 180 degress concerning 'Why' the attack occurred!

(Secret US-Israeli documents released on the 30 year anniversary of the attack, blew his original thesis out of the water!)

Eric The(Gone!)Hun

Well really Eric, the only reference you have furnished so far is you.  Just like I suspected in the beginning you are posting your say-so.  No reference, no link to some body or information or records.

I'm not trying to belittle or whatever; opinion and belief are what they are.  It’s just that I don't find that in itself compelling.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well a route is one thing.  Getting the US to 'finish the job' would have been quite another.

And risk war with the United States?

And the subsequent loss of their overwhelming victory over the Arabs?

The Arabs were routed. They were kaput!

There wasn't an organized Egyptian Army between the Israeli Army and Cairo!

No organized Jordanian Army between the Israeli Army and Amman!

Nope.

'Wouldn't be prudent'. ~ President George H. W. Bush, '41.

Eric The(Gone,ISwearIt!)Hun

History is full of actions that were not prudent.  That it might not have been prudent is not in itself  evidence that it was not their intention.

ETA:
Eric, I know you have to go and I don’t mean to keep you from your responsibilities.  I can see why this was shelved.  You have offered me nothing to even consider changing my position and having seen your zeal I don’t expect anything to change your position.

Feel free to take off and we can call it good (or whatever).
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:...
Eric The(OuttaHere)Hun

A new one?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top