Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 12:57:48 AM EDT
Hey Doc, I have a medium size friDge that goes in a bar.  It stopped working some time ago.  We took it out and tried to figure out what is wrong.  Compressor runs, fan kinda runs sometimes, and it won't make cold at all.  We tried charging it with R134a, but that didn't help.  I have no idea what make or model it is.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:50:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?  I guess I'll have to drink warm beer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:55:35 AM EDT
[#2]
The Frige is sleeping

IM him a link to this thread
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:05:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
won't make cold

Caveman fire pit no make hot
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:08:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, I thought it was the "friDge" thing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#5]
GOOD MORNING!!

OK I need to know make and model if you can provide it. When you turn the thermostat/cold control off does the fan turn off? Also if you charged it with R134a THAT is NOT a good sign. If it is a low charge and it needed refrigerant... Expensive to fix (of course depending on the make and model) .. if it had enough refrigerant and you overcharged it... you fucked it... sorry. At that point (if it were my unit) I would recover the charge, replace the filter/drier, evacuate and recharge the system to specific charge measurements.

Question is, how much is the refrigerator worth and what is it worth to you?

If it is a Sub Zero, Marvel, DCS, ... FIX IT (They are worth over 1500.00)
If it is a Danby, Sanyo, Avanti... dump it (They are worth under 200.00)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Ahhh...The Good Doctor is IN and He will see you know!  

All hail the Doctor!  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Ahah!  I found the label plate!  

Subzero Freezer Co
Model:  249RP
4.75 oz R-12

The thermostat seems to work as it turns on and off with the dial.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Dang, I thought this was a spider thread.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't be surprised if I found a spider living under the fridge.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump for the Doc.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#11]
tag.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hey Doc, I have a medium size friDge that goes in a bar.  It stopped working some time ago.  We took it out and tried to figure out what is wrong.  Compressor runs, fan kinda runs sometimes, and it won't make cold at all.  We tried charging it with R134a, but that didn't help.  I have no idea what make or model it is.  Any ideas?

Quoted:

Ahah! I found the label plate!

Subzero Freezer Co
Model: 249RP
4.75 oz R-12

The thermostat seems to work as it turns on and off with the dial.

You charged an R-12 System with R-134a??

Congratulations... You now have a boat anchor. Whatever the problem was is NOW overshadowed by a contaminated sealed system.

Sorry.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I you put R134a in an R-12 system you get gell!!!!

And just how much would it cost to replace the Bar fridge?

Guess you will find out!!!

Don't blame Bush  ,derige     did    it       !@!@!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I you put R134a in an R-12 system you get gell!!!!

And just how much would it cost to replace the Bar fridge?

Guess you will find out!!!

Don't blame Bush  ,??????     did    it       !@!@!!

Bob

Problem is... To replace that Sub Zero, it can run over $1,000.00

Hey, I NEVER told him to add refrigerant to it.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Look at the bright side, you now have a great plinking target
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Ouch.

It's one thing to fuck up, and an entirely different thing to post about it on the internet and be informed you fucked up

No offense, man.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:37:24 AM EDT
[#19]
So, it will have to be replaced?  Can it be fixed at all or is it a lost cause?  The seals are replaceable right?  Shit, my dad is gonna be pissed.  (It's his fridge)  At least I didn't charge it, he did, on some bad advice from a friend of his.

I figure, replace seals, purge with nitrogen, recharge?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Sealed System is any component that carries refrigerant. Compressor, Evaporator, Condenser, Heat Exchanger, Drier and all connecting tubing. You would have to replace the compressor and the evaporator/ heat exchanger assy and drier. Flush the remaining system and then put it on a good evacuation for AT LEAST an hour then recharge with 4.5 oz of R-12 or R414a. (The only other recognized drop in refrigerant by Sub zero)

Dude... I REALLY feel for ya. The 249 is a GREAT unit. Built tough. You can hit them with a Buick and they STILL work. If you have a guy that is a good refrigeration tech and has the equipment to do the work (i.e recovery equip, torches, guages, vacuum pump, charging cylinder) I would see if you can buy the parts direct from Sub Zero and have him do it for ya.

Here are your part #'s... Depending on your serial # they may change over

4-21-002-0 Evaporator Heat Exchanger Assembly
3-11-074-0 Compressor ( comes WITH a 3-01-423-0 Filter/Drier)

If you have your serial # I can change the part #'s over for you as well
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Never put radom refrigerant in something. Isn't R134 usally for car ACs?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Never put radom refrigerant in something. Isn't R134 usally for car ACs?

For both actually. The new refrigerators (well, for the last 10 years at least) they mostly are using R134a.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Related this to my dad, he wants to simply evacuate it and scrounge up some R-12 and recharge it.  He doesn't really think anything is damaged.  Oh well.

You happen to know what a new one of these refrigerators costs?  I expect that the reefer will eventually be replaced when this inevitably fails.  Or he will just replace it with a cabinet or set of drawers.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Related this to my dad, he wants to simply evacuate it and scrounge up some R-12 and recharge it.  He doesn't really think anything is damaged.  Oh well.

You happen to know what a new one of these refrigerators costs?  I expect that the reefer will eventually be replaced when this inevitably fails.  Or he will just replace it with a cabinet or set of drawers.

If and that is a big "IF" you are lucky. You have a bad cold control (Which may be the original problem and so the compressor never started) then you may have a small light at the end of the tunnel. PROPERLY recover that refrigerant, evacuate and recharge but you really should change that drier.

Mind you I have been a Factory Authorized Sub Zero servicer for 18 years. If you do what I just told you to do, and it works, I will shit a solid gold brick.

Sure wish you guys would have IMed me before he added the R134 in there...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top