Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 9:54:49 PM EDT
I was looking at one at my local funstore and they seem kinda nice, slightly long trigger pull and made in the Philippines.
or spend a extra $100 and get a SA GI model and be done with it
comments?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#1]
There's another brand made in the same factory... SAM I think it is... $300 for a 1911, I was thinking about picking one up
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I say spend the extra hundred on the SA.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one and for the money, it was a great beater 1911. I say do it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one that I got new for $349 and it was worth every penny.  No problems with it and it's decently accurate.  Can't go wrong with these for the price.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard they were stout guns, but then I heard somewhere that their metal is cheaply made.

Springfield guns are made from barstock, iirc, and as a customer, I can attest to their quality
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, I'm an idiot. I misread the title as Rock River Arms 1911, not Rock Island Armory (I guess they are kinda similiar, "Rock" "Aquatic-related geographical feature" "Form of the word Arm"), and I was wonderin' where all you people were finding RRA 1911s for less than $400...

Ok time for bed

EDIT: BTW, I love my SA GI model to death. It may not be a 100% accurate replica of a WWII era .45, but it's close enough and works great.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was looking at one at my local funstore and they seem kinda nice, slightly long trigger pull and made in the Philippines.
comments?

Just get a Glock.
ETA: Just Joking. I have heard decent things about the RIA 1911's but can't speak for them from first hand experience. I do like my SA GI model.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
comments?

Just get a Glock

I already have three of them. 35, 20 and 21.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have some extra bucks to spend, look into a Springfield Loaded.  They have pretty much anything you could want in a 1911 (except frontstrap checkering, if you like that), including ambi safety, novak tritium sights, beavertail safety, front and rear cocking serrations, skeleton hammer, etc etc for about $600.  That's probably cheaper than it would take to build up an RIA 1911 to have all those accessories, but if you're only looking for a bone stock 1911, the RIA's a good choice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
comments?

Just get a Glock

I already have three of them. 35, 20 and 21.

Check out the edit on my first post.

My SA GI model:

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you have some extra bucks to spend, look into a Springfield Loaded.  They have pretty much anything you could want in a 1911 (except frontstrap checkering, if you like that), including ambi safety, novak tritium sights, beavertail safety, front and rear cocking serrations, skeleton hammer, etc etc for about $600.  That's probably cheaper than it would take to build up an RIA 1911 to have all those accessories, but if you're only looking for a bone stock 1911, the RIA's a good choice.

I already have a SA loaded in SS.
I'm just looking for a beater and I like the looks of a no frills 1911
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had both, and the SA GI is a thousand times the gun that the RIA is.

For one thing, the SA is ACTUALLY milspec, whereas the RIA is sorta, kinda milspec. Meaning replacement parts MIGHT fit it...You never know.

Plus the sear on my RIA broke after 50 rds.

Get the GI...Love the GI.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got one I paid $300 OTD, wouldn't pay more than that for one though, its a nice beater, got over 2k without any malfuntions, but its picky about what mags it will drop free, the novaks will drop right out but the CMCs and Wilsons won't, and you'll probably want to replace the hammer and grip safety, I get a bad assed case of hammer bite with mine.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Cast junk.  Get the Springfield,   or better yet,  get the Kimber.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#15]
If it's just a beater you want then you can't beat the RIA for value. I bought one because cash was tight and I have no regrets what-so-ever. I've had no problems with it at all. I really can't justify the extra money for a gun that costs hundreds more fro a product that isn't going to do any better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top