Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2005 7:40:33 PM EDT
Tonight, I became a 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus.  What an amazing experience.  If any of my Brother Knights read this, and are not yet 3rd Degree Knights, I say do it.  God Bless the Knights of Columbus.  Tonight, I learned that I don't know enough about my faith, and what I would do to defend my faith and my Brothers.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!  I will be joining in a year or so.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Congrats!  I will be joining in a year or so.

Great!  Being Catholic rocks.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Secret societies are the cool!  Did you get to learn the secret handshake and signs yet?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw the topic and thought "what is this guy playing, Dungeons and Dragons?".

Congrats man.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Congrats man.

I thought the same thing!

What the hell are the "Knights of Columbus"?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Congrats man.

I thought the same thing!

What the hell are the "Knights of Columbus"?

I better edit the title! You can learn about the Knights of Columbus at www.kofc.org  The thing is that the website does not even begin to describe the organization.  I am very proud to be a part of it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Me too, I joined last week.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
img218.imageshack.us/img218/848/kkk6flagsmall5an.jpg

Wow not funny.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#10]
K of C is another excuse to get away from the women and drink beer in a pseudo-secret society.  And wear funny stuff in church.  And bring swords into church, even when the pastor hangs signs prohibiting concealed carry, saying"Blessed are the peace makers..." and he isn't meaning Single Action Army revolvers.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Tonight, I became a 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus.  What an amazing experience.  If any of my Brother Knights read this, and are not yet 3rd Degree Knights, I say do it.  God Bless the Knights of Columbus.  Tonight, I learned that I don't know enough about my faith, and what I would do to defend my faith and my Brothers.  

Its cool that you are part of something bigger than yourself, where you can learn and contribute in a meaningful way.

....So When do you get a sword?

Does it come with the outfit or do you have to bring your own sword?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#14]
When do you get chainmail and a thousand years of power?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Do you get to sail to America and claim it for Spain?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img218.imageshack.us/img218/848/kkk6flagsmall5an.jpg

Come on that is kind of funny.

No, that is not funny.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its cool that you are part of something bigger than yourself, where you can learn and contribute in a meaningful way.

....So When do you get a sword?

Does it come with the outfit or do you have to bring your own sword?

Can you just bring a plowshare instead?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Aren't the KOC sworn enemies of the Freemasons?

ErictheHun vs Collin!!

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#19]
IBTCB [In Before The Christian Bashers]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#20]
My Dad was Grand Knight of his local chapter in Ft. Collins.  When my youngest son saw them marching in a parade, he exclaimed, "Look Daddy!  Pirates!"

So, in honor of your achievement, I give you The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I think it's this Columbus, not the sailor...

So they're like Knights of the city, ....pretty cool....other cities should do this....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's this Columbus, not the sailor...

refuse.ci.columbus.oh.us/kcb/images/kcblogo.gif

So they're like Knights of the city, ....pretty cool....other cities should do this....

We don our armor and keep out the heathens and door to door salesmen.

Are you a former 160th guy?

No, no military service background.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Please tell me more about the KOC--
They are Catholic right

I saw them once dressed up to carry the remains of St Theres the little Flower
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

ErictheHun vs Collin!!

The weapon of choice for KOC would be the sword
                                         Masons  would be class iii
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:29:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Tonight, I became a 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus.  

Right on.. I got my Warrior up to level 34 and bought my new spells.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Congratulations and Welcome Brother Knight.
BTW, while "Knights are of the third degree, the "Dressed up Knights" are fourth degree members.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:40:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

ErictheHun vs Collin!!

Not enemies, we do some charitable events together out here.  However, a Catholic is prohibited by the Church from becoming a Mason.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:44:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please tell me more about the KOC--
They are Catholic right

I saw them once dressed up to carry the remains of St Theres the little Flower

Yes, Knights are Catholic, the ones you saw with the regalia are the 4th Degree members.  Our foundations are Charity, Unity, Fraternity, and Patriotism.  4th Degree regalia is means to somewhat resemble a naval officer's uniform of the 15th/16th Centuries.  If interested, find a local Council.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:52:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Congrats Collin!  I went through the 3rd with my buddy who is a priest.  He was even impressed.  We were supposed to do the 4th year before last in Orlando but we missed it.  I was ticked because that is when Jeb Bush became a 4th Degree.  I'm scheduled for November this year.

Bay(3rd Degree)Eagle
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:53:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Another "super double secret organization" thread.  

Last time I was this interested in something, I flushed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:01:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Make sure you're not late when it's your turn to guard the Grail.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:02:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Knights of Columbus is not a secret organization.  The only thing we aren't allowed to talk about are the specifics of the ceremonials.  Everything else is pretty much open.  There are no secret handshakes or anything like that.  Membership is proven by a card, not some sort of secret sign.  Yes, the Knights are very open about what we do.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:05:40 AM EDT
[#35]
What color belt goes with that degree?    

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:05:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Knights of Columbus is not a secret organization.  The only thing we aren't allowed to talk about are the specifics of the ceremonials.  Everything else is pretty much open.  There are no secret handshakes or anything like that.  Membership is proven by a card, not some sort of secret sign.  Yes, the Knights are very open about what we do.

Just out of curiousity, what do you guys do? I have about zero knowledge of the various "community groups" that I occasionally see signs for.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:10:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:00:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Thank you, Eric!  You are not nearly as bad a guy as the Site Staff says
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:08:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Did the knights of columbus kill off all the knights templar?  Just kidding..

Congrats!!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:13:12 AM EDT
[#40]
I always thought the KoC was mostly Italian because I believed Columbus as in Christopher Columbus.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:16:03 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

How much does that cost these days?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:16:25 AM EDT
[#42]
From the KofC website:

On Oct. 2, 1881, a small group of men met in the basement of St. Mary's Church on Hillhouse Avenue in New Haven, Connecticut. Called together by their 29-year-old parish priest, Father Michael J. McGivney, these men formed a fraternal society that would one day become the world's largest Catholic family fraternal service organization. They sought strength in solidarity, and security through unity of purpose and devotion to a holy cause: they vowed to be defenders of their country, their families and their faith. These men were bound together by the ideal of Christopher Columbus, the discoverer of the Americas, the one whose hand brought Christianity to the New World. Their efforts came to fruition with the incorporation of the Knights of Columbus on March 29, 1882. They were Knights of Columbus.

The Order has been called "the strong right arm of the Church," and has been praised by popes, presidents and other world leaders, for support of the Church, programs of evangelization and Catholic education, civic involvement and aid to those in need.

Father McGivney's founding vision for the Order also included a life insurance program to provide for the widows and orphans of deceased members. The Order's insurance program has expanded substantially to serve more effectively the Knights' growing membership. Year after year, the Knights of Columbus has earned the highest possible quality ratings for financial soundness from A.M. Best and Standard & Poor's. The Order provides the highest quality insurance, annuity and long-term care products to its members, along with many other fraternal benefits.

The Supreme Council is the governing body of the Knights of Columbus and is responsible for the development of the organization as a whole. Supreme Council duties include establishing the Order in new regions and setting up regional authorities, defining and advancing its values and goals, undertaking organization-wide initiatives, promoting awareness of the Knights' mission worldwide, and protecting the families of members through its extensive insurance program. Members working in local, or subordinate councils, however, carry on the majority of the Knights' beneficial work.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#43]
I MAY be wrong but I believe that a Catholic can also be a Mason. Before I joined the Lodge my wife( whom is Catholic) requested that I ask a priest if the Church had anything against it. The priest, and several others since then, have told me that the ban on Freemasons was lifted in the '70s. I know several Masons that are Catholic.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:51:10 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I MAY be wrong but I believe that a Catholic can also be a Mason. Before I joined the Lodge my wife( whom is Catholic) requested that I ask a priest if the Church had anything against it. The priest, and several others since then, have told me that the ban on Freemasons was lifted in the '70s. I know several Masons that are Catholic.

QUAESITUM EST
Declaration on Masonic Associations

Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith

It has been asked whether there has been any change in the Church's decision in regard to Masonic associations since the new Code of Canon Law does not mention them expressly, unlike the previous code.

This sacred congregation is in a position to reply that this circumstance is due to an editorial criterion which was followed also in the case of other associations likewise unmentioned inasmuch as they are contained in wider categories.

Therefore, the Church's negative judgment in regard to Masonic associations remains unchanged since their principles have always been considered irreconcilable with the doctrine of the Church and, therefore, membership in them remains forbidden. The faithful, who enroll in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion.

It is not within the competence of local ecclesiastical authorities to give a judgment on the nature of Masonic associations which would imply a derogation from what has been decided above, and this in line with the declaration of this sacred congregation issued Feb. 17,1981. [1]

In an audience granted to the undersigned cardinal prefect, the Supreme Pontiff John Paul II approved and ordered the publication of this declaration which had been decided in an ordinary meeting of this sacred congregation.

Rome, from the Office of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Nov. 26, 1983

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger Prefect

Father Jerome Hamer, O. P. Titular Archbishop of Lorium
Secretary
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:59:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

QUAESITUM EST
Declaration on Masonic Associations

Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith

It has been asked whether there has been any change in the Church's decision in regard to Masonic associations since the new Code of Canon Law does not mention them expressly, unlike the previous code.

This sacred congregation is in a position to reply that this circumstance is due to an editorial criterion which was followed also in the case of other associations likewise unmentioned inasmuch as they are contained in wider categories.

Therefore, the Church's negative judgment in regard to Masonic associations remains unchanged since their principles have always been considered irreconcilable with the doctrine of the Church and, therefore, membership in them remains forbidden. The faithful, who enroll in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion.

It is not within the competence of local ecclesiastical authorities to give a judgment on the nature of Masonic associations which would imply a derogation from what has been decided above, and this in line with the declaration of this sacred congregation issued Feb. 17,1981. [1]

In an audience granted to the undersigned cardinal prefect, the Supreme Pontiff John Paul II approved and ordered the publication of this declaration which had been decided in an ordinary meeting of this sacred congregation.

Rome, from the Office of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Nov. 26, 1983

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger Prefect

Father Jerome Hamer, O. P. Titular Archbishop of Lorium
Secretary

I know little about the KoC, but I suspect that if it weren't for the pressure from lay Catholics to provide an alternative to freemasonry, the KoC wouldn't exist.

Again, though, i know little about the organization.

(Other than the fact that most organizations who speak out against freemasonry also frown upon the KoC)

-arowner(www.ephesians511.org) again
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:02:14 AM EDT
[#47]
I guess someone should tell the Priests that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#49]
ETH, do you which principle(s) of the Masons are the reason for the Catholic Church's position of considering membership by a Catholic a grave sin?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#50]
edit:

nevermind - the question was asked of EtH.

it's his lie - he can tell it however he wants.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top