Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 7:39:41 PM EDT
This evening my wife was getting ready to take my step-son to practice.  As always she had to remind him to put his seatbelt on before she would leave the house.  He yelled "Leave me alone.  What are you a psycho?!"  She then sat in the driveway until he apologized.  As she was driving down the road, he said something else in disrespect, and she turned the car around and took him home.  He missed his practice and will probably have to sit out of the game for some time next week.

The next part I don't understand, but she was talking on the phone to my step-son's step-mother and told her the story.  She agreed with the punishment.  About an hour later his real father called my wife and went ape shit.  He said it was "fucking bullshit" that she kept my step-son from an activity he liked and threatened to get a lawyer to get custody.

Who is right?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Mom is right.  She usually is.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Show the boy some graphic pictures of car accidents where the people weren't wearing their seatbelt. Preferably ones with detached limbs and open eyes.

Punishment sounds right to me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Your wife is right. Not punishing that sort of behavior only facilitates and encourages it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 WIFE
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Fine with me.

Of course, if I said something like that to my mother or father, I'd have a new game to play..."Pick up teeth!"       <--------I'd look like this after Dad got hold of me.

Edit to add: If he's allowed to treat his mother this way with no reprisal, then he WILL become his father, using anger and harsh language to get what he wants from what he sees as the weaker sex.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]
If the kid is at "dads" house he can punish as he see's fit. If kiddo is at YOUR house dad can go take a flying ---- at himself. As long as the punishment is not abusive and that was not, the courts will laugh in his face and tell him to quit wasting their time. Sounds as if dad needs to learn YOUR house, HIS house are two different things. Besides, since momma did the diciplining he has zip to go on. Is his support paid up? If not, he won't take a chance on going to court.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
+2 wife here...
how else is the kid gona learn any respect..   his behavior is just unacceptable
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mom is right.  She usually is.  

I'd say the punishment fit the crime, but that doesnt mean moms are usually right.

This one seems like she's got her head on straight though. Good job
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#9]
No question about it.  Disrespect to an adult or parent earns punishment.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Indeed.  Mom is in the right.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes.  The father is current on his child support payments:  a whopping $100 a month.  He has a history of physical abuse and anger management problems.  What a surprise huh?

My wife and I are in agreement.  We don't want to raise a mirror image of his father.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I backtalked my mom *once*. I also made the mistake of grabbing her wrist when she went to slap me. I did not see the other hand coming....

He got off light
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Kid's testing the limit's. Make sure he know's where they are and stick to them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Mom was litterally 6'2" 180lbs when I was growing up. Your stepson is lucky he will be able to sit out next week.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What are you a psycho?!

You know, I asked my mother that once. I was about five or six. It was also the first and last time I said anything disrespectful either one of my parents. We both must have set a new world record for the 400 meter dash as she chased my punk ass out the front door. Just the idea of what she might do to me once she caught me - made scarier by the fact that she usually is not quick to anger or hit - was enough to get me to apologize profusely during our little sprint. She accepted, apparently believing I had learned my lesson. She was right.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Way to go, Mom.  From another mother.  It might just be his age, but if he's having a dramatic shift in behavior, consider that it might be more than puberty.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Your wife is right. Not punishing that sort of behavior only facilitates and encourages it.

+1 Your wife is 100% right and handled it like a pro.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, guys.  I knew I could count on you.  Respect for your parents doesn't seem to be the norm anymore with some of today's children.  I think my step-son had it easy for too long and my wife has now had enough of his little jibes, backtalk, and complaints when we ask him to do his chores.

Since we don't believe in any violence in our house, we punish him by taking away privaleges, additional chores, and grounding.  However, he also gets plenty of praise for being proactive, responsible, and getting good grades.

Above all I want him to respect his mother and women in general.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Mom is right.

Yep.

She usually is.  

When it comes to punishment, hardly
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#20]
+1 wife!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Mom is right.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:19:22 AM EDT
[#22]
She was right. That kind of disrespect is uncalled for. If I had acted that way towards my mother, I would have been belted so hard I wouldn't have been able to sit down for days. That kid needs his teeth rattled and a tour through the local morgue to wake his dumb ass up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:21:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Mom is right and furthermore if he was my boy I would have belted him when I got home for talking to my wife that way.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:25:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Mom is right. Gotta halt the disrespect before it starts/gets worse.
He got off easy, I wouldn't have been able to sit for a week if I had did that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:31:18 AM EDT
[#25]
It sounds like the kid should have been smacked more when he was younger...  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:34:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Yes.  The father is current on his child support payments:  a whopping $100 a month.  He has a history of physical abuse and anger management problems.  What a surprise huh?

My wife and I are in agreement.  We don't want to raise a mirror image of his father.

Your wife is right.  After reading the above the father's reaction is not surprising
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:55:35 AM EDT
[#27]
She did good.  Had to pull the same move with my daughter the other day so she missed cheerleading for a game.  Oh well, respect gives respect.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:07:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Sounds reasonable to me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:25:52 AM EDT
[#29]
That is exactly the same way my wife has handled similar BS in the past.....  Good for her!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:29:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I backtalked my mom *once*. I also made the mistake of grabbing her wrist when she went to slap me. I did not see the other hand coming....

He got off light

Always duck and move when Mom starts swingin'...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:32:14 AM EDT
[#31]

She did good.

Not only did she teach a lesson about safety, she also taught a lesson about respect and consequences.

I bet he puts on his seatbelt and shuts the hell up next time

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:38:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd have slammed on the brakes and let the little bastard darling  take flight
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:54:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Mom did the right thing. My wife and I make my son sit out of soccer  games for punishment. When this happens he also has to apologize to his teammates and coaches for letting them down. We want him to know that his decisions can affect others and he has a responsibility to others to fulfill his obligations.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#34]
The two choices are to condone inappropriate behavior or correct it.

Consequences follow accordingly.

My experience is that as kids get older you have better effect by impacting their social/recreational activities than by spanking them.

One of the jobs of a parent is to teach kids the connection between behavior and consequences.  Sounds like she was just doing her job.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Mom did the right thing. My wife and I make my son sit out of soccer  games for punishment. When this happens he also has to apologize to his teammates and coaches for letting them down. We want him to know that his decisions can affect others and he has a responsibility to others to fulfill his obligations.

Outstanding!  That lesson is one he will learn well..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top