Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 6:30:25 PM EDT
I caught the two nearest mom 'n pop stores selling really stale beer.   For instance, a microbrewery IPA that tasted like crap, on closer inspection was over a year out of date.  The guy made it right, but it still ticked me off.

Then the other night I went to get a six pack of Becks Ockoberfest, and saw that the dates ranged from mid 2004, back to sometime in 2001.  And the cardboard carrier had "2002" on the side (some anniversary).

I suspect that the distributor is maybe getting credit for the stale stuff and is supposed to be destroyed, but  it is getting "rescued" and sold illicitly, either on regular deliveries, or is getting sold out of some distributor employee's "side business".

And then there's always the possibility of less-than trustworthy corner store people.  

This torques my balls.   I understand the game they play with the milk, but it seems to be getting out of hand when you have to inspect every damn bottle of brew that you buy.   Yaaaaarrrrrrr!!!

What do you guys think is going on?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I need to move to your area.  Obviously someone's not pulling their weight on the demand side.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This torques my balls.  

I don't have any myself, but I'm thinkin', "Damn, that's gotta hurt!"
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Now with "POLE"
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a liquor store near my house that does this. Every time I stopped in to pick up a 6-pack, It was stale. So I tried getting some plain Bud instead of microbrews. Didn't help still stale.

I no longer give them my business.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Drink a few of the stuff that hasn't expired first, then go for the older stuff... I doubt you'll care.

That or demand your money back.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had this happen to me several times lately.  It has happened at several stores, so I don't think it is the quickiemart guy doing it. I think the increase in beer prices the last year or two meant there was a lot of unsold beer in the warehouse.  One time it really pissed me off, because it was too late to go out and get more beer.  

Unfortunately, not all beer has a readable date code.  I may start only buying beer that I can confirm the date on.  I don't normally keep beer in the fridge, and just buy it when I am in the mood.  I may have to just stock up, but don't want to start drinking it just because it is there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top