Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 5:30:46 PM EDT
Been in the market for a different truck to use as a daily driver/work/hunting....

Found a '97 F150 4x4 Lariat with 114,000 miles on it.  Fully loaded.  Power everything.  Interior is leather and in absolutely immaculate condition.  

Exterior has a few minor scratches/dings and has a couple small dents in the tailgate.  It has the tow package with Reese reciever and a bedlilner.  

It has the smaller 4.6 liter V8...this motor worth a darn?  Pros/cons?  I kinda liked the idea of the smaller motor w/ gas prices.

The guy is asking $7000 OBO for it...

What do you guys think
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Lotta miles on it for that price, but I tend to be biased. The only motors that I trust with high mileage are the Ford 5.0 and the Chevy small blocks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
A smaller engine means little in a truck unless you are in traffic your whole life.

I was in the market for a used pickup a few years ago, and I read where the 1996 F150 was the among the best ever.  In the same book, I seem to remember that the years before and after had some dings against it, but I can't remember...

The bottom line is this:  Forget about brand, color, trim, accessories, year, etc...  When buying a used truck with high mileage, it's ALL ABOUT CONDITION.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Been here yet, www.kbb.com?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 98 that I drive daily and I love it!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Lotta miles on it for that price

Lots of people say that, and claim to have purchased (or know someone who did) a great truck for $1500 or so, but I've never seen a deal anywhere close to that...  I believe that most are blowing smoke, are buying from relatives, or have significantly lower standards than I have.  7K doesn't sound too bad for a truck it that CONDITION.  The market means far more than the Kelly blue book numbers.

A few years ago when I was shopping for a secondary vehicle (full sized 8 foor bed 4wd truck) I paid 7k for a 1994 GMC K1500 with well over 100,000 on the odo.  I simply couldn't find ANYTHING close to what I wanted for less.  In fact, there were lesser trucks going for more money than that.  The key here is that it was in very good condition, and it had a $1,200 fiberglass shell already installed, something I would have had to buy as an extra.  Was this a dumb move?  Time would tell...  And almost 3 years later it's still serving me well.  I think I won that one...

FYI, the extended cab/crew cab boom has killed the availablity of 8 foot beds on the used market.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#6]
KBB.Com has it at $6980 considering it to be in "good" not "excellent" condition
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#7]
In my opinion, as a Ford truck guy, two things.

The V8 choices are the 4.6 or the 5.4, they are essentially
the same engine, one just has a longer stroke.

1). The MPG in a truck between the two is identical.  
There is no savings with the smaller engine.

2). The 5.4 is a much better engine in a truck.  Loads of
low-end torque.  The 4.6 makes it's power at higher RPMs,
making it more suited for the Mustangs it is in.

DanM
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Too small of an engine.  Keep shopping.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Lots of people say that, and claim to have purchased (or know someone who did) a great truck for $1500 or so, but I've never seen a deal anywhere close to that...   I believe that most are blowing smoke, are buying from relatives, or have significantly lower standards than I have.  7K doesn't sound too bad for a truck it that CONDITION.  The market means far more than the Kelly blue book numbers.

A few years ago when I was shopping for a secondary vehicle (full sized 8 foor bed 4wd truck) I paid 7k for a 1994 GMC K1500 with well over 100,000 on the odo.  I simply couldn't find ANYTHING close to what I wanted for less.  In fact, there were lesser trucks going for more money than that.  The key here is that it was in very good condition, and it had a $1,200 fiberglass shell already installed, something I would have had to buy as an extra.  Was this a dumb move?  Time would tell...  And almost 3 years later it's still serving me well.  I think I won that one...

FYI, the extended cab/crew cab boom has killed the availablity of 8 foot beds on the used market.  

Ain't that the truth.  A while back I was looking at a M-38 for 6k.  Like most other responses when I had asked for opinions were along the lines of "My buddy found one in a crate for $300" or " I found one restored for $1200."

I waited for the exact truck I wanted to come along and it did after 3 months: 97 Ford diesel crewcab 4x4. I paid blue book and am happy with it. It had 114K on it, no prob.  Only $80 to fill up at Sept 22 prices.

ETA: post 800!  Yehaaa!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#10]
In my area that's not a bad price not a great price but ...

Anyway like Driftpunch said condition condition condition. Pull up Carfax.com for history not perfect but helpful for making a better decision.
I work for a Dodge Dealerships and that's about 2 grand high for a trade in but again condition matters here also.

By the way, the motor is way too small for the truck it would work great in a Mustang but it's too small for a truck, not enough torque for one thing. That  means you'll use more gas for the same power as 5.4L motor.

I'd keep looking.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the price is too high.  Two and a half years ago I bought a used 1995 Suburban (2wd) with around 118k miles pretty well loaded and in immaculate shape for $6200 on Ebay.  Given that a truck should cost a but less than an SUV and the prices for all used vehicles and especially trucks/SUVs is down right now I'd say the price is too high.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top