Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 4:47:21 PM EDT
I decided that an extra $2500 for vinyl privacy fencing just didn't make sense.  So, I'm getting 8' length privacy fence, 6 foot tall, total of 223 feet with one large gate.  Pressure treated pine.

What can I do either immediately, or a little later, to keep it looking nice, keep rot, mold, dirt, fading, cracking, etc. from happening to it?

Should I paint?  Waterseal?  Nothing?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
CEDAR!

F pine.

6' tall
Cedar (was more expensive but worth it.) with cedar caps.
Stainless steel galvanized nails.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you get the treated nails, if you don't those black streaks will look terrible
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I spent a ton of fricken money on a cedar fence because the fence people said it won't rot and the bugs won't eat it. They lied. I'll never make that mistake again. I'll put up 6'cyclone fence and plant bushes. Fuck cedar or for that matter any wood fence. If you live in a very dry area it might last longer but not here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't Cedar comparable to vinyl, price wise?

ETA; Bulldog, that is a beautifull fence BTW.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Make sure you get the treated nails, if you don't those black streaks will look terrible

+1 I paid more for stainless nails and it was worth it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Back to my original question:

What can I do either immediately, or a little later, to keep it looking nice, keep rot, mold, dirt, fading, cracking, etc. from happening to it?

Should I paint? Waterseal? Nothing?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I would imagine it would depend on what look you want. If you want to keep it with the wood look, they make Pressure-treated Southern yellow pine fencing, then you can seal it with a water sealant. Or you can prime the fence, then paint it with outdoor paint.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I sprayed mine with Thompson's. Get the type with the UV protection. Use a cheap weed sprayer. Make sure you dont get any of the sealer on your lawn, plants, etc.  Thompsons sucks for flat surfaces on decks. It doesnt stand up well to foot traffic. it works well on fences, though
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I have a plain jane fence.  Due to the hurricanes in the last twelve months, I have had to repair and replace sizable chunks of it.  Putting a lot of top-end work into one might not be the best idea.

As far as what you should do - well, I haven't done anything.  I used Yellawood and let the sun darken it.  I like that look the best.  Mold is mostly a problem if that part of the fence doesn't get any light.  A few boards will crack eventually, however they're easily replaced.

Some of Ivan's handiwork

A hurricane will snap your 4x4 like a cheap pencil.

Those were from Ivan.  Dennis took one of my 8-foot panels and had it airborne for over 100 feet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, guys!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Pressure treated lumber has to weather for a year or two before water sealing will even work.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#13]
How about keeping the bottom off of the ground a few inches?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top