Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 4:16:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Enlighten me on the need for bullion cubes when the SHTF.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Ammo aisles are full?!  I figured they'd be gutted clean along with everything else.  To the Academy!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Why did you scope out mundane stuff?  You should have been casing Best Buy and picking out your new plasma tv.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They cover up the iodine taste and color when purifying water. Gatorade powder does too.

Blink! I didn't think of that. I'm updating my Earthquake kit. I'll add those to the Water purification bag.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I always try to stock up on a little bit every time I shop ( water, canned foods etc) but I missed the opportunity to buy that handcrank radio form Radio Shack when Rita passed me by....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Good stuff DF.  Great call on the Gatorade and bullion.  Amazing that there were pitas and tortillas available.  They are the one long shelf life, bread product.  I grab them before every storm.  

Something everyone will want and won't be able to get post-storm are cleaning supplies.  

In MS, the big requests were, in order;

Tarps/plastic visqueen
Cleaning supplies
Diapers
Trash bags
Rubbermaid containers

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Good stuff...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They cover up the iodine taste and color when purifying water. Gatorade powder does too.

Not to mention making Ramen more tolerable.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

There were lots of people wandering around looking completely lost. People buying coke, beer, candy, etc.  

Did you bring your notebook and a camcorder to record this?  I wonder if you looked like a bemused survival veteran surveying our populations general preparedness during this recon, or if people were kind of wondering why you were wandering around.

No disrespect intended, but I detect a hint of misanthropic elitism in this post.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Good stuff DF.  Great call on the Gatorade and bullion.  Amazing that there were pitas and tortillas available.  They are the one long shelf life, bread product.  I grab them before every storm.  

Something everyone will want and won't be able to get post-storm are cleaning supplies.  

In MS, the big requests were, in order;

Tarps/plastic visqueen
Cleaning supplies
Diapers
Trash bags
Rubbermaid containers

I bought an assload of totillas when my team was in LA, and, now, two weeks later, we still have most of a bunch left.  I had to give teh yankees on my team a crash course in tortillas.  Thier eyes lit up like a kid at christmas when the bit down the first time in a tortilla they made themselves.......I'm such a proud pappa  

Tortillas are among the great survival bread products.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
.......there was plenty of chili.

But in the very next sentence he said....

The toilet paper aisle was mostly clean, except for about 40 packages of the camp size rolls.

Smart chili shoppers know you can't stock up on one without stocking up on the other!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I bought an assload of totillas when my team was in LA, and, now, two weeks later, we still have most of a bunch left.  I had to give teh yankees on my team a crash course in tortillas.  Thier eyes lit up like a kid at christmas when the bit down the first time in a tortilla they made themselves.......I'm such a proud pappa  

Mind sharing a couple of quick recipes?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I always try to stock up on a little bit every time I shop ( water, canned foods etc) but I missed the opportunity to buy that handcrank radio form Radio Shack when Rita passed me by....

That shelf was full when I dropped by REI as well.  I grabbed one.

How much was it? a thread awhile back said it was $19.95
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mind sharing a couple of quick recipes?

Well, honestly, the joy of the tortilla is that you can take most stuff,
toss it together and, make it all yummy.
I made a spam, onion, and, mustard burrito, and, my partner from
NJ looked at me like I was crazy. It turned out good, and, I gave him one.
He looked up at me and said..

"Hey, this is pretty f'in good!"

lol.

Use tortillas like you'd use two slices of bread.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#20]
buying milk before a storm is stupid
the power will go out and the milk will spoil
people always buy milk and bread. two things I rarely eat. I'd rather buy canned food. psychologically more filling (without sounding gay, I like to eat meat) and can handle being thrown around or submerged in water
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
people always buy milk and bread. two things I rarely eat. I'd rather buy canned food. psychologically more filling  and can handle being thrown around or submerged in water

(without sounding gay, I like to eat meat)

Meat.....

You're teh ghey.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
people always buy milk and bread. two things I rarely eat. I'd rather buy canned food. psychologically more filling (without sounding gay, I like to eat meat) and can handle being thrown around or submerged in water

Sardines in oil.  Mmmmm.  And it's filled with protein, fat, calcium and other essential nutrients.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top