User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 3:28:13 PM EDT
link

Mexicans Living on Texas Gulf Hurry Home
Sep 22 3:27 PM US/Eastern

By OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ
Associated Press Writer

MONTERREY, Mexico

Hundreds of Mexicans living on the Texas Gulf Coast were rushing home Thursday to avoid Hurricane Rita, while authorities in northern Mexico readied shelters and prepared for heavy rains.

In Nuevo Laredo, across from Laredo, Texas, Mexican families coming from Houston, Galveston, South Padre Island, Corpus Christi and Pasadena, Texas, waited in long lines to get temporary import permits for their cars.

Thousands of Mexicans live and work in Texas, but still have family _ or even second homes _ in Mexico. With Rita bearing down on the Gulf coast, many felt it was time to go home, at least for a week or so.

Moises Ramirez was one of hundreds crossing into Mexico on Thursday. A carpenter and home owner from Pasadena, Texas, he left behind his job and house to stay with his parents in Monclova, 440 miles southwest of Pasadena.

Traveling with six relatives, Ramirez said he worried about what he would have to come back to, but he wasn't ready to risk staying in the storm's path.

"What happened in New Orleans could also happen there," he said, referring to Texas.

Nuevo Laredo authorities said families crossing from Texas started coming to the border city late Wednesday, and by Thursday morning more than 1,000 people had crossed into Mexico.

"Hearing Rita was one of the most powerful hurricanes in the history of the Gulf was enough for me to leave," said Roberto Garcia, who left his home in Corpus Christi and was heading to a suburb of Monterrey, where his family lives.

The influx of Mexicans fleeing the Texas Gulf Coast was expected to increase, and authorities were adding customs agents and personnel at the border.

Many families in northern Mexico have relatives in Texas, and South Padre Island is a popular vacation spot for people from Monterrey.

In Nuevo Leon state, which includes Monterrey, Gov. Natividad Gonzalez sent a letter to Texas Gov. Rick Perry offering to send in medical and rescue crews. Gonzalez also said Nuevo Leon was prepared to set up shelters near the border in case they are needed.

"Just like you have helped the victims of Katrina, we in Nuevo Leon are ready to offer help to our friends in Texas," Gonzalez wrote.

Salvador Trevino, public safety director for Tamaulipas state, which borders the Texas Rio Grande Valley, said no evacuations have been ordered because Rita is expected to make landfall in Galveston, Texas.

___
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]
They don't seem to be too worried about being able to re-enter the US
they will probably be given "humanitarian" re-entry immunity, why not?
its not like they have to obey any other laws that US Citizens do
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
link

Mexicans Living on Texas Gulf Hurry Home
Sep 22 3:27 PM US/Eastern

By OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ
Associated Press Writer

MONTERREY, Mexico

Hundreds of Mexicans living on the Texas Gulf Coast were rushing home Thursday to avoid Hurricane Rita, while authorities in northern Mexico readied shelters and prepared for heavy rains.

In Nuevo Laredo, across from Laredo, Texas, Mexican families coming from Houston, Galveston, South Padre Island, Corpus Christi and Pasadena, Texas, waited in long lines to get temporary import permits for their cars.

Thousands of Mexicans live and work in Texas, but still have family _ or even second homes _ in Mexico. With Rita bearing down on the Gulf coast, many felt it was time to go home, at least for a week or so.

Moises Ramirez was one of hundreds crossing into Mexico on Thursday. A carpenter and home owner from Pasadena, Texas, he left behind his job and house to stay with his parents in Monclova, 440 miles southwest of Pasadena.

Traveling with six relatives, Ramirez said he worried about what he would have to come back to, but he wasn't ready to risk staying in the storm's path.

"What happened in New Orleans could also happen there," he said, referring to Texas.

Nuevo Laredo authorities said families crossing from Texas started coming to the border city late Wednesday, and by Thursday morning more than 1,000 people had crossed into Mexico.

"Hearing Rita was one of the most powerful hurricanes in the history of the Gulf was enough for me to leave," said Roberto Garcia, who left his home in Corpus Christi and was heading to a suburb of Monterrey, where his family lives.

The influx of Mexicans fleeing the Texas Gulf Coast was expected to increase, and authorities were adding customs agents and personnel at the border.

Many families in northern Mexico have relatives in Texas, and South Padre Island is a popular vacation spot for people from Monterrey.

In Nuevo Leon state, which includes Monterrey, Gov. Natividad Gonzalez sent a letter to Texas Gov. Rick Perry offering to send in medical and rescue crews. Gonzalez also said Nuevo Leon was prepared to set up shelters near the border in case they are needed.

"Just like you have helped the victims of Katrina, we in Nuevo Leon are ready to offer help to our friends in Texas," Gonzalez wrote.

Salvador Trevino, public safety director for Tamaulipas state, which borders the Texas Rio Grande Valley, said no evacuations have been ordered because Rita is expected to make landfall in Galveston, Texas.

___

Toodles!

We need to have hurricanes more often!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#3]
damn. Way to look at the silver lining. Now I kinda wish we could get hurricanes here in AZ
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn ! That means I'll have to mow my own grass now.................
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Millions of Mexicans will apply and receive FEMA and RC $
And their entire family in Mexico--They will even surpass the blacks in scamming even more money...sad but true
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quick lock the gate!

They will be back, and FEMA will welcome them with open arms. They will be the ones tacking up all those "blue roofs" just like here in Pensacola. FEMA shipped them in here after Ivan, i read there was over 10k of them here now. Ofcourse they aren`t going to leave just because the hurricane job is over. I`m seeing for the very first time news broadcasts in spanish as well as spanish radio station
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a good time to put up a wall down there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#8]
The things that crawl out from under rocks due to these hurricanes (NO now this).  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Wait a damn minute!!!  If the Mexicans entered the US illegally, how are they reentering Mexico legally?  Wouldn't this be checked by Mexican border patrol while processing importing their cars?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wait a damn minute!!!  If the Mexicans entered the US illegally, how are they reentering Mexico legally?  Wouldn't this be checked by Mexican border patrol while processing importing their cars?

illegals in America are one of the biggest sources of income for mexico.............
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:17:01 AM EDT
[#11]
What I found interesting about the article was the article doesn't mention anything about the Mexicans being illegal or undocumented, etc - a  clever avoidance on part of the author.  The article made the front page of Drudge.  But think about it, if "Mexicans" was replaced with "Canadians", "French", "Germans", etc, you'd assume they were talking about Candian/French/German nationals.   It's possible the Mexicans referred to in the article had valid green cards I guess.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:32:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

illegals in America are one of IS the biggest sources of income for mexico.............

there
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What I found interesting about the article was the article doesn't mention anything about the Mexicans being illegal or undocumented, etc - a  clever avoidance on part of the author.  The article made the front page of Drudge.  But think about it, if "Mexicans" was replaced with "Canadians", "French", "Germans", etc, you'd assume they were talking about Candian/French/German nationals.   It's possible the Mexicans referred to in the article had valid green cards I guess.

It is possible, I have known several Mexicans that legally crossed the border every year
to visit their families in Mexico.  But the media does NOT report about illegals anymore
if you search google for "illegals" crime you don't get anything, if you search for "immigrant" crime......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top