Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 1:03:26 PM EDT
I have a generic heatsink and fan on my CPU right now. It is extreamly noisey, close o 30db. I am looking for a fanless heatsink, or atleast a quiter one. I have pretty much decided on a thermaltake "Sonic Tower." The only problem is it does not have the same type of mounting syster as my current socket 478 heatsink. How would I go about mounting it if I get it?

Also, my mobo manual says I have a socket 478/b whats the difference between that and a regular 478?

-THANKS

-FOX-
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]
That thing looks retarded. Probably weighs too much and will more than likely cause problems by pullin on the socket. MOBOs are designed to only withstand so much weight pulling on them.

I would shop around and just find a quieter fan and heatsink set up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That thing looks retarded. Probably weighs too much and will more than likely cause problems bu pullin on the socket.

agreed, just get a coolermaster
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
just go watercooled.
That thing looks retarded
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a fanless peltier system.

Agreed, too much weight.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Here you go. This will run quiet, cool efficiently and use the existing heatsink mounting bracket on the motherboard.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Fox have a look around here.

www.ocforums.com/

Lots of good info to be had with a little looking.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Or you can do something cheap and simple like just change out the cpu and case fans for something quieter. A solution that will probably just as if not more effective and again cheaper.

www.sidewindercomputers.com/index.html

www.plycon.com/
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
that might work on a horizontal mobo, but I have to agree that on a vertical mobo it'll pull too much.
and I thought my HS was huge
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]
FOX- you need a heatsink.  You should get a quieter fan/heatsink setup.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Looks like a fanless peltier system.

Agreed, too much weight.

No.  Fanless heat pipe, more properly, a Perkins Tube.  A heat pipe is a capillary-loaded Perkins tube.  Or a Perkins tube is a gravity assisted phase change heat transport system.

Either apparatus conducts heat many thousand times greater than even deoxidized silver and even much greater than liquid metals.

Whatever you do, do not forget the heat transfer compound.  I recommend Artic Silver.  Tapes suck and the white stuff is also poor.  Read and follow the application instructions.  Too much doesn't help and not enough will cause problems.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Look into 120mm case fans and a 90mm fan off-mounted on the CPU.

Big fans will give you more airflow at a fraction of the noise.

ETA: will that thing even fit in a case?

and +1 don't forget the Arctic Silver.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell, just pull the fan and run a water hose on the heat sink, that'll cool it off.  You guys get too complicated.  Sheesh!  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here you go. This will run quiet, cool efficiently and use the existing heatsink mounting bracket on the motherboard.

+1 to the zalman.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have that one, plus the power supply fan, and 2 case fans, one sucking in one blowing out
not loud at all even with all those fans
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#15]
The case fans are not the problem. I have 6 fans total in my box. 2 side case fans and one front. I have one on my graphics card and another on my CPU. And of coarse my PSU has one. The PSU is reletively high quality so it runs pretty quite. My case fans are awsome and the only sound they emit is  the air they move. I do not have the balls to mess with my graphics card so that leaves my heat sink and HDDs are my major noise makers. Are there any good products to reduce the noise of HDDs? They make a high pitched whining sound simular to that of a turbine engine but not a loud. I am looking for a near silent heatsink/fan. <10db.

-FOX-
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Alright, after sticking my head inside my case while it was running I discovered 2 things. one, the cpu cooler isn't nearly as loud as I thought it was, 2 the HDDs are making all the noise. So, my new question is, how do i shut up my HDDs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy quieter hard drives or start reading.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Alright, after sticking my head inside my case while it was running I discovered 2 things. one, the cpu cooler isn't nearly as loud as I thought it was, 2 the HDDs are making all the noise. So, my new question is, how do i shut up my HDDs.

I don't think harddrives are supposed to be noisy. Mine make almost no noise.  How old are they? If they are getting old they may be on their way out...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think harddrives are supposed to be noisy. Mine make almost no noise.  How old are they? If they are getting old they may be on their way out...

Less than 3 months old.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#20]
You can opt to use small o-rings as "gaskets" for the HD mounting screws. The orings are the same size as the ones used on the AR-15 extractor.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The case fans are not the problem. I have 6 fans total in my box. 2 side case fans and one front. I have one on my graphics card and another on my CPU. And of coarse my PSU has one. The PSU is reletively high quality so it runs pretty quite. My case fans are awsome and the only sound they emit is  the air they move. I do not have the balls to mess with my graphics card so that leaves my heat sink and HDDs are my major noise makers. Are there any good products to reduce the noise of HDDs? They make a high pitched whining sound simular to that of a turbine engine but not a loud. I am looking for a near silent heatsink/fan. <10db.

-FOX-

They do make hard drive enclosures that dampen hard drive noise and noise dampening sleeves for hard drives. You can also mount the drives on rubber mounts … but in my experience the only way to control hard drive noise is to buy quite drives.

You will play hell getting CPU fan noise below 10db but you don't have to... get the CPU fan noise around 25db and you will not notice it.

They do make sound damping material that you put on the inside walls of the computer case that can knock down a lot of noise.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 92mm Tornado fan in mine, moves about 120 CFM. Noise Level is a little high though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

let me guess their western digital
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My WD drives are quiet. So it the one seagate I have. The bastard Maxor is  friggin loud though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My WD drives are quiet. So it the one seagate I have. The bastard Maxor is  friggin loud though.

for a while there when the 8mb buffer WD first came out they were extremely loud from the factory. some were others weren't.   None of my WD have been that loud
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Fox, no need to post your computer specs, as we are all psychics here.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:14:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:19:48 AM EDT
[#28]
XG/MGE Sidewinder case
MSI somthing mobo
Intel Celeron D 2.93ghz CPU
WD Caviar HDD 120gb
WD Cavair HDD  60GB
3 case fans
Geforce 3 ti200
SantaCruise Turtle Beach sound
Dell data fax modem
500w PSU
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:34:59 AM EDT
[#29]
There might be a problem with your HD's.Mine make a slight high pitch noise,but they are spinning at 10K.

Sine they are 3 months old,find out how long the warranty is.Back up all your HD info then just run the drives until they die.Or you could just return them and get new ones.

Also might want to clean the inside of your case,if you don't do that already.All the dust buildup can make things pretty hot in the computer case,causing temperature controlled fans to work a lot harder ie:Spin faster.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:48:43 AM EDT
[#30]
You sure it's not the case fans making all the noise?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:54:21 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Imagine the photoshop possibilities...

To answer your question though..

If you want to make your HDD quieter, turn off your computer, go outside and get some fresh air.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:00:20 AM EDT
[#32]
if you want to "certify" your harddrive you can run this utility made from WD link  you can make a bootable cd or floppy
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Positive, they are liquid ball bearing fans. I though they were the cause of the noise so I put a piece of foam the came with my mobo in between my case door and the fan. (with a hole in the center of coarse.)  Pics when I get home.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I use a Thermalright xp-90c, highly reccomend it. Put a 92mm panaflow on it and it's still really quiet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#35]
As I stated earlier, here is a pic of the silencers I put on the fans. They are on all the case fans.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Positive, they are liquid ball bearing fans. I though they were the cause of the noise so I put a piece of foam the came with my mobo in between my case door and the fan. (with a hole in the center of coarse.)  Pics when I get home.

Most of the noise could be the 60GB drive... if it is not the boot drive unplug it and see.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Fox remove the drive from the bracket but don't unplug it.
Turn on the pc whil holding the drive in your hand and carefully listen to see if it makes
a whining sound or some sort of sound other than the normal head seek noise.
If it doesn't make those noises, try the same with the other drive.
If the other drive is quiet, then the only thing left would be the video card fan.
My old GF4 had a fan that was the loudest thing inside my pc.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top