Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 12:35:58 PM EDT
So there are all these stories about thousands of people leaving Houston.  The helicopter shots show gridlock.  The drive to Dallas is supposed to be like a 24 hr drive.  People are running out of gas along the road.

Why did everyone decide to go north?  Why not west, or south?  To Lubbuck or Laredo or Brownsville or somewhere?  Surely there is a road from Houston to Lubbock.  I'd rather go 45 or 50 miles per hr on a country road than ran out of gas sitting still on an interstate.  Plus, once your car runs out of gas and you're stranded, you're still in the path of the storm!!!!  At least if you went west or south there is less chance of 1) running out of gas and 2) being stranded in the path of the storm.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Good Question. I'm betting that a lot of folks were headed to relatives in Dallas as hotels rooms are already few and far between due to Katrina. I know a couple of people that had that as Plan A. They are now working on Plan B.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The report I heard this morning says the drive from H-town to DFW is a 5 hr. drive

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
If the traffic is backed up 100 miles, its gotta be a longer drive than that.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why did everyone decide to go north?

Obviously, they yearn to become Yankees.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#7]
They leave New Orleans for one hurricane, go to Houston for another hurricane, now they get to north, maybe we'll have an early winter set in and they'll get a blizzard too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The report I heard this morning says the drive from H-town to DFW is a 5 hr. drive

Nope. 24 hours.

It's about 4 1/2 under normal circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#10]
From what I've heard, pretty much every way out of town is in the same condition. Northbound I-45 towards Dallas is just getting most of the media attention.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#11]
i'm headed to brownsville.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why did everyone decide to go north?  Why not west, or south?  .  

Umm maybe because SOUTH is heading right into the storm (i.e. Galveston & Freeport).

People are going west, have you been following this?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#13]
well, i live just north of houston in conroe, it doesn't matter which way you go i-10 east and west is backed up, 59 southwest is backed up, 290 northwest is backed,
itis just one major problem,

yopu gotta remember there are soemthing lik 4 million people in the are and almost 2 million are expected to evacuate

that is a shitload of people and we are going to ride it out shouldn't be to bad up here
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#14]
ETA-The drive from Houston to DFW is USUALLY a 5 hour drive.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It's 5 hrs on a clear day, w/ no hurricane...

You've got over a million people on the lam.... Roads are gonna clog.

I'm thinking that people are heading north, as, there would be more lodging up this way, than if they were to head west.

Just my two pesos....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They leave New Orleans for one hurricane, go to Houston for another hurricane, now they get to north, maybe we'll have an early winter set in and they'll get a blizzard too.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
well, i live just north of houston in conroe, it doesn't matter which way you go i-10 east and west is backed up, 59 southwest is backed up, 290 northwest is backed,

yopu gotta remember there are soemthing lik 4 million people in the are and almost 2 million are expected to evacuate

that is a shitload of people and we are going to ride it out shouldn't be to bad up here

I'm asking this from total ignorance of the road system in that area, but with all the Interstates clogged (last I saw this morning) are the secondary roads out of the area any better to travel on? Or do the news choppers just photo the Interstates for scale of traffic jams?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#18]
We are almost on the OK border in Wichita Falls and all the hotel/motel rooms are booked solid.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#19]
3 million vehicles multiplied by 24 feet per car,  divided by 16 lanes and then by the 4 major highways still equals a line of cars 213 MILES long on EACH of the 4 major highways, these being I-10 to the west, I-45 to the north, US 290 to the NW and US 59 to the NE.

They are not all going north.

Contraflow on the I-10 is for 175 miles from the center of Houston.  That is Seguin!!!!  DAMN!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I with you brother,I am Katy myself,Godspeed...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
From what I've heard, pretty much every way out of town is in the same condition. Northbound I-45 towards Dallas is just getting most of the media attention.

Yep, it sucks in any direction.  We turned around and returned home this evening, thank God we were on a two lane highway so had the U-turn option.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yep, it sucks in any direction.  We turned around and returned home this evening, thank God we were on a two lane highway so had the U-turn option.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm asking this from total ignorance of the road system in that area, but with all the Interstates clogged (last I saw this morning) are the secondary roads out of the area any better to travel on? Or do the news choppers just photo the Interstates for scale of traffic jams?

The secondary roads are as bad as the interstates, but at least they give you a U-turn option.  They don't get photo ops like the 10 lane majors.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#24]
A lot of the people started out Wednesday afternoon and evening, when the landfall was projected to be Matagorda Bay area and heading inland with strong winds towards Austin.  It was also on the radio yesterday that Austin was out of hotel rooms by mid-afternoon.  All major Houston oadways were shown as jammed on the online traffic site at 11pm, exits on some routes were restriced before then.  

I left Victoria 4am today (Thursday), had no trouble on 87 and 183 to Austin.  Dodged the 183 and 290 parking lots when entering town, and had an easy time on 35 up to DFW and then fell asleep 30 seconds after takeoff.  No way in hell I was going to IAH for the original flight, didn't even consider it for Wednesday.  Other that the folks lined up around the gas stations under I-10, didn't have any slowdowns.   I was prepared with food and water to drive all the way up here to CO.

Gas prices were 2.59 all the way up from Victoria, I think Waco might even have been a bit cheaper.  Saw a convoy of 30-50 ambulances and comfy buses heading south on 87, saw lots of school buses and NatGuard heading south on 35.  

WTF was with the bus drivers in Austin going on strike this morning - KVET was all over them.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Actually my dad told me ALL the hotels in Del Rio are booked, which doesn't happen unless it's rodeo weekend or the fishing tournament's in town.  San Angelo is full too, that's way the hell up there in West Texas.  So some people are doing the smart thing, I guess.  Even if the hurricane doesn't hit head-on I'm sure there'd still be some flooding some places.  I probably won't get to go home and see my family this weekend like I was supposed to but whatever.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Part of the "North" is because that direction on the freeway is called northbound and the talking heads don't know the actual direction.  And yeah the best direction to be heading is southwest to south.  That's getting you into the least dangerous semi-circle. (Hurricane/Typhoon Evasion 101)  Not only are the winds less on that side but hurricanes tend to go northwest to north, some go more westerly but they almost never ever have any southerly movement until they are falling apart.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:53:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why did everyone decide to go north?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously, they yearn to become Yankees.

Say that in Texas and it might get you shot.  

And would be considered justifiable homicide.    "The sonuvaboetch needed killin'."
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#29]
People went North because that's where civilization is.
Dallas is north, San Antonio is north, Austin is north.

East is Katrina evacuees
West is Prarie
South is Brownsville (Little Mexico)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#30]
People went north because until Wednesday, it was supposed to hit to the south.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top