Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 11:29:54 AM EDT
i know this is simply common sense, but i spoke with the manager of the gas station i use, and he said that a price increase is coming tonight, and a very substantial increase comes down friday night.  when asked if $4/gal was out of the question, he replied "we could see that next week."

this is with current $2.67/gal in dallas.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Isnt the whole mad dash thing that helps prices go up in the first place?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#2]
prices are going up one way or the other.  this will be supply-reduction inflation, not increased-demand inflation.  it's your choice how you spend your money.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Correct.  Self-fulfilling prophecy.
However, you know it will happen, so there's no point holding out.
I ordered a semi of gas for work yesterday, which will come tonight at 5am.
If I waited til we need it, it will be much, much more expensive.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#4]
the biggest port(again) and the 2nd is about to be hit, if it gets bad here in Houston your gas is going to go up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#5]
LOCK AND LOAD!

IRENE!

BUG OUT!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm filling up my tank and topping it off tomorrow, payday. The fucking shitty thing is if they are raising prices tonight when the fucking hurricane isn't here till tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Communist News Network (CNN) just reported (2:35pm CST) that the port of New Orleans was just closed in addition to a significant fuel transfer pipeline that runs to the 'midwest' part of the united states.

I bet it doesn't take 2 hours for every gas station within 1000 miles of the coast to raise their prices simply due to supply and demand.  That being the supply is now cut off and the demand will only increase as Rita gets closer.
~m38a1
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm filling up my tank and topping it off tomorrow, payday. The fucking shitty thing is if they are raising prices tonight when the fucking hurricane isn't here till tomorrow.

I agree.  However, if they didn't raise prices, they would likely sell out and run out of fuel.
By raising the price, it keeps everyone from topping ogff their tanks.

I'm not defending gas stations, just pointing out another way of looking at things.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure about that...  Not trying to pick a fight, but don't most people view their vehicles as their 'freedom' and they will do just about anything to keep that freedom even inspite of how much it costs?  ie: They would fill it up simply because of the 'unknown' they face and when they might be able to fuel again?  I would tend to believe most people would choose a full tank over a meal for them and the family if the opportunity presented itself allowing them to take a full fuel load.

Then again, I filled my truck up yesterday for $97, and said 'ouch' as I hit the odometer reset button knowing I had 600 miles available to me should I need it...
~m38a1

ETA
Spelling
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.  However, if they didn't raise prices, they would likely sell out and run out of fuel.

I'm not defending gas stations, just pointing out another way of looking at things.

Unless you're like me and top off before the price increase.

But then again, 'topping off' is a way of life for me.
"What's that?! Down to 3/4 of a tank?? Time to fill up."
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Time to watch some Mad Max movies!FUEL!!!!!!!!! Mad with the smell of gasoline!!!! KER CHUNK KER CHUNK!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Production in the Gulf of Mexico cut again and a chance of some refineries in Texas and La being shut down plus the ones all ready down in La and Miss. Do you think that gas prices will go up? You bet your coonass on that.(Racetrack had gas for $2.39 close to my house)
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Production in the Gulf of Mexico cut again and a chance of some refineries in Texas and La being shut down plus the ones all ready down in La and Miss. Do you think that gas prices will go up? You bet your coonass on that.(Racetrack had gas for $2.39 close to my house)

I'd whip out a coonass for gas thats 2.39 a gallon in a heartbeat.   Gas in my area just dipped to 2.99 at most stations, cheapest I found yesterday when I filled up was 2.89 at arco.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I topped off today. While pulling up to the station, I kicked myself for not doing it yesterday. It went up 20 cents overnight.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd whip out a coonass for gas thats 2.39 a gallon in a heartbeat.   Gas in my area just dipped to 2.99 at most stations, cheapest I found yesterday when I filled up was 2.89 at arco.  

Well goddam!! gas is goin up faster than a long tailed coondog flea in a southern fried steak eatin contest!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#16]
just filled both cars     $2.68      

BTW, if you'er in Houston area and you aint yet gassed up...........you'er F'd!  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yep. It's not the only reason but it aggravates it and will accelerate it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#18]
The hurricane is continuing to turn north...

The refineries aren't going to be down for very long unless the hurricane turns back west.

fortunately, this whole series of events has persuaded congress to ignore the greenies and let the refiners build more plants.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
... But then again, 'topping off' is a way of life for me.
"What's that?! Down to 3/4 of a tank?? Time to fill up."

+1

9/11 was the wake up call for me.

I live a bit too close to D.C. to get caught with even half-a-tank of gas.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Filled up today, ONLY cause I had to, truck was sucking fumes...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Time to watch some Mad Max movies!FUEL!!!!!!!!! Mad with the smell of gasoline!!!! KER CHUNK KER CHUNK!!!!!!!!

Methane cometh from pig shit.

"Not Pig Shit,  Energy!"  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I live 30 miles north of Austin and every place here is running out of unleaded.  Only the plus and supreme left.  $2.59 was the price of regular unleaded, but they didn't have any.  The next was $2.69 for mid grade, tomorrow will be a completely different story.  If we have any gas it's gonna be high I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Then again, I filled my truck up yesterday for $97, and said 'ouch' as I hit the odometer reset button knowing I had 600 miles available to me should I need it...
~m38a1

ETA
Spelling

Filled the big rig this AM $350.00 then topped the pickup off this afternoon another $100.00. If diesel goes over $4.00 a gallon you won't want to see what food will cost.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#27]
We're running out of gas here in North TX as well.  Lots of stations are sold out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Seeing as I burn through about 80 gal. or so of Diesel a nite,I think there will be some rough times ahead.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

~m38a1

ETA
Spelling

3 diesel trucks, one credit card: $170.  they even suspended my account because of the unusually activity of 4 quick hits on the card (good on their part).
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
LOCK AND LOAD!

IRENE!

BUG OUT!

wOOt !!
AWOB !!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I learned my lesson last time- a few stations were out here and prices went up dramatically over the course of a couple of days.
I now have 25 gallons of gasoline that I paid $2.69 for this morning sitting comfortably in a cool place, waiting for the inevitable price spike.
However, I didn't tell the wife I did it. That way, when the Odyssey is sucking fumes and gas is $3+/gallon, I look like a soouper geenius. If it doesn't spike, I've got plenty on hand for the lawn mowers.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Why?

Lets say I have a 20 gallon tank and I need to fill up 15 gals.  Throw in (TWO) 5 gallon containers.  So, 25 gallons.  25x4.00 = 100 dollars.  

If I fill up now at 2.90 a gallon... 72.50.   All that just to save 27.50?   Thats chicken feed... yawn.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
fortunately, this whole series of events has persuaded congress to ignore the greenies and let the refiners build more plants.

Where did you hear this?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Diesel was $2.56 / gallon this am on the way to work....$2.69 / gallon on the way home.

I stocked up rather to avoid waiting in line vs. saving money.

I HATE FUCKING LINES.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Tanks filled and another 40 gallons in cans.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Yep, filled up today for $2.50 a gallon. I drive an econo car that gets 40mpg on the highway. It's going to suck for all the truck/suv drivers here in a few days if it gets $5 a gallon. Also if more people in this country knew how to drive a manual transmission they would be getting much better mileage shifting their own gears.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got 91 octane for $2.98. Though I guess thats not too bad as about 2 blocks away the station wanted $3.17 for 91!

All 3 vehicles have full tanks, and 15gal. in jerry cans.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#38]
In KC at 6pm I waited in line for 15 mins behind 2 other cars to fill up my dad's truck,  I also helped the parents out and filled:

Their 2 lawn mowers
My mom's tahoe
3, 5 gallon gas cans

Then went and topped off my civc,  my bike, and my lawn equiptment.

I'm good for about 3 weeks between the civic and the bike.  Civic gets 35mpg and bike will go 50+mpg.  With a spare 5 gallon tank I'll get another 250 miles from the bike.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
... All that just to save 27.50?   Thats chicken feed... yawn.  

OTOH, if gas is simply unavailable that extra $27.50 you don’t mind spending isn’t going to do you any good.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Unless all of the refineries are blown away gas will come back down in a few weeks at most. Not back to the sub $2 range but WAY to many people just love the fuckin doom and gloom forcasts. They were already on the way back down untill this one.
I still say due to all the money (gubment or otherwise) that will be infused in reconstruction in the south the economy at a national level may benfit in the coming months.  How much lumber and construction materials will be used? How much infrastructure just to restore electrical services to business, local infrastructer, and homes? Medical supplies and equipment for what was lost? Hell how many new cars and trucks will have to be replaced? The list goes on, it may not be cheap but these are items that have to be made and supplied from all over the country. That means someone has to be working at a job to supply all of these things and more. That or I could be totally wrong.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you hear this?

CNBC this morning.  Not sure of the details.  I probably spoke in haste.  More likely they're assembling a committee to address the problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top