Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2005 9:47:15 AM EDT
news.yahoo.com/photo/050922/480/txps10209221626&g=events/sc/091905hurricanes;_ylt=AlAgb4ZDZJMo2x7JCe5A.upH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3bGk2OHYzBHNlYwN0bXA-

Motorists wait in line for fuel at one of the few open gas stations in Pasadena, Texas, Thursday, Sept. 22, 2005. Residents were evacuating the area west of Houston due to a mandatory evacuation prior to Hurricane Rite arriving.

Just now getting gas???  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Those are all the people we inherited from Louisiana.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#5]
there are sheeple in TX just like everywhere else...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Transplanted yankees.  Usually called "Snowbirds".
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

September snowbirds?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

DITTO! I always get a kick out of the usual "Texans are better" line of crap. There are douchebags in every state. Crap, there are whole towns full of idiots. Texas has Austin, Montana has Missoula, Washington has Seattle, California has... ummm... errrrrr... Californina, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#10]
HA! I love those urban commandos with their SUVs!! a lot o good they do on a jammed freeway. So i say "whip it out" ??? A map that is! find a better route out, im sure there are plenty ways out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

September snowbirds?

They're old, they get confused.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
HA! I love those urban commandos with their SUVs!! a lot o good they do on a jammed freeway. So i say "whip it out" ??? A map that is! find a better route out, im sure there are plenty ways out.

Screw that, keep them on the main roads.  We don't need anymore idiots coming through our little towns.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I suppose.  I just like to think that Texans know better.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I was talking to a friend of mine in Texas last night and they pulled over to a gas station between Austin and Houston and the gas station was closed but people had turned the area around the station into an open latrine!!!

Those Texans disgust me...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#15]
we are running out of gas trying to get out, people jumped the gun and split early, my evac time is 6pm, of course I'm going the back roads that I have preplaned. But all the gas stations are either closed or are out of gas for a 100 miles up, very very few stations are still open around here, I've already gone thru a tank of gas trying to help my friends and family
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Gas lines have been backed up for days in many areas.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#18]
The gas stations are a mile apart and it is a 12 hour drive from station to station.  Even at idle you burn alot of gas.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#20]
These people should've been watching Rita when it passed Florida, and start gassing up their vehicles when it became clear that somewhere along the Texas coast Rita was going to hit.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The gas stations are a mile apart and it is a 12 hour drive from station to station.  Even at idle you burn alot of gas.

I was just heard that the southbound interstate lanes are going to be reversed and used for north
bound traffic at 4 P.M. today.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#22]
i thought the same when i heard on the news last night that people were going to the store to "stock up" and the stores were packed and nothing was left.

im glad i found this website, especially the survival forum.  if a snowstorm or anything is coming my way, you wont catch me at the store trying to stock up 2 days before hand.

i got stuff for a week for now...increasing every day
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I can guar-an-tee when the PRK gets hit  with any disaster (quake, flood, wild fire, terror attack, exc.) those gas lines in TX will look like an orderly  tea party. The vast majority of CA is sleeping sheep!

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Ahem, I hate to break it to you but Texas was started (and heavily settled) by a 'transplanted Yankees'.

Texas, like any other state, has their fair share of natrually occuring idiots.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DITTO! I always get a kick out of the usual "Texans are better" line of crap. There are douchebags in every state. Crap, there are whole towns full of idiots. Texas has Austin, Montana has Missoula, Washington has Seattle, California has... ummm... errrrrr... Californina, I guess.

+2.  They too will be bitchin' about having no Red Cross debit cards come Sunday/Monday.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm sure you'll get over it.

Understand that my disappointment is born out of the fact that I hold Texans to a higher standard; I expect this kind of thing from folks in other regions.  I like to think of Texas as a sheeple-free zone.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#28]
A friend of mine left Houston this morning at 4:00 AM with a full tank of gas.

He called at noon and said that he had only made it 48 miles out of town.

So unless you want to haul a couple of hundred gallons with you, running out of gas is not easily avoided.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't worry, there's plenty of Good People here.

soo plus one!!!!!    

Not all of us are sheeple....so lighten up.  with all the news hype i am not suprised there havent been as many shootings yet.   only been a few so far.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A friend of mine left Houston this morning at 4:00 AM with a full tank of gas.

He called at noon and said that he had only made it 48 miles out of town.

Ed

Now, I'm worry.

that's why I have escape routes, I'm heading out at 10pm because I'm helping out friend who are staying ie boarding their windows, I'm also passing out ammo to them because I'm getting the hell out
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I've already gone thru a tank of gas trying to help my friends and family

Don't screw yourself for them - then you're ALL screwed.

Gice them advice - that's it.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

September snowbirds?

You ever been to Arizona? We're already ass-deep in 'em.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Many people are running out of gas just sitting in traffic. I bet many cars would easily run out if driving stop and go and sitting in traffic for 6-8 hours
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
YOU try waiting in traffic for 12+ hours and not run out of gas.

Amen.

Some of you other people have no idea.

God forbid you haver have something like this happen in your town.

We have ARFCOMers out there too you know.

Most of these people thought they were prepared.  This is a perfect example of why peolple need a plan to stay as well as a plan to bug out.

It is pretty easy to throw stones from 1000 miles away. Instead, you should pray and wish them luck.

Damn straight
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahem, I hate to break it to you but Texas was started (and heavily settled) by a 'transplanted Yankees'.

No,  Texas was started by folks such as German, Scottish, Spanish and Swedish Immigrants. That's why you get such town names such as Fredericksburg, New Braunfels, Kerrville, Sequin, and Boerne. Yankees didn't even exist.

True, but since in central Texas your average resident has only been here seven years, (only one in NINETEEN was actually born here.) That leaves a whole lot of the imported kind.

I dream of the day the tech industry craters and all the guys with funny accents and Michigan state bumper stickers  go pollute someone else's state.

Do us a favor and take all the Starbuck's with you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No,  Texas was started by folks such as German, Scottish, Spanish and Swedish Immigrants. That's why you get such town names such as Fredericksburg, New Braunfels, Kerrville, Sequin, and Boerne. Yankees didn't even exist.

True, but since in central Texas your average resident has only been here seven years, (only one in NINETEEN was actually born here.) That leaves a whole lot of the imported kind.

I dream of the day the tech industry craters and all the guys with funny accents and Michigan state bumper stickers  go pollute someone else's state.

Damn you Texans are ignorant of your own history.

Texas was settled 'by the anglos' starting with a man named Moses Austin.  He had the first approval for bringing in 'Americans' to settle in Texas.

Moses was born in Durham CT (his house is still there on the Main street, a certifiable Yankee, he ran one of his business from Middletown CT (right next door).

You people named a city after his son (Austin Tx).
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I left early wednesday morning from Galveston county and got to Austin in about 6 hours. Today I got an email from a friend who left Galveston county later wenesday afternoon and it took him about 13 hours to get to Columbus, normally about a 2 hour drive.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:04:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Texas was settled 'by the anglos' starting with a man named Moses Austin.  He had the first approval for bringing in 'Americans' to settle in Texas.

Moses was born in Durham CT (his house is still there on the Main street, a certifiable Yankee, he ran one of his business from Middletown CT (right next door).

I suggest you study your Texas history.

One guy settled the whole state?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:06:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Perhaps we should all move to Ohio, where the beer flows like wine, the streams are made of chocolate, and people are obviously more prepared and better adapted to handle evacuating several million people in the sights of the largest hurricane the Gulf of Mexico has ever seen.  Please advise us what to do next, o superior ones.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:07:21 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that attitude seems to be getting rather thick around here because of this storm. I realize that Texans want to put on a macho face and a "we can'do" attitude, but be realistic; no one state is really truly "better" than any other in this nation. We all have the good and the bad, and the grass is not always greener some other place.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:12:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

.....I thought you called them  "Damned Yankees".................stay safe ....Texas is great ..I have an Ex that lives there!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that attitude seems to be getting rather thick around here because of this storm. I realize that Texans want to put on a macho face and a "we can'do" attitude, but be realistic; no one state is really truly "better" than any other in this nation. We all have the good and the bad, and the grass is not always greener some other place.

Even our sheeple are bigger and better!

You mean fatter?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Not all of us are sheeple....so lighten up.  with all the news hype i am not suprised there havent been as many shootings yet.   only been a few so far.  

Those people probably needed shootin' anyway.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:32:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I was talking to a friend of mine in Texas last night and they pulled over to a gas station between Austin and Houston and the gas station was closed but people had turned the area around the station into an open latrine!!!

Those Texans disgust me...

We don't all wear adult diapers like most of the people over your way...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suggest you study your Texas history.

One guy settled the whole state?

No HE STARTED the settlement of Texas by the anglos (before then only the Mexians & indians could live there legally).  It was his plan that got the ball rolling that ended up being the great state of Texas.

Just as the people of Jamestown got the ball rolling in America, Moses Austing got the ball rolling in Texas.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:02:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top