Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 9:12:32 AM EDT
I know that heat is the universal solvent for Loctite, so I'm about to use the old trick of applying a sodering iron to a small screw before I attempt to break it loose.

Qusetion is, how long do I need to apply to heat it for the Loctite to become soft? The sodering iron is 15W & the screws are the small button heads that come with the KNS anti-walk/anti-rotate fire control pins. The Loctite is blue (medium strength). Yes... I applied extra.  

I don't want to over heat anything, so how long should I put iron to steel?

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
a 15 W soldering iron may take a long time.
I'd think a 40 W would be better in that case.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
are you heating it with a match or a torch?
Usually, if heating with a small butane torch, it comes loose in a few seconds.

Electric sodering iron (15W). Temps get into the 675 F range IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#3]
sorry.... I only read the title first...

i think a 15 W iron may not be able to overcome the large "heatsink" that is the rest of the material.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Use more Iron!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#5]
87 seconds!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a small flame on a propane torch applied to the head of the screw/bolt for 7.3 - 7.7 seconds.  Works well for me.

Kent
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]

how long should I put iron to steel?

The answer is 25-30 seconds. The 15W iron worked like a charm!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top