Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2005 7:49:44 AM EDT
Anyone from Houston to Lake Charles had better be headed out!

Right now it looks like it will go just East of Houston in the Winnie area...Petroleum Refinery row!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Break out the bicycles................5.00 gallons of gas
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#2]
are houston and galveston still in danger?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That thing is the size of the gulf - Tulsa is "in danger"
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

They're in the projected bullseye at the moment.  But from the way Rita's turned in the last 12 hours, though, it looks like the eye may come ashore in LA near the TX/LA border.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That's if there's any at all.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're in the projected bullseye at the moment.

maps.wunderground.com/data/images/at200518.gif

But from the way Rita's turned in the last 12 hours, though, it looks like the eye may come ashore in LA near the TX/LA border.

My WAG is the border as well. Maybe even east of that. The more east, the weaker the beast and maybe it will save those texas refineries.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
But from the way Rita's turned in the last 12 hours, though, it looks like the eye may come ashore in LA near the TX/LA border.

I think it's going to nail SW LA - seems they keep adjusting more and more to the east as it gets closer.  Maybe it will go back the other way, but I'm thinking not.  But I'm no weather man...

CR
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's going to nail SW LA - seems they keep adjusting more and more to the east as it gets closer.  Maybe it will go back the other way, but I'm thinking not.  But I'm no weather man...

CR

President Bush has already ordered it to go more East toward LA!

Between Port Arthur/Orange and Lake Charles will be hit hard if it comes ashore as projected.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CR

Better it hit the LA/TX border than T-bone Houston... far better. Unless of course you live there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Fickleness of the mob + people are stupid.

Quoted:
I can not believe that the hype has gotten to where it has. Katrina and the media hype have poisoned the minds of millions. The state of Texas has let itself got caught up in this to the point
where there is major gridlock every where along the coast. They even have a mandatory evacuation
still in effect as far south as Corpus Christi. WTF This is really insane. They were smart enough to get the coastals like Galveston out first and then moving the line for evac further inland, but what has happened is that many did not leave in the right order. They say the trip from Housto to Dallas is
a 24 hour drive right now. They are going to open up I45 all lanes going North for part of the way as of a while ago. My buddy's wife left Houston headed to San Antonio at 4 A M this morning. He said that she had moved six miles in four hours. I would have stayed put if I was off the coast.
My wife and her pregnant daughter went a head and left a while ago headed North to San Marcos.
I told them they may have to stay until Monday so as not to get hung up in the crazy traffic. Rita is
going east of Houston so I am definitly not going anywhere.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I get the over-statement, but they're calling for 3-5" of rain and 30-35mph winds gusting to 50mph, possibly even some turd-nados.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CR

Better it hit the LA/TX border than T-bone Houston... far better. Unless of course you live there.

Nope - I live in Northeast LA - but I do have family south of New Orleans.  Luckily their house was spared by Katrina (some of his neighbors did have significant damage).  His place of employment on the other hand was destroyed.

But I do agree - it would be better to hit that area than Houston.

CR
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I think every one along the Gulf Coast should prepare for the landfall.  The science of hurricane tracking is not exact. Looks like LA is going to get hit again. Wow, and North Texas is/was in the worst drought in many years. This storm should take care of that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Maximum sustained winds have decreased to near 165 mph...270
km/hr... with higher gusts. Rita is a category five hurricane on
the Saffir-Simpson scale. Some slight weakening is forecast during
the next 24 hours but Rita is expected to remain an extremely
dangerous hurricane.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to  85 miles...140 km...
from the center...and tropical storm force winds extend outward up
to 185 miles...295 km.

Estimated minimum central pressure is 907 mb...26.78 inches.
Coastal storm surge flooding of 15 to 20 feet above normal tide
levels...along with large and dangerous battering waves...can be
expected near and to the right of where the center makes landfall.
Tides are currently running about 1 foot above normal along the
Mississippi and Louisiana coasts in the areas affected by Katrina.
Tides in those areas will increase up to 3 to 4 feet and be
accompanied by large waves...and residents there could experience
some coastal flooding.

Rainfall accumulations of 8 to 12 inches with isolated maximum 15
inch total are possible along the path of Rita particularly over
southeast Texas and western Louisiana. In addition...rainfall
amounts of 3 to 5 inches are possible over southeastern Louisiana
including New Orleans. Based on the forecast track...rainfall
totals in excess of 25 inches are possible after Rita moves inland.
Repeating the 10 am CDT position...25.4 N... 88.7 W.  Movement
toward...west-northwest near  9 mph.  Maximum sustained winds...165
mph.  Minimum central pressure... 907 mb.

An intermediate advisory will be issued by the National Hurricane
Center at 1 PM CDT followed by the next complete advisory at 4 PM
CDT.

Batten down the hatches...Katy, bar the door! Looks like New Orleans is gonna flood again! They are saying anything over 3 inches of rain will compromise the levees again.

Glad to hear this bitch is weakening, but it should still be Catagory 3+ at landfall. Good luck, troops!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's the latest potential paths...One towards NO...

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#17]
God hates people from Louisiana.  Must be it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#18]
If you look at the sattelite weather vapor map superimposed with the pressure areas, there is a big gap in the lousiana area. They say storms like the least resistance. That big gap is at Lousiana.

M4-AKwww.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-vis-loop.html
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#19]
No, apparently he just hates Ray Nagin.  This thing seems to be tracking him.  If he moves to California next, watch out for The Big One.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't understand.....Why would Bush and Cheney use their "evil weather machine" to send hurricanes in the area of all the oil refineries.

Also, if they had this weather machine all along why didn't we use it on Iraq?  Would someone in the media explain that to me?

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#21]
It looks to me as if the eye will make landfall in western Louisiana.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't understand.....Why would Bush and Cheney use their "evil weather machine" to send hurricanes in the area of all the oil refineries.

Also, if they had this weather machine all along why didn't we use it on Iraq?  Would someone in the media explain that to me?

As the supply of oil and refined gas goes down the profit margins skyrocket!

Since they own every oil company in the US they will be the ones who benefit.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#23]
145 southbound has been shut down.

These pics are from the area just south of Madisonville, TX...90 miles north of Houston.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Carl Rove must be playing with the controls on the hurricane machine again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#25]
The shift in the storm is a great relief to me.  I live in Rosenberg, southwest of Houston.  Highway 36 and hwy 90 are pretty well rolling parking lots and there is very little gas to be found.  I don't wish bad luck to anyone but I am happy that my area apears to be out of harms way.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

These pics are from the area just south of Madisonville, TX...90 miles north of Houston.

www.lomah.net/cblack/img/rita/1.jpg

www.lomah.net/cblack/img/rita/2.jpg

www.lomah.net/cblack/img/rita/3.jpg

Now THAT'S how you evacuate a city!

Mayor Noggin and Governor Blanko should watch and learn.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!  

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Damn, looks like I'll be in Lake Charles in a few weeks.  Good luck to anyone in the path of the storm, I'll be praying for you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I just had a truck driver, looking for a place to park his rig a few minutes, pull up here (Nacogdoches, TX) that left Houston yesterday at 4 PM!

Yes it is 12:45 PM here!

21 Hours for a 2-2-1/2 hour drive.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Anyone from Houston to Lake Charles had better be headed out!

Right now it looks like it will go just East of Houston in the Winnie area...Petroleum Refinery row!

BigDozer66

awww poop!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I get the over-statement, but they're calling for 3-5" of rain and 30-35mph winds gusting to 50mph, possibly even some turd-nados.

I was not overstating much... DFW is going to be hit with hurricane force winds and a couple of feet of rain. That thing may make it to Texoma before it isn't a hurricane anymore.

ETA: If I were you, I would be looking to see a tornado or two
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Downgraded to Cat 4 at 17:50Z.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#35]
ITS ALL BUSHES FAULT !!!! watch out him might "send his commandos to blow up your dams"
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#36]
a friend left Houston at 600am to come to my place and he has made it 40 miles in 7 hours
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Hell if you look at the satellite images in motion on TV it looks like it is headed straight for NOLA
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I was not overstating much... DFW is going to be hit with hurricane force winds and a couple of feet of rain. That thing may make it to Texoma before it isn't a hurricane anymore.

Very true, but it's a long way from Texoma to Tulsa. We're still in for a helluva storm but I don't expect anything catastrophic.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm in Lake Charles, La . and my block all the sudden looks like a SHTF situation. I just walked outside to finish loading up "The Arsenal" in the SUV to leave for my camp up north. It looked like the opening scene in The film "Independence Day"  Good thing I already loaded up on a full tank of  gas, + the extra Jerry cans for the boat. I might need it , (The boat), to get back home. I live  right off Lake Charles that is  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'm in Lake Charles, La . and my block all the sudden looks like a SHTF situation. I just walked outside to finish loading up "The Arsenal" in the SUV to leave for my camp up north. It looked like the opening scene in The film "Independence Day"  Good thing I already loaded up on a full tank of  gas, + the extra Jerry cans for the boat. I might need it , (The boat), to get back home. I live  right off Lake Charles that is  

Take care brother!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take care brother!

BigDozer66

Yup - Be Careful out there
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#42]
btt
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

www.lomah.net/cblack/img/rita/1.jpg

www.lomah.net/cblack/img/rita/2.jpg

www.lomah.net/cblack/img/rita/3.jpg

Hey, what's all that green shit in the median?

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
ITS ALL BUSHES FAULT !!!! watch out him might "send his commandos to blow up your dams"

Yup, and Bush is headed to Texas already. Wait 'til Farrakan(sp?) puts his spin on that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:36:10 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Your dams are belong to us?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:40:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Anyone see actual evidence of a northern shift?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#47]
(rubbing crystal ball and staring at radar)
I predict landfall between Lake Charles and Lafayette.

What's your guesss?

M4-AK  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#48]

Mines in the shop getting fixed but I say your guess is about right.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

What's your guesss?

M4-AK  

My guess has been Sabine Pass (the border) and I'm still sticking by that.

Cajun(StillHopeful)Mojo

Damn you ETH, look what you made me do.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#50]
I hate it when I am right.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=391708

Posted :: 9/20/2005 3:41:56 PM EDT

Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
My prediction...

New Orleans again and Category 4. Or about 20 miles west of New Orleans. I know they are saying Texas, but I have a feeling NO is going to get the knock out punch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is your "feeling" based on anything substantiated?

Katrina didn't hit where it was suppose too. I "feel" Rita will do the same. Substantiated by my gut. Doesn't mean anyting, but I just get this uneasy feeling, this ones going to be bad too and either NO will become more of a war zone or somewhere else will have the same thing happen as NO. Gut tells me it's NO and it's going to be as bad or worse than Katrina.

How many oil refineries are in Galveston?

Guess I should invest in one of these...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top