User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 5:25:39 AM EDT

From Rush's site.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#1]
What more is there to say?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:47:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Nagin said that "we can't get people to work on workdays.  We certainly can't get them to work when a hurricane is coming."

OK, so how come Texas got it done, and so fast?  Are you saying that your city is lazy and selfish?  Short answer, yes.  Is it a big democrat-run city?  Yes.  Is Texas republican?  Yes.  I rest my case.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#3]
With all due respect, if Katrina never existed, I doubt you would be see the preperations being conducted in Galveston. Alot of the things that are happening are because of the lessons learned from Katrina.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
With all due respect, if Katrina never existed, I doubt you would be see the preperations being conducted in Galveston. Alot of the things that are happening are because of the lessons learned from Katrina.

Sure, that may be a contributing factor.  However, I am pretty sure Katrina was not the first hurricane that hit CONUS.  Plenty of other weather-related situations where lessons could have been learned.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If the buses weren't running because people just didn't want to work, it wouldn't have mattered.  If the bus drivers of Galveston were as lazy as the bus drivers of New Orleans, they would have left no matter what had already happened.

The bus drivers of New Orleans knew that they were abandoning their posts and stranding people, and they left.  They didn't care.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:57:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:58:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sorry, but I believe you to be absolutely wrong.

Houston/ Galveston are executing their disaster/ evac plans that are already on the books.... to a Tee.

Nagin and Co.  failed to execute the plans that the had on the books.

Texas is working with federal agencies and sharing NG loads with neighboring states.  LA refused NG collaborations.

LA turned back Walmart and Canadian donations at the state line.  I don't think Texas would/ are do(ing) this.

Remember last year?   Fla, 3 hurricaines, pre-Katrina, excellent disaster/ evac coordination/ implementation.

No, NO and LA are run by sheep who cannot control the sheep or the wolves.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If the buses weren't running because people just didn't want to work, it wouldn't have mattered.  If the bus drivers of Galveston were as lazy as the bus drivers of New Orleans, they would have left no matter what had already happened.

The bus drivers of New Orleans knew that they were abandoning their posts and stranding people, and they left.  They didn't care.

Then that has more to do with the character of the workers than the quality of leadership.

It was my understanding that NO city officials never even considered using the buses to evacuate.

The lessons learned should have come from Andrew.....I live in Texas and we see lots of Hurricanes and I don't remember people getting the hell out of dodge this early ever........and it is because of the damage done by Katrina being so fresh on the minds of those soon to be affected.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I am not buying that, no Katrina, no way they would be doing it as well as they are!!

my .02
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am not buying that, no Katrina, no way they would be doing it as well as they are!!

my .02

No wasn't doing it right a week later.  It wasn't until the feds came in and "took over" did things begin to improve.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:05:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Then that has more to do with the character of the workers than the quality of leadership.

It was my understanding that NO city officials never even considered using the buses to evacuate.

The lessons learned should have come from Andrew.....I live in Texas and we see lots of Hurricanes and I don't remember people getting the hell out of dodge this early ever........and it is because of the damage done by Katrina being so fresh on the minds of those soon to be affected.

It was the leadership that created the welfare state and cultivated the laziness, so in the long run, yes, it was the leadership.

I also thought I remembered hearing that using the buses was part of the detailed evacuation plan that had been on the books for many years.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:06:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've wondered the same thing.  If it weren't for Katrina, how many of these people would be looking at what is in the Top 3 of most powerful storms recorded and saying "Its not going to be that bad"?
People have no ability to conceive of the worst case scenario, apparently.  Even after Katrina, liberals are telling me that it can't happen here.  Even with Rita inbound, liberals are still telling me it won't be that bad.  What in the HELL does it take to wake these damn fools up?
Texan bravado notwithstanding.  We're still the Biggest and the Best.  Alaska doesn't count.

Damn Skippy!! If I was home now DF I would buy you a six pack and help you drink it!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top