Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 4:31:54 AM EDT
Crabgrass has taken over a good portion of my front yard this year. I don't think I have much choice but to kill everything and start over (unless someone has a better idea about overseeding, ect.)

Anyone have a good recommendation for a decent herbicide?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:35:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Agent Orange.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:39:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Diesel fuel or gasoline and a match.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:42:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Roundup. This will decimate EVERYTHING.  However it may linger in the soil for awhile so you may want to look at something a tad easier if you want to replant right away. Call a local horticulture/lawn care supply store and ask them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:44:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Diesel fuel or gasoline and a match.

+1  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:50:45 AM EDT
[#5]
 +1 on the roundup.    You can also use Ortho's Ground Clear, but don't expect anything to grow for awhile.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:57:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I used Roundup last time.  Follow the instruction, watch the buggers turn yellow and wilt, and let out your best evil laughter.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:57:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought Roundup WAS Agent Orange.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:22:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought Roundup WAS Agent Orange.

That's what you get for thinking......

Roundup is Glyphosphate.

How Roundup Works
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:24:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Vitamin G.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#10]
+ 1 on the Round up.

I would also look into finding some 24D.  If legal in your area.  It persists about a week, (Meaning don't let the kids or animals play or eat in it for a week)

but it will kill everything BUT lawn grass.  (Crabgrass isn't lawn grass.)  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:36:07 AM EDT
[#11]
If you still have a bermudagrass component in your yard, try some MSMA (monosodium methanoarsenate)

It'll kill everything but the bermudagrass.

A low dose of roundup will have a similar effect - it will 'brown' the bermudagrass, but it will rapidly come back.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Roundup, unless you have Nutsedge infestation as well as Crabgrass.

If you have Nusedge you need to treat with Manage first, wait a week then treat with Roundup.

What is your base grass? Is it Bermuda or Fescue? Some people mistake Bermuda for Crabgrass......

Either way you better hurry up.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:40:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Ortho's Ground Clear, is the shit.  If you want it dead us this you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:50:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ortho's Ground Clear, is the shit.  If you want it dead us this you will not be disappointed.

+1 here.  Roundup won't touch the desert weeds I get.  I might as well piss on them.  The Ortho kicks their ass!!

It has some type of salt as an ingredient.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Folks, let's try and LISTEN to what the man is asking for. You are setting him up for a real mess suggesting the product Ortho Ground Clear including a lawsuit from his neighbors.

From Ortho's site concerning Ortho Ground Clear the product that you guy's are suggesting Jack19 uses on his front lawn..........

Tips on where NOT to use Ortho Ground Clear

"Don't create new problems while solving your own! This is a soil sterilant for up to 1 year, so nothing grows where you apply it. Watch out for your neighbor's plants as well as yours when using Ground Clear. If you apply along your side of the fence and your neighbor has trees or shrubs growing just on the other side, you may injure or kill them. Coordination before application is the best approach. This product may move some distance in the soil, so assess your landscape before using Ground Clear on a slope. If there are desirable plants in the area, consider using a post emergent herbicide like RoundUp instead. In that case, a less "permanent" solution could save you money in the long run!

Active ingredients:
Glyphosate 5.0%
Imazapyr 0.08%
Other ingredients: 94.92% "

Ortho Ground Clear has the exact same main ingredient as Roundup (Glyphosate) PLUS the ingredient Imazapyr which is a soil sterilant. Nothing will grow for up to one year after you treat with this product.

Imazapyr

Residual Soil Activity: Imazapyr can remain active in the soil for 6 months to 2 years.

Glyphosate

Residual Soil Activity: Glyphosate is not generally active in the soil. It is not usually absorbed from the soil by plants.

Jack19, if I can help you in any other way please feel free to IM or e-mail me. I am a professional landscaper.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#16]
This year we were told by an old boy that vinegar works to kill weeds and such. It has worked for us this summer and no the neighbors have indicated that an increase in douching at our house has occurred...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:11:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Paraquate
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Base grass is a tall fescue.

Having grown up , mostly, in the north, I know crap about growing grass in the south. Growing weeds is easy...do nothing...but growing grass is difficult given long hot southern summers with little rain.

I need help.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Paraquate

Dude, this isn't the 70s.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you still have a bermudagrass component in your yard, try some MSMA (monosodium methanoarsenate)

It'll kill everything but the bermudagrass.

A low dose of roundup will have a similar effect - it will 'brown' the bermudagrass, but it will rapidly come back.

+ 1

I have bermuda and this one lazy ass neighbor on the other side has a shit yard, he doesnt do shit to it.

So his shit st. augstine tries to vine its way into my yard.

I take MSMA from HD put it into one of those bottles about 1oz, mix the rest with water, hook a hose to it and spray it all over liberly

As the previous post says it will kill everything but the bermuda.

In my case, my yard looks great with out the lazy neighbors crap SG..I see him looking at the propertly line wondering why my grass looks great, his dead weeds...duh because I over lap the spray, my nice grass is even growing on his side now..

You would think he would get it and do something with his yard..Mine is so think and green and his is
crap.

Spray it once a week, lay it on thick and watch it die off and the other grass grows in.

My 2 cents

John

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top