Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 9:10:31 PM EDT
Just wondering, No one around here has it. But if a huge hurricane hit here, its possible areas could be flood. I would say definitly down by the beach. So If a big one is projected to hit in 2 days. Could you call up your insurance company and quickly add flood insurance to your plan? Dont know if thats even possible
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  Most insurance companies will no longer write you a policy once there is a storm pointed at you, for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
no
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC, "flood insurance" is a national, federally funded project.

It is.. look here
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#4]
It's kinda like trying to get medical and life insurance after you've been diagnosed with cancer...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you imagine the premiums they'd ask?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Who the hell needs hurricane insurance when there's "Uncle Sam's Hurricane Slush-Fund" ready to cover your ass for free?

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Why is flood insurance a federal program?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Who the hell needs hurricane insurance when there's "Uncle Sam's Hurricane Slush-Fund" ready to cover your ass for free?

+1.  Just complain that Bush hates "whatever you are" loudly enough and you can get anything.  Even 200 billion dollars.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:39:50 AM EDT
[#9]
It takes 30 days for flood insurance to go into effect.  Also, your agent goes though FEMA (I think) to get it.  My flood insurance is doubl my home owners!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:42:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

because insurance companies refuse to cover flood damage
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:05:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

because insurance companies refuse to cover flood damage

Yep.

Lightning strikes one home at a time. Even tornado damage is fairly concentrated. But floods and hurricanes damage entire cities and even whole counties. AND THEY KEEP HAPPENING YEAR AFTER YEAR! Any insurance company in that portion of the state would have to be insane and would very quickly be bankrupt if they tried to insure against such a REGULAR and PREDICTABLE county-wide disasters.

So there's Uncle Sam to the rescue...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top