Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 8:10:37 PM EDT
To set the scene:  spring semester freshman year at grand ole UGA.  Athens is covered in dogwood blooms and the most beautiful and least dressed young women on the planet.

I had a relationship with this girl named Erica (I would change the name but it is crucial to the story) in high school.  Despite her desire to stop talking to me after I graduated I managed to rekindle things over my fall break.  I went home to visit her a lot but after Christmas she transferred to a private school 1000 miles away in Michigan.

This put a strain on things.  Not to mention that I had been studying about 25 hours a week for this horrendous class with a close female friend of mine - who was tall and hot as the dickens but also a genius and total ice queen.  Exactly my type.  I was falling in love with her as I grew distant from Erica and I hardly realized it.  Her name was Amanda.

So I have dated a lot of girls since high school and many of them at the same time (to their knowledge, I'm not that sneaky) - and I had always prided myself on never calling anyone the wrong name.   Which is funny because my dad never called them the right name when I brought them home.  He called all of the blondes "Jessica" and all of the brunettes "Rachel."

But I screwed up.

I was on the phone with Erica one spring day and she was blathering on about something very culturally specific to her new private school and hence very boring to a freshman at UGA.  My mind drifted to Amanda just a tad.  I realized it was the point in the conversation where I respond with "Erica, that's very interesting, blah blah blah . . . "

But I found myself saying "Amanda . . . " - and my mind was screaming NO! STOP! SAY ERICA!  YOU'RE SCREWING UP!  YOU'RE SCREWING UP RIGHT NOW!

What came out was the following:  

Me: "America!"
Erica: "Huh?"
Me: "Uh, um, it's a great country."
Erica (miffed that I am not paying attention to her story): "Okay . . ."

Now let me ask you:  is there any other combination of girlfriend and illicit interest that could result in me calling my girlfriend the wrong name, reversing in mid-word and resulting in something that made sense in English?  

If I had said "Rebe . . . Erica" or "Ama . . . Krista" or something else I would have been sunk.

God Bless AmErica.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#2]
great story

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1 Patty
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Good one!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]
At least their names weren't Clara and Doris
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
At least there names weren't Clara and Doris

LOL
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I was sleeping with a girl named Susan and called her Theresa once.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Or how about last summer when I broke up with Bekah for Becky?  I had to really work to not screw that one up.  Especially when Bekah and I got back together many months later.  

The whole Jessica/Rachel thing with my dad is pretty funny.  I think he went about three years where he never called a single girlfriend of mine the right name.  It was not always accidental but he did it even when he tried not to.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Next time your buddy introduces a girl to you, before you get her name say "you must be Sarah, Ive heard so much about you"....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Great recovery!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top