Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 7:40:07 PM EDT
I don't know if this is a dupe.  I saw this on T.V while at the bar a little while ago.

Crippled Jet Lands Safely at L.A. Airport By GILLIAN FLACCUS, Associated Press Writer
24 minutes ago

A JetBlue airliner with faulty landing gear touched down safely Wednesday at Los Angeles International Airport after circling the region for three hours with its front wheels turned sideways, unable to be retracted into the plane.

The pilot landed on the back wheels, then eased onto the front tires, which shot flames along the runway before tearing off. The metal landing gear scraped for the final yards as the plane came to a stop.

Within minutes of landing, the plane's door was opened and the 140 passengers walked down a stairway with their luggage and onto the tarmac, where buses waited.

"We all cheered. I was bawling. I cried so much," said Christine Lund, 25.

Zachary Mascoon said it was surreal to watch the emergency unfold on news coverage on a television inside the plane. At one point, he said, he tried to call his family, but his cell phone call wouldn't go through.

"I wanted to call my dad to tell him I'm alive so far," the 27-year-old musician said.

He praised the flight crew's professionalism and how calmly they handled the emergency.

The plane landed at an auxiliary runway where fire trucks and emergency crews had massed to help. No injuries were immediately reported among the passengers and six crew members, fire officials said.

"It was a very, very smooth landing. The pilot did an outstanding job," said fire Battalion Chief Lou Roupoli. "There was a big hallelujah and a lot of clapping on that aircraft."

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the incident, NTSB spokesman Paul Schlamm said.

JetBlue flight 292 had left Bob Hope Airport in Burbank at 3:17 p.m. for New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, said JetBlue spokesman Bryan Baldwin.

The Airbus A320 first circled the Long Beach Airport, about 30 miles south of Burbank, then was cleared to land at Los Angeles International Airport. It stayed aloft to burn off fuel and lighten its weight, said Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Donn Walker.

The plane landed at 6:19 p.m. Some passengers shook hands with emergency workers as they walked off the plane. Others talked on their cell phones and waved to cameras. One firefighter carrying a boy across the tarmac put his helmet on the child's head.

JetBlue, based in Forest Hills, N.Y., is a five-year-old low-fare airline with 286 flights a day and destinations in 13 states and the Caribbean. It operates a fleet of 81 A320s.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're not posting 15 seconds after something happens, you can be 99% sure you're posting a dupe, which you are.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Just goes to show what happens when you buy an AIRBUS instead of a Boeing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry i can't sit on my computer 24 hours a day and follow this site and see everything everyone types.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sorry i can't sit on my computer 24 hours a day and follow this site and see everything everyone types.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Laziness is not an excuse.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Why not?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry i will try and be more dedicated to this site. And maybe one day i can break my own news story here first before anyone else.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry i will try and be more dedicated to this site. And maybe one day i can break my own news story here first before anyone else.

The worst of Gods creatures, a lazy troll.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just goes to show what happens when you buy an AIRBUS instead of a Boeing.

Wow, sounds like a problem back in 1994. www.iht.com/articles/1994/01/29/airbus_2.php

The A-330 and its four-engined, long-range sister, the A-340, are equipped with the same main landing gear, built by Dowty Aerospace in Canada and England.
The A-320's landing gear comes from the same firm, too. I hope Boeing isn't using them!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The worst of Gods creatures, a lazy troll.

Thats MR. TROLL to you buddy.  I like to be treated with some respect
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Come on guys, he did get us pics without rex xes.  That has to count for something.  At least it shows he has potential...  Can we keep him?  He can probably be housetrained.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Come on guys, he did get us pics without rex xes.  That has to count for something.  At least it shows he has potential...  Can we keep him?  He can probably be housetrained.  

but he's from friggen Joisey
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but we need some spies.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So is that a yes???? Can i stay???? PLEASE
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well, we will see... You might be a Spy for Them...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I come with gift:

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

we'll have to see what the team goat says when you buy your membership
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:02:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey cut him some slack, he saw it on the bar tv and was still able to make the posting.  Some guys here can't make a post when sober.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#20]

That's not me I have a beard..

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#21]
dupe dude.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top