Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 6:40:55 PM EDT
Just had a friend drop off some Romeo Y Julieta Cigars as payment for a favor. How do should store them? Are they a good brand?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The Presidential Cigar Storage Box:

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't put 'em in the fridge.  Keep 'em in a place that stays below 75* and around 65% humidity.  

If you're not a regular cigar smoker then I would find a tupperware "dish/bowl/whatever" and put a shot glass full of distilled water in there.  This is not a permanent solution but it should suffice for a box.

Do you know the specific Romeo y Julietas they are?

ETA: Don't pour the water onto the cigars.....stand the shot glass up so that it provides a moist environment in the tupperware.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't put 'em in the fridge.  Keep 'em in a place that stays below 75* and around 65% humidity.  

If you're not a regular cigar smoker then I would find a tupperware "dish/bowl/whatever" and put a shot glass full of distilled water in there.  This is not a permanent solution but it should suffice.

+1 tupperware w/ some distilled water should work fine, and yes, RyJ's are good

Speed
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
You may consider a proper Cigar Humidor.
A small wood box designed to store/preserve cigars.
Protect Your Investment
See the links below for more information.

http://www.tampahumidor.com/

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/

myit
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
They are good cigars for sure, they used to be hand made Cuban cigars, but I'm not sure if they still are. The problem with cigars, -even some of the best hand made cigars- is that they often vary in taste from excellent to awful, especially if they were stored improperly. Storage is pramount to a keeping a good cigar fresh.

Ultimately you want to store them in a humidor.

ETA: Long time Te-Amo Meditation and Presidente smoker here.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I use one of those small lunchbox sized ice chests, and it works great.  I bought one of those humidity can thingies at the cigar store to put in it ($5).

Romeo Y Julieta's are a good brand.  Some of their aged cigars are very nice.  Like wine, a lot of it is personal taste.  A bad cigar is just a bad cigar.  One that you think is great, somebody else will call just good and vice versa.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
not very good cigars, you should give them to me for proper disposal.

seriously, get yourself a humidor.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 to tupperware & shot glass. 50-100 cigar humidor w/ a basic distilled water humidifier and a digital hygrometer if you want to keep them and start buying more cigars.  This shouldn't set you back more than one or two hundred for a quality box & equipment.

Your Romeo Y Julietta's could be anything from crap to spectacular.  They could be Cuban, Dominican or a crappy knock off.  What's the box say the 'make & model' of the cigars are and what is the country of origin?

EDIT:  I've got ONE cigar in my humidor and it isn't even mine!    I'm just cycling this previously poor dried out stick for a friend of mine.  Haven't had the cash to smoke good cigars for a while now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Get some of the green stuff they use at florists, can't remember the name for it now.  Use that for hydration rather than using a shot glass of water or whatnot.  The green stuff is like foam, holds water very well.

Use a Rubbermaid container of appropriate size.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#10]
If you even remotely like cigars, go and buy a small humidor.  It's well worth the money and assists in protecting your investments.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you even remotely like cigars, go and buy a small humidor.  It's well worth the money and assists in protecting your investments.

Ditto.  BTW, it's a great hobby.  I started out with a 100 count humidor and have since added a 600 count humidor and finally got a large Coleman cooler to hold my boxes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
+1 to tupperware & shot glass. 50-100 cigar humidor w/ a basic distilled water humidifier and a digital hygrometer if you want to keep them and start buying more cigars.  This shouldn't set you back more than one or two hundred for a quality box & equipment.

Your Romeo Y Julietta's could be anything from crap to spectacular.  They could be Cuban, Dominican or a crappy knock off.  What's the box say the 'make & model' of the cigars are and what is the country of origin?

EDIT:  I've got ONE cigar in my humidor and it isn't even mine!    I'm just cycling this previously poor dried out stick for a friend of mine.  Haven't had the cash to smoke good cigars for a while now.

The wrapper is Gold & Red and says Habana under Romeo Y Julieta. The middle of the wrapper says Rodriguez Arguelles y C. I don't have a box.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto.  BTW, it's a great hobby.  I started out with a 100 count humidor and have since added a 600 count humidor and finally got a large Coleman cooler to hold my boxes.

Right now I only have about seven or eight in my humidor.  Nothing beats being able to just go to it and pick one out any time you feel like having a good smoke.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I have three handcrafted humidors and one "tupperdore".  The tupperdore keeps the cigars every bit as good as the expensive boxes.

I use green plant foam inside of a "snack size" glad container as the humidification device.   The tupperdore is 12" long by 4" wide by 4" deep.

In a pinch, you can get a gallon size zip lock back to keep the cigars in.  Moisten a paper towel but don't let it touch the cigars.

I stopped using distilled water a couple of years ago.  Tap water works fine (unless you have crappy water).
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#15]
You don't store them.

You smoke them.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The wrapper is Gold & Red and says Habana under Romeo Y Julieta. The middle of the wrapper says Rodriguez Arguelles y C. I don't have a box.

I remember there being an excellent article over at Cigar Aficinado with lots of comparative pictures showing several brands of famous Cuban & otherwise brands and comparative pix of the fakes that are out there.  Frankly, though, Cohiba is probably the most faked.  If your buddy didn't get them at a 7-11 or from some back lot dealer south of the border I'd just be inclined to think they're real.

Ofcourse I've smoked a few fakes that were actually alright and I've smoked some highly thought of/expensive cigars that I hated.  /shrug

EDIT:
Ah.  Here is the counterfeit gallery.  Romeo y Julietta's are listed with genuine and fake examples.

EDIT2: Also on that site, if you measure the cigars length and can figure out their ring size (diameter) you might be able to see the CA rating on their Cigar Ratings section.  It's pretty extensive.  Really good site, good magazine too but I just wanted to know about cigars, not which car Tom Selleck is driving this year.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like a cuban

where's the ATF guy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top