Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 6:11:46 PM EDT
Does anyone else feel like a loser when helping their kids with their homework?

Daughter's problem:

If the coeffient of Friction is .023 what is the force of friction of a 20 Kg object?

Patty
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
No.

You need to do your own homework patty.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#2]
When my kids come to me with problems like this I tell them to think UNITS.  Nothing but UNITS.  Know the UNITS of the numbers in the problems.  Know the UNITS of the answer and go from there.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When my kids come to me with problems like this I tell them to think UNITS.  Nothing but UNITS.  Know the UNITS of the numbers in the problems.  Know the UNITS of the answer and go from there.  

Yea yea just give me the damn answer and pour me a drink, scotch n soda please.    Patty
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
you need physics help.  I've increasing found that just because i've taken all those physics and calc classes, i dont seem to remember any of it.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]
My hazy recollection:

F = Ma

The force pushing down on the object is (20 KG) * (9.8 m/s^2) = 196 Newtons

Pull the object at a right angle to the gravity vector, so

196 N * .023 = 4.5 N

Make a free body diagram and it's pretty clear.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea yea just give me the damn answer and pour me a drink, scotch n soda please.    Patty

Coefficient of friction = Force of friction / normal force

/ means divided by
normal force (N) is the object's weight in Newtons (NOT kilograms)  (hint: F=MA, Force=Mass*Accel, Normal force=Mass*Gravity)

Simple algebra allows you to rearrange and solve for Force of friction.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My hazy recollection:

F = Ma

196 N * .023 = 4.5 N

Show off.

Patty needed a drink when she was trying to get the answer.  I didn't need one until I read this post.  Now my brain hurts.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Give a man a fish today and he will be hungry tomorrow.  Teach a man to fish and he will never go hungry."  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I like fig newtons.

And Pie.

But I'll settle for Oreos and milk ... mmmmmm double stuffed oreos......
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Daughter's problem:

If the coeffient of Friction is .023 what is the force of friction of a 20 Kg object?

Patty

97?  5 billion 2 hundred and 10? Pie?  .46 kg?  7000 grains?  2 deciliters?  1/5 of Jack Daniels?

What does the magic 8 ball say?  

Edit: If it's multiple choice guess "C".
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#11]
If the object is on a level surface.  It is on the earth where gravity, g=9.81m/s^2

There is kinetic friction and static friction.  Kinetic is when the object is moving, static is before the object starts to slide.  Static will ALWAYS be higher than Kinetic.  Coefficent of Friction is the greek letter mu.  

Frictional Force=Normal Force*Coefficent of Friction.  The Normal Force is the Mass of the Object(kg)*gravity.

Frictional Force=Mass*g*Coefficent of Friction  

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If the object is on a level surface.  It is on the earth where gravity, g=9.81m/s^2

There is kinetic friction and static friction.  Kinetic is when the object is moving, static is before the object starts to slide.  Static will ALWAYS be higher than Kinetic.  Coefficent of Friction is the greek letter mu.  

Frictional Force=Normal Force*Coefficent of Friction.  The Normal Force is the Mass of the Object(kg)*gravity.

Frictional Force=Mass*g*Coefficent of Friction  

Althought I just researched the answer and had no knowledge of it prior to this thread... I will agree with CSM based on what I have read in a the last few minutes.

see also:

Wikipedia on Friction

Determining the Coefficient of Friction
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My hazy recollection:

F = Ma

196 N * .023 = 4.5 N

Show off.

Patty needed a drink when she was trying to get the answer.  I didn't need one until I read this post.  Now my brain hurts.

M_M you're too funny!

OKay let me see if I can figure this out.  Hang on - let me get the daughter.  Patty
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Althought I just researched the answer and had no knowledge of it prior to this thread... I will agree with CSM based on what I have read in a the last few minutes.

You ever doubted me?  tsk. tsk. tsk.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Daughter's problem:

Patty

97?  5 billion 2 hundred and 10? Pie?  .46 kg?  7000 grains?  2 deciliters?  1/5 of Jack Daniels?

What does the magic 8 ball say?  

Edit: If it's multiple choice guess "C".

Patty
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Your daughter's gotta be in college because I'm in the highest level of physics offered in most American high schools and the only thing we've been taught about friction is "ignore it for now."
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My hazy recollection:

F = Ma

196 N * .023 = 4.5 N

You are quoting the acceleration of a freeing falling body.  32 feet per second squared or 9.8 meters per secomd squared  is that the correct application for this question?

I know nothing about this stuff...I'm just asking the question.    
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My hazy recollection:

F = Ma

196 N * .023 = 4.5 N

You are quoting the acceleration of a freeing falling body.  32 feet per second squared or 9.8 meters per secomd squared  is that the correct application for this question?

I know nothing about this stuff...I'm just asking the question.    

everything is always under accelleration from gravity.  yes it is the correct way.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Your daughter's gotta be in college because I'm in the highest level of physics offered in most American high schools and the only thing we've been taught about friction is "ignore it for now."

My daughter's a freshman in high school and this is for her physical science class.  I put Math problem because my feeble brain is able to do most equations IF given a formula.  

I got my degree in History.  They never come to me with a history problem.  

Patty
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Frictional force = mu times the normal force.

Mu = coeff of friction = 0.023   Note it has no units

Normal force is the mass of the object assuming it's sitting flat on the surface times gravity

FF = .023 x 20 kg x 9.807 m/s2

Bomber

ETA "G"

Been a long time since I took Statics
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

OMG!!!

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You ever doubted me?  tsk. tsk. tsk.  

Ff=mu*F_normal.

This means the frictional force is equal to the coefficient of friction, denoted by lower case the greek letter mu, times the normal force. The normal force is always the force perpendicular to the surface. Think of it in terms of Newton's Third Law, every action has a reaction both equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. So if the block is sitting on a plane surface, and the mass of the block is 20kg, then the weight( a force quantity) is w=m*g, or 20kg*-9.8 m/s/s, which is about 196 Newtons. Now if there is a force of -196 newtons applied to the surface, but nothing is in motion, then the system is in equilibrium. This means that there must be an equal force of +196 Newtons acting upon the block by the surface, think of this as the normal force. It is a vector(a magnitude and direction) drawn perpendicular to the surface.

Sooooooo, this 196 Newtons is what we are interested in. In order for the block to move you need to overcome the frictional force, which we dont know, but we do know both elements required to calculate it, the coefficient of friction, and the normal force on the block. So all we have to do is multiply them. Ff= mu*Fn, or (.023)*(196Newtons). Notice that the coefficient of friction is a unitless quantity leaving us with a static frictional force of 4.508 Newtons, that must be over come before the object can move.

I can draw pictures or a free-body diagram if you require it.

It's more interesting if its on a slope.

It isn't required but if its not too much trouble I would like to see it.  I'm pretty visual.  Patty
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:01:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It isn't required but if its not too much trouble I would like to see it.  I'm pretty visual.  Patty

very well.

colonelklink.zerohold.net/diagrams/freebody.gif

That's about the size of it. I wish I had a dollar for every FBD I've drawn .

It's more interesting if its on a slope

Yea then you have to pull out some trig to determine the component of force applied

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:11:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you serious? Jeeze, what the hell are they teaching kids these days.

Yeah no kidding.  I had friction lessons in high school.  9th grade I think.

You guys still learning about square Earths and using slide rules too?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

very well.

colonelklink.zerohold.net/diagrams/freebody.gif

That's awesome.  Thank you very much.  

Patty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top