Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 5:44:37 PM EDT
SUCKS!

OK..I have a bad tooth that needs to come out. I can't eat anything cold, hot, or crunchy without having some awful pain. But, I can't go to the dentist until the 1st when I get paid. (It's Bush's fault I'm poor)

Anyway, what can I use for the pain other than ibuprofin? I heard tea bags work (ok wise guys.. Not THAT kind of tea bag)...

What else works? Seems a tea bag would give you a terrible buzz with the caffiene (sp) and taste like poo... I don't have any oil of cloves, just the cloves you put in a ham on Easter..

I could always save the $150-$200 on getting it pulled and do it myself with copious quantities of Jack Daniels and a pair of vice grips..
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I could always save the $150-$200 on getting it pulled and do it myself with copious quantities of Jack Daniels and a pair of vice grips..  

But if you break a root tip then you're SOL.

I'll give you a hint about dentists. If it's that bad, you can usually get scheduled and have the procedure done without talking about how you're going to pay for it. When you're walking out, tell the front office you get paid in two weeks and you'll send the check then. Or, just tell them the truth. Either way, you shouldn't have to be in pain for so long.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll never understand why dentistry is so expensive!

I think the problem is, I have an exposed root. A filling popped out and I ignored it. It went downhill from there...

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
They do have 24 hour emergency dentists.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#5]
As a general rule, for an otherwise healthy adult, take 800 mg ibuprofen, and 1000mg tylenol every 6 hours.  Excellent combo, very effective.

There is a product called dent temp in most decent drug stores which has eugenol in it, put it in the cavity like a temporary filling, works well to relieve the pain.

Tea bags are useless, you are confusing it with tea bags for stopping bleeding (tannic acid can help to form a clot quicker)

do NOT put any pill type medication directly onto the tissues surrounding the tooth, you can cause chemical burns.

pay the dentist with a credit card if you have no other choice, and pay the CC next month, in full, or ask for a two or three payment installment plan (give them 2 or three post dated checks)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Four years of medical school is a factor!

The main reason is that dentists run about 65% overhead on average. That means some are higher. So if they cut their charges down 20%, that translates to a 57% loss on take-home earnings.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Stab yourself in the leg.  The tooth pain will subside.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Im in the same boat, my friggin dentist put a crown on my tooth 6 months ago, now its hurting again, 800mg of ibuprofen every 3 hours seems to help, also if you have an infection find some penicillin to get rid of the infection, this helps out on the pain alot, Ive been where your at 3 times in the last year, ever since I found out I was diabetic my teeth have developed problems. Wish you the best.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Do not wait 10 days. 1. the pain will likely become unbearable. 2. You may develop an abscess and end up with an infection in the bone.

Go to the dentist!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Tooth pain is the worst pain ever... though, this is coming from someone who hasn't been shot, had a baby, had gallstones or had gay sex.

I guess, the least I can do is give you thoughts of things more painful than your tooth.

I once lost a filling, and went around for a month eating on the left side of my mouth trying to figure out why the right side hurt so damn bad.  They filled it again, and it continued hurting.  Finally, after they re-filled it the second time and it wasn't fixed, they determined the tooth was dead inside and the pain was due to the roots dying or something.  I had to get a crown.  It blew ass... crowns are for old people, I've had a crown since I was 17.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I think the problem is, I have an exposed root. A filling popped out and I ignored it. It went downhill from there...

I would think this situation would give you a very good lesson on why dentistry is so expensive.  The dentist has the skills and knowledge to fix your problem.  You have pain that you know will only get worse if the dentist doesn't fix it.

The question should be, why is dentistry so cheap?

Jim
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Tooth pain is the worst pain ever... though, this is coming from someone who hasn't been shot, had a baby, had gallstones or had gay sex.

I guess, the least I can do is give you thoughts of things more painful than your tooth.

I once lost a filling, and went around for a month eating on the left side of my mouth trying to figure out why the right side hurt so damn bad.  They filled it again, and it continued hurting.  Finally, after they re-filled it the second time and it wasn't fixed, they determined the tooth was dead inside and the pain was due to the roots dying or something.  I had to get a crown.  It blew ass... crowns are for old people, I've had a crown since I was 17.

Two crowns here, since I was about 17.  I had two extremely sensitive teeth--second from the back, top, either side.  Everything set them off.  Sugar.  Acid.  Hot.  Cold.  Breathing.

I think the dentist thought I was exaggerating, because the X-rays showed no problems in those teeth at all.  He said the only option I had was root canals and crowns.  I'm pretty sure he though that the idea of a root canal would make me admit the pain wasn't that bad, but when he suggested that I just asked "How soon can we schedule them?"

Having nerves in teeth is stupid.  Having only a single set of adult teeth is stupid.  Give me nerveless teeth that fall out every five years when new ones come in!

Jim
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Do not wait 10 days. 1. the pain will likely become unbearable. 2. You may develop an abscess and end up with an infection in the bone.

Go to the dentist!

I have to wait till the 1st.. No dinero.. Had a few unexpected expenses this month and I be broke. Thanks everyone for the advice.. No infection yet. Just pain from the root being exposed I guess.

Back to the ibuprofin...I have some percosets from my doctor for back pain that I take maybe 1 per year. They expired in late 2004. If it gets real bad, I'll just take one of those and we'll be seeing ya'll about Tuesday of next week
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Just go to the dentist and tell him your problems.  Make a deal to pay later.  Don't wait...you will just make things worse.

Edited to ad this guy...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top