Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 4:11:08 PM EDT
Everytime I clean one of my rifles it takes over an hour.  I get into every nook and cranny I can get a Qtip into until everything comes out clean.  Even if I just shoot a clip MAG or two while at the range it gets stripped down and wiped completely.  I can't just put it away dirty.  Am i over doing it?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
same here and my wife even says so
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]
what is this "clean" that you speak of?      

10,000 rounds and counting...

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Whenever I go shooting with my Father I always make sure my weapons are absolutely freaking spotless the night before. He loves to give me grief about every little spec of grime he finds on them

It must be a ex combat Marine thing-he is absolutely over the top insane when it comes to pristine weapons. Ironically, after we shoot I usually get forced to clean his damned guns too-he says I need the practice.

He's a stubborn, opinionated SOB-but I wouldn't have it any other way
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Theres clean then theres army CLEAN. After i got back from benning i was disgusted with the filth in my weapons. I went out bought the biggest bag of q tips and pipe cleaners i could find and spent countless hours cleaning. Now i have 8 rifles and bring them all to my range outings. It takes me days to clean em all.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]

I can easily spend an hour on a 1911....most of it is on the bore. Slide, extractor, extractor tube, etc is all pretty easy and takes maybe 15-20 minutes with q-tips and patches and elbow grease, but the bore...More than once I've gone through at least one brush per cleaning session
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm waiting for the "you'll do more damage by overcleaning" replies. Personally, I have no opinion on the matter :)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep reading about over cleaning so i've been trying very very hard to control myself and not go OCD on my rifle
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Everytime I clean one of my rifles it takes over an hour.  I get into every nook and cranny I can get a Qtip into until everything comes out clean.  Even if I just shoot a clip or two while at the range it gets stripped down and wiped completely.  I can't just put it away dirty.  Am i over doing it?

You have a Garand, or what?

Clip, get it?

Danny
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm waiting for the "you'll do more damage by overcleaning" replies. Personally, I have no opinion on the matter :)

I've had a few garands that needed new barrels because the muzzle ends were destroyed due to overcleaning. It's a shame because they had decent throats...  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Funny, cleaning my guns is one of the few things I dont' get OCD about. Probably why I mainly shoot guns that have chrome lined barrels.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Had a professional gun smith do an excellent presentation at a seminar about cleaning and showed several barrels that had been cut length-wise to show the interior in detail.  Yes, you can do damage to the barrel by using certain over-zealous cleaning methods.  Stay away from the super duper detergents, they can strip the finish right off.  Stainless brushes are an absolute no-no.  And if you must with a copper brush be careful and gentle. Always clean all the chemicals out afterwards with some good degreaser/gun scrubber.  Then dry patch the rest out.

Others will disagree with leaving a barrel dry but there are reasons for that too.

BTW: If your wondering Charles Milazzo was the gun smith and I'm sure several will attest to his expertise.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, I got OCD about cleaning guns. I dont stop hosing them with the garden hose until everything is wet. I cant stop. Then, when I get it all sprayed down, Im fine again.

Weird
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#13]
No I actuall do have OCD!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No I actuall do have OCD!

Wana vacume my house?  You know you do...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#15]
and before somebody asks:
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top