Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 3:21:33 PM EDT
About freakin time !

Link to SAF site and article

http://www.saf.org/viewpr.asp?id=161

For Immediate Release:   9/22/2005

BATON ROUGE, LA (Sept. 22) – The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) and National Rifle Association (NRA) joined with individual gun owners in Louisiana Thursday morning, filing a motion in United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana seeking a temporary restraining order to stop authorities in and around the City of New Orleans from seizing firearms from private citizens in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Arbitrary gun seizures, without warrant or probable cause, have been reported during the past three weeks since the Crescent City was devastated by the hurricane. In cases reported to SAF, police refused to give citizens receipts for their seized firearms. Earlier, SAF insisted that police account for all seized firearms, disclose their whereabouts, and explain how they will be returned to their rightful owners. Authorities have not responded.

Gun confiscations have been highly publicized since the New York Times quoted New Orleans Police Superintendent P. Edwin Compass III, who said, “Only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons,” and ABC News quoted Deputy Police Chief Warren Riley stating, “No one will be able to be armed. We are going to take all the weapons.”

For example, a San Francisco, CA camera crew from KTVU filmed one incident in which visiting California Highway Patrol officers tackled an elderly woman identified as Patricia Konie, to seize her pistol and forcibly remove her from her home. An ABC news crew accompanying an Oklahoma National Guard unit filmed another incident in which homeowners were handcuffed and disarmed, then released but without their firearms.

“We are delighted to work jointly with the NRA in an effort to bring these outrageous gun seizures to a halt,” said SAF founder Alan M. Gottlieb. “Our inquiries about these confiscations were cavalierly ignored, as were our demands for a public explanation from the police and city officials about why citizens were being unlawfully disarmed, leaving them defenseless against lingering bands of looters and thugs.

“New Orleans officials left us with no recourse,” Gottlieb observed. “It was bad enough that Big Easy residents were victims of the worst natural disaster in the nation’s history. That they would be subsequently victimized by their own local government, taking their personal property without warrant, is unconscionable. These illegal gun seizures must be stopped, now.”

The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nation’s oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 600,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control.

The Second Amendment Foundation is the nation’s oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 600,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control. SAF has previously funded successful firearms-related suits against the cities of Los Angeles; New Haven, CT; and San Francisco on behalf of American gun owners, a lawsuit against the cities suing gun makers & an amicus brief & fund for the Emerson case holding the Second Amendment as an individual right.

-END-
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT for NRA bashing cheapskates that contribute nothing towards the 2nd Amendment other than their personal stash of 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm happy to see that they got the ball rolling. It takes time to put together a cohesive complaint and file it appropriately.

So, where are all the NRA bashers now?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuggin' A, about time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#4]
They need to keep this on the front burner and spend whatever it takes for a complete and total victory in this case. A precedent needs to be set as to what happens to municipalities when they fuck with the RKBA of law abiding, decent people defending their homes from looters and other criminals.

I'm a proud newbie NRA member BTW. This nonsense is what pushed me over the top to finally join.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#5]
free bump because it needs it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#6]
They will be along I am sure...........Glad to see them in court...........It is also nice to see  2 Pro-Gun groups get together on this...............The more groups and  "people" we get the better for our side!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]
holy crap  . . . . is elvis still alive ?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#8]
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[jackass]What has the NRA done for me?!?! I'm quitting the NRA because they sit on their ass[/jackass]

Get some, LaPierre!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#9]
This is part of what is called "due process"  makes a lot  more sense than bleeding out in front of your children, doesn't it?

But I guess some here think they need to bleed out instead, at least that's what they say they will do.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#10]
It sounded from the article that they were more concerned with the lack of reciepts and time frame for when the guns will be returned rather than with the actual confiscations.

If the NRA is really committed to this and sees it through, I'll modify my opinion of them.  I won't buy a membership until they change their stance on the second Amendment.  

And not just what they say their stance is.  They can say they're 2A absolutists until they're blue in the face, but their record on the issue says differently.  I guarantee they'll never fight against the National Firearms Act.  Nor even the 86 amendment banning civilian ownership of post 86 MGs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#11]
So what has G.O.A. been doing lately?

Problely writing some nasty letters....again

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Hm. my internet is screwed. scuse the double post.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#13]
While this is good news, I see no mention of the NRA/SAF "sueing" the city of New Orleans... only a mention
of a "temporary restraining order" (better late than never I suppose).
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#14]
FINALY a move in the right direction- ooh raa
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
While this is good news, I see no mention of the NRA/SAF "sueing" the city of New Orleans... only a mention
of a "temporary restraining order" (better late than never I suppose).

That is often the first step in a lawsuit and the suit has to be filed in order in order for a judge to hold hearings on a temporary restraining order request by the plantiff.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Temp restraining order?  Give me a fucking break.  

My membership will still end unless they take file a civil rights lawsuit against the mayor, chief and the city.

They're on the right track.  let's see if they can follow through.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
OK, this makes me want to join now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#18]
A precedent needs to be set as to what happens to municipalities when they fuck with the RKBA of law abiding, decent people defending their homes from looters and other criminals.

+1   What is the provision in law when a person is deprived of civil rights "under color of law", what is the penalty?  Is there jail time for such action?  There should be.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Shameless plug...

Save $10 on annual membership by purchasing thru me...

NRA instructor, recruiter and EVC...

Link to website - look for JOIN HERE logo
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A precedent needs to be set as to what happens to municipalities when they fuck with the RKBA of law abiding, decent people defending their homes from looters and other criminals.

+1   What is the provision in law when a person is deprived of civil rights "under color of law", what is the penalty?  Is there jail time for such action?  There should be.

I think, since it's a civil suit, vs. a criminal suit, only a monetary award can be gained. You can sue the city for $$$, but you can't put it in jail.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Kind of a day late and a dollar short.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank god NRA and SAF have the crust to act. If we left this up to the NRA bashers all we'd get would be whining, bashing and excuses.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Question. What kind of precedent can this set if they can get a court to say the 2nd is a personal right, etc.?

Any chance for a SCOTUS ruling if this goes far enough?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like they will probably get thier restraining order and the popo man will have to hand out a reciept before they can take your gun.

I'm so relieved now.

Where's my fucking Koolaid.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Heh...

I just sent $1000 to the NRA. They guy on the phone ask me my reason and I told him “Katrina relief.”

He actually got it and laughed.

I really like the NRA when they get up off their ass.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Remember how we always wonder if this case or that incident is the "right" case to act on?  You know pick your battles?  There are not a lot of cases that don't have baggage.  This is it.

This is as good as any case to further the 2a.  Pick this battle and throw all the money at it they can.  Its great PR, and they should strike while the Media is focused on Katrina.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shameless plug...

Save $10 on annual membership by purchasing thru me...

NRA instructor, recruiter and EVC...

Link to website - look for JOIN HERE logo

Just joined using this link. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

total b.s.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#29]

It's about damn time is RIGHT!

Quoted:
Remember how we always wonder if this case or that incident is the "right" case to act on?  You know pick your battles?  There are not a lot of cases that don't have baggage.  This is it.

This is as good as any case to further the 2a.  Pick this battle and throw all the money at it they can.  Its great PR, and they should strike while the Media is focused on Katrina.

Stevens, Ginsberg, Bryer, Kennedy and Souter say "bring it on!"

Be careful what you ask for.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Very good, my whopping $70 re-up was well spent.  I'm going to see if I can squeeze another $20 for the other group tomorrow night.  Money's tight right now, but I'll kick in a little.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I am just wondering what percentage
of those Firearms "confiscated" will
actually be returned?
And the highest Officials to the
Cop on the street, whom were
involved in this "cofiscation"
decree/activity, should be sued
individually for their actions.
If you can't beat 'em, bankrupt 'em.

myit
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Well since you are a member you should get more like minded folks like you to join so it will reflect your opinion better.

Sucks being a member and having many gun owning friends who think like you do but they just sit there and expect you to pull for them doesnt it?

Get them to join and make a difference.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Should they have been kneejerk reactionaries like Sharpton, Kanye and Jackson? They look pretty stupid don't they.
ETA: I'm reupping my NRA membership with this news
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:06:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top