Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 2:23:29 PM EDT
I am logging on from my daughters computer right now. my main comp is has quite a few problems.it all started when i got messages say some files were missing. Mostly DLL's. then occasionally the it would it would make a clicking sound like it was shutting of and on quickly. I got tired of the messages and  did a clean istall of XP.it work for a aday and then I donloaded acrobat and it all went to hell after the install. So i try installing Xp again. Now when it gets to the format phase it locks up when installing the DLL's. I look in the bios and my hD is not recongnized now.

Any ideas on whats going on? I don't want to buy a HD and find out its something else.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
If the HDD is "clicking" get your data off it NOW!!! It's going down hill and will need to be replaced.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Go here and download an image of the ultimate boot cd.

Run the utility for the brand of drive you have.  If the drive comes back good there tools to check the memory too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#3]
It's bad. Buy another one. I have a drive sitting right here that passes all the tests but is a paper weight because it corrupts after a few days. Yours wouldn't happen to be an IBM would it?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#4]
sounds like the HD is dying.

In my experience as an IT person (hundreds of pc's), a computer with a decent amount of daily use can expect about 3 to 4 years from a typical HD. If you get more, good for you.

Back up your important data NOW.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#5]
You will have boot up problems, and eventually not boot up at all.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Western digital.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]
The most I have ever been able to get out of a HDD is 4 years.  And that was with a WD.  Get as much information as you can off of it and put it on a new one.  I recommend Western Digital.  They are the largest and most reliable (not saying much, but meh...) company out there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine keeps locking up.  First it will stay on for 10 minutes before it locks up.  Then it will lock up when windows loads up.  I've had it for about 3 or 4 years.  I've been using my laptop for a while now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Does it smell sour?

When you touch it is it slightly slimy?

Is it a western digital?

If the answer to any of the above is YES, then it is bad.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I missed the clicking noises initially.  I'd say replace it.  New hard drives are just damn cheap these days anyways.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Updat: i don'tthink its the hd but the HD controller?? I took the HD out and installed it in the comp I am using now. It seems to work fine.I can write to it and it has a copy of windows on it. HD controller where would that be?? the message i got says to scan for viruses and remove recently installed hd or controllers.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#12]
HD controller is a chip on the motherboard.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Funny, the HDD in my Dell laptop made loud click sounds from the day I bought it (Dec. 2001).  Still works great to this day.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Funny, the HDD in my Dell laptop made loud click sounds from the day I bought it (Dec. 2001).  Still works great to this day.

different kind of click.  the click that we are referring to is the sound of the read head smacking back and forth.  An even better should is when you start hearing chirps and something that sounds like a laser.  When you hear those you really know that you are in for some fun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:53:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Tagged

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:09:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

different kind of click.  the click that we are referring to is the sound of the read head smacking back and forth.  An even better should is when you start hearing chirps and something that sounds like a laser.  When you hear those you really know that you are in for some fun.

Uh, What does a laser sound like?  None of the lasers I own make any noise.  Maybe your CD drive is going bad.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:12:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I think I smell a power supply starting to fail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top