Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 1:57:08 PM EDT
Any home theater nuts out there? I'm in the market to replace my 7 year old Harmon Kardon A/V reciever. I'm thinking the Onkyo TX-NR901, any opinions?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It used to be one of those big Onkyo combo units, amp and tuner, for just under your goal. $999.00.
Not sure now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Denon AVR-3805/3806
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had many different brands in the past, including Denon, Nakamichi, Onkyo, Pioneer.

I like Outlaw Audio products better than all of them, they are definitely worth looking into:

www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Pioneer Elite series...

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I like harman/kardon receivers a lot. I'm still running an old AVR20 II.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the higher end models in that price range from:

harman/kardon
Denon
Onkyo
Marantz
NAD

Yamaha's are pretty nice too, but I find them to be a bit bright sounding.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah, I forgot about Outlaw, they have received very good reviews. I don't like Pioneer's normal line, but the Elite stuff seems pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Onkyo is gooooood stuff.  they run forever.  Try and pick up a 6 channel unit though.

Denon is really good if you're a tech wiz...most of their components have capabilities that are beyond the reach of current technology...such as 7 or 8 or 9 channel capability when movies are just now being recorded in 6.1

Of course you could stick with Harmon Kardon...good stuff, but they offer many of the same options available in an Onkyo unit for a couple hundred bucks more.  You pay for name recognition (JMHO).
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I like my Rotel 1056.  It's conservatively rated and will likely put out nearly 100 watts per channel, all channels driven.  It's been reliable so far (a year plus)

I bought mine for $1400 out the door.

www.rotel.com/products/specs/rsx1056.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top