Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2001 11:20:33 AM EDT
[url]http://www.washtimes.com/national/20010720-4538416.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Now I'm an occasional church going man and feel that having a law that forbids prayer meetings in homes is obviously unconstitutional. They should just use existing nuisance laws for this.

If this were on my street and a neighbor had a meeting with 20-40 cars parked on the every week I would be pretty pissed off too.

Once a month maybe...every week, I don't think so!
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
In this day and age when there are crimes happening every 2 minutes, we have pointy headed judges, police captains, and do-gooders in general woried about 20 cars belonging to hard working, taxpaying, God fearing citizens parked on a PUBLIC street. My next door neighbor has a Bible study at his house practically every Sunday night and cars park all up & down my street, I promise you it doesn't bother me in the least or anyone else for that matter. If you are so bored and so concerned about something as trivial as this then you need to lose your Gladys Cravitz personlity & get a life of your own. Any judge, policeman, city council person or other "public official" thinks this is a problem probably should be taken out, tied to a stake, and burned. 1/2 mile from where I work there are crack dealers, prostitutes, and winos hanging out at the same spot every day. As I drive by, (with a Sig Sauer loaded w/ hollow points at my easy reach) day after day I witness money changing hands for plastic bags, and prostitutes getting into cars left & right. Needles lay on the side of the street. A new quick-mart opened up and I bet a fellow employee that it would be robbed within the first 45 days, the bet was lunch anywhere in town. Well after the store opened only 3 weeks I was treated to the largest seafood platter you ever saw, and he paid. God help us when such trivial crap as this ties up a broken legal system just because some atheist doesn't like church people getting together in their neighborhood. I guess if was a Greenpeace weekly meeting or Sierra club that would be OK.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah - remember Waco? Is YOUR church ATF approved?
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
qtip,
You might live in a shit neighborhood with rusted out Pontiacs parked on the curb but I do not. I do not live in an apartment complex where one would expect parking to be tough. I live in a house in a fairly quiet neighborhood and when I come home I expect to be able to park in my driveway or in front of my house.

I would also like the occasional visitor to my home to be able to park within a reasonable distance without having to pull out the collapsable bike.

When your weekly church meetings, bbq's, and parties get so large as to take up the streets of the whole neighborhood, maybe it is time to rent out a building or go to a park.

Tolerance and courtesy go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Why? Whats it to you? As long as it was contained to his/her house how is it hurting you? I would have no problem at all. Now, if it was a large noisy party I might want to be invited.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
qtip,
You might live in a shit neighborhood with rusted out Pontiacs parked on the curb but I do not. I do not live in an apartment complex where one would expect parking to be tough. I live in a house in a fairly quiet neighborhood and when I come home I expect to be able to park in my driveway or in front of my house.

I would also like the occasional visitor to my home to be able to park within a reasonable distance without having to pull out the collapsable bike.

When your weekly church meetings, bbq's, and parties get so large as to take up the streets of the whole neighborhood, maybe it is time to rent out a building or go to a park.

Tolerance and courtesy go hand in hand.
View Quote

For your information, the neighborhood I live in does not have rusty Pontiacs at the curbside, most vehicles in my neighborhood are Volvos, Lincolns, Tahoes, Z71's, Maximas, etc.
All the houses are 1800 square feet up to about 3000 square feet. If you had read my post you would see that I was talking about the neighborhood where I WORK has all the crime , not where I live. My point is that the Police and authorities don't do anything about the crime that is so obvious because basically I think they are SCARED to go there and do anything about it. Now you may have someone that is so rude and inconsiderate that they may park and block your driveway, but in the South we have more respect for our fellow man. It would not surprise me at all that this might happen in Kalifornia.
Thank God for the South once again, if it weren't for us voting to keep liberals out of office we would all be living under a comunist regime of Feinstein and the like.
What chaps my rear about this whole discussion is that most people would not like the cars SIMPLY FOR THE FACT THAT IT IS A GROUP OF CHRISTIAN PEOPLE GETTING TOGETHER FOR A LITTLE FELLOWSHIP AND OR BIBLE STUDY. You can't tell me that if it was bunch of Greenpeace weenies or PETA idiots that this would have ever even made it to court in the first place. Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If I came home once a week and had to park a mile from my own house and walk the rest of the way, I would be pretty chapped up.  If I had to hike back to my car in the rain, I would really get steamed.  60 people is not a prayer meeting, its a church service.  I would think that Christians would want to be courteous to their neighbors.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top