Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2005 12:56:40 PM EDT
It looks like Rita is going to hit Galveston.  Why am I doubting that there will be widespread looting and lawlessness there as there was in New Orleans?  Poll coming...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I just betcha, no  way, because of a different population and mentality.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes...but only because of the transplanted criminals from New Orleans.

And they will be dealt with much more severely by Texans.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
are you kidding? Even back in the wild west days Texas had law. Maybe in the project neighborhoods some shit might be bad, but overall I think they should be better off than NO. The gun owners in TX are only second to AZ
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
There very well may be in areas of Houston.  However, there will be much less of a delay between the time the storm clears and the police can be in all areas to maintain order.  

ALl I know is that if any of the "evacuees" had plans to export their mayhem, they may wish to reconsider.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
lots of dead looters.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The Mayor of Galveston is on top of the situation and in close contact of the State Government. They have already started evacuations and the DPS has already shut down some roads to the area. If anything like NO happens, H**L has already fro0ze over and besides that Texans would not put up with it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]
No, we shoot criminals in perfect weather and the juries say it's OK. If anyone loots during a disaster, they are going to get shot to pieces and thrown into the Gulf.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Texas has strong property rights.  The state’s laws on the application of deadly force protect individual rights, not the criminal’s rights.  Their might be small out breaks of lawlessness, but they will be dealt with severely.    
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't mess with Texas.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
lots of dead looters.

+1

ETA - actually, probably not that many...  once the first few hit the street, the rest will get the message.

Imagine Pavlov with a starter pistol instead of a dinner bell...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm on the southern side of Houston, near Ellington Field. When Allison came thu and stalled we got flooded, my townhomes were surrounded by water, I was stuck here for 4 days. The apts across the street are low rent, well they started coming here and some of us got robbed, Because of that I got an AR. This time I know I will lose everthing if I leave so Im waiting intill friday to see what's gong to happen, I'm on the border of our cat 5 evacuation zone.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd still put money down on there being a steady string of looters... However they would be dealt with accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#13]
There are WAY too many people there who carry guns for that to happen.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I somehow thing very few texans will actually have the will to shoot the looters like in New Orleans.  But I hope they would protect themselves and they're property.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I would definitely assume more looters would be shot if it did occur.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I am hoping the people of TX have more brains and class than the idiots in NOLA
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No, we shoot criminals in perfect weather and the juries say it's OK. If anyone loots during a disaster, they are going to get shot to pieces and thrown into the Gulf.

+1 Lock and load!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I can only imagine that the Texas guys are loading mags right now, getting ready to defend their homes.

Get some.

or getting ready to bug out and not have the law start confiscating their guns
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I can only imagine that the Texas guys are loading mags right now, getting ready to defend their homes.

Get some.

You must be talking to Miss Cleo.

I am in DFW and still have my stuff ready.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#21]
There will be plenty of stories of looting. It won't be as bad as NO because the will be a better ratio of GG to BG. When everyone's supplies get blown away, they will be forced to loot. This assumes that Rita gets a big hit on a heavily populated area.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Get some.

Quit looking in my windows.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm on the southern side of Houston, near Ellington Field. When Allison came thu and stalled we got flooded, my townhomes were surrounded by water, I was stuck here for 4 days. The apts across the street are low rent, well they started coming here and some of us got robbed, Because of that I got an AR. This time I know I will lose everthing if I leave so Im waiting intill friday to see what's gong to happen, I'm on the border of our cat 5 evacuation zone.

Don't forget to load up on batteries and a digicam! If you bag a few looters, you can sell the pics to the media to rebuild your household.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#24]
We'll shoot 'em dead!!

No really, I don't think there will be but mainly because Texas doesn't want to look like complete idiots to the rest of the country or world like Louisiana. First off, we aren't idiots like them, but second we saw what happened over there and the governments on all levels over here are going to perform much better.

Even so........Lock and Load!!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I sense a new thread coming -  Loota Shoota.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I just betcha, no  way, because of a different population and mentality.

Big +++, Most Texans are hard working honest folks, sure there maybe be little looting but NOTHING like the disgrace in NO.  We also have lots of guns, and we won't tolerate that garbage !

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I put this in one of the other threads, I guess it should have gone here.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Of course there will be lawlessness....until the looters are shot dead or flee...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#30]
 Quick! set up a sniper perimeter around the Houston Astrodome! No one gets out alive.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#31]
If there is a game of Cowboys and Looters, my money is definately on the Cowboys.  Good luck Brouhaha, stay safe man.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I doubt it.  A better question would be if they will confiscate guns in the Texas city that is struck.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#33]
there might be at first, but texans know how to deal with looters and theives, real quick like.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#34]
The only bad thing so far is my mother in law is coming from Baytown to stay with us.  

Shit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
There very well may be in areas of Houston.  However, there will be much less of a delay between the time the storm clears and the police can be in all areas to maintain order...

Yes, and no matter how much of the local govs preparedness can be factually documented, if response time in Texas is faster than NOLA, Libtards will cry that the prez is a racist and a money hungry capitolist sparing no expense to save his rich oil drilling buddies. Also, if the majority of Texans are are caucasian, and respone time is quicker, NOLA will become a tremondous racial issue by PC whiners.

Looking at the hurricane spaghetti prediction map, there is one line that tracks Rita into Mexico, just south of the US Mexico border....I really hope it goes there and digs a 11/2 mile wide ditch from coast to coast. Then we'd have a natural answer to our border problem....of course then Mexico would probably blame bush for cutting off their primary route to the US.

Any way this plays out, I think the media will do its best to portray the fedgov as incompetent and turn a quick response( that reasonable people will recognize as experience and responsible preparedness) into a racial issue.

....I don't think there is any right way to do anything anymore because of sensationalist media, I hope that casualties and lawlessness are minimal, and that this one shows that people can actually be their best in times of tragedy and disaster.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#36]
you guys are missing the bigger question.

What will JohninAustin do?

TXL
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#37]
If it hits Houston it might make NO look like a picnic.
Other than that I wouldn't sweat it.

MuRDoC,
You better be preapred to bug the Hell out ASAP if things are looking bad there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I hope not. I'm a bailbondsman, & It will just make my job difficult trying to figute out who I should or shouldn't bond!

I left to go to my parents to pick my son up today & the highway traffic here is awfull because of the evactuations. I live 90 miles north of Houston. They are closing down local schools in nearby towns at noon tomarrow because of the evactuations as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#39]
A lot of gun owners and shooters in Texas.  

Lawless and Looters beware.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Texas, huh?  I predict a massive outbreak of cattle rustlings and stagecoach holdups.  Start loading up those single actions and Winchesters!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#41]
It's perfectly legal to carry a LOADED rifle/shotgun in your vehicle in plain sight and
also to carry it on any street...as long as it is not displayed in a menicing manner.

To the South Texas folks....take care and be safe from the DFW area
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I somehow thing very few texans will actually have the will to shoot the looters like in New Orleans.  But I hope they would protect themselves and they're property.

I'm guessing you haven't visited for any length of time.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#43]
issues in Texas like NO,,,
not for long....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#45]
No, Because in Texas, looters get the boot..................
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#46]
maybe just from experienced looters from NO and such. but this time the military is ready with looters shooters locked and loaded
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Yes...but only because of the transplanted criminals from New Orleans.

And they will be dealt with much more severely by Texans.

Heheh That is exactly what I was thinking
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#48]
To be honest with you, I kinda hope so!

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#49]
what kinda question is that
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#50]
HELL NO!

TXans will kill the sh*t of them NO looters in town
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top