Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 12:41:03 PM EDT
Here is a Powerpoint presentation of a hurricane study of the impact of a "Carla" like storm (1961 - Cat 4) on Galveston in today's environment. The theoritical storm is named "Carly" and the study makes estimates on how high the flooding could go and how much the damage costs might be ($73 billion). This is a 4Mb file but it is well worth the download. I'm not sure how long my bandwidth will hold up so if someone else can re-host it that would be great.

Galveston Hurricane "Carly" Study

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Very interesting.

I just wonder when people will figure out that building in a flood prone area is not smart?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
btt
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Headline news just said they are expecting a THIRTY foot storm surge.  The Galveston seawall is 17 feet high, by the way.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
That's an interesting presentation.

I hope I don't get flamed to hard for this but wouldn't it just be better if Rita slams into NO. After all it's pretty much totally devistated there already. I mean Rita's going to hit land, it may as well be an area that's already completely wiped out.  

Hitting the Galveston/Houston area and causing another $30 billion in damage will break FEMA, several smaller insurance companies and put a severe hurting on the Federal governments funds.

This is just a mess......

God help us.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I hope I don't get flamed to hard for this but wouldn't it just be better if Rita slams into NO. After all it's pretty much totally devistated there already. I mean Rita's going to hit land, it may as well be an area that's already completely wiped out.  

Hitting the Galveston/Houston area and causing another $30 billion in damage will break FEMA, several smaller insurance companies and put a severe hurting on the Federal governments funds.

Not to mention higher gasoline prices.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

wouldn't it just be better if Rita slams into NO.

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#7]
btt - See what's gonna happen to Galveston!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Man, I like eating at Guidos when I lived down there.  I guess that big blue crab on top of the restaraunt is going for a swim.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top