Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/21/2005 10:29:51 AM EDT
Yepper, just got the latest recon reports..it is a Cat. 5 with the latest pressures.

Visible sat picture:

Check out her eyewall..stadium effect is now reflecting it's strength.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Holy poo.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Here we go again.

ETA
You're a DOOP by 21 seconds

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=392036
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Holy poo.

You can say that again..she is now as dangerous as Katrina.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Surfs up.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#5]
uhh....

I didn't think that the repurcussions of global warming would be that fast, and that dramatic. I'm just waiting for those enviromentalist hippies to go "I TOLD YOU SO!"

It's either that, or God is very cranky this year
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#6]

So how much should I make the check out for this time?

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Holy poo.

Yeah, but Huston isnt under sea level is it?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#8]
The new update that just came in showed it at 150 mph, a 10 mph jump from the previos recon. But yeah, it's just a matter of time until it becomes a Cat 5. If there's any good news, maybe it's rapiding strengthening now will mean it's not at it's peak when it hits land. However, I expect it to move back and forth between a Cat 4 and 5, never dropping below Cat 4 status until after it moves ashore. But it's highly unlikely it will remain a Cat 5 it's whole life cycle. That's just a tough strength to maintain.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#9]
dupe, beat you by 20 seconds

but yours has pretty pictures
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I Love Kansas!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Bush's weather machine will destroy the world.

Rove/Cheney/Halliburton are behind it too!

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

just send it in... we will fill in the amount
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I need to do some research...

How much energy in MJ, does a hurricane have?  And how much in MW is dissipated over its lifespan?  Interesting...  and yes, I am a nerd.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here we go again.

ETA

Oh well..mine is more important!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

just send it in... we will fill in the amount

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
uhh....

I didn't think that the repurcussions of global warming would be that fast, and that dramatic. I'm just waiting for those enviromentalist hippies to go "I TOLD YOU SO!"

The period between 1930 and 1970 was just as active. These things go in cycles. We are now in another active cycle and this will continue to be an active period for probably a decade or two, then we'll shift into another more tranquil cycle.

When people start throwing out global warming, ask them why we saw a similarly active period between 1930-1970, then ask them if global warming exists, why the cycle slowed between 1970-2000. You'll probably get a blank stare as an answer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
but yours has pretty pictures

+1 oooh, the colors, dude, the colors...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#19]
she's looking for the po-folks that her sister missed. is like the tornadoes around where i live that don't like trailers. they're always looking for and finding them. come to think of it, po-folks live in trailers so maybe tornadoes don't like po-folks either.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
uhh....

Or you are full of shit...

The global warming and hurricane bullshit has been shown to be just that bullshit.

We are now in the up swing of the NORMAL hurricane cycle
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Rita is a racist!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Let the good times roll!

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#23]
any chance i can get my red cross credit card in advance?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The new update that just came in showed it at 150 mph, a 10 mph jump from the previos recon. But yeah, it's just a matter of time until it becomes a Cat 5. If there's any good news, maybe it's rapiding strengthening now will mean it's not at it's peak when it hits land. However, I expect it to move back and forth between a Cat 4 and 5, never dropping below Cat 4 status until after it moves ashore. But it's highly unlikely it will remain a Cat 5 it's whole life cycle. That's just a tough strength to maintain.

That is what i heard also.

The recon plane wasn't able to fly this AM so it was about Noon before it could get the data which lead to the big jump.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Rita is a racist!

Rita also doesn't care about black people.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

yeah, I'm sure there will be a couple of eyewall replacements and depending upon what time it does land, there could be help from diurnal oceanic convective maxima. The water temps are insane right now and there is nothing to shear her until she gets close to land. The dry air over Texas will probably save Galveston and Houston.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
uhh....

The period between 1930 and 1970 was just as active. These things go in cycles. We are now in another active cycle and this will continue to be an active period for probably a decade or two, then we'll shift into another more tranquil cycle.

When people start throwing out global warming, ask them why we saw a similarly active period between 1930-1970, then ask them if global warming exists, why the cycle slowed between 1970-2000. You'll probably get a blank stare as an answer.

Liberals fear people who are armed with facts!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#28]
one good thing about cali
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I need to do some research...

How much energy in MJ, does a hurricane have?  And how much in MW is dissipated over its lifespan?  Interesting...  and yes, I am a nerd.  

Go Here.

A fully developed hurricane can release heat energy at a rate of 5 to 20x10^13 watts and converts less than 10% of the heat into the mechanical energy of the wind. The heat release is equivalent to a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Ivan was a cat 5 for awhile last year, but made landfall as what NOAA called a strong cat 3. I'm been through cat 3s, but nothing in the past knocked over trees and buildings like Ivan. Either way, you don't want to be in it's path.

On evacuation. Go early, if you wait until the day before, you may ride it out in your car. Know people who did that during Opal, bumper to bumper on the highway. Their black lab was so scared that as a 2 year old she developed gray fur on her head within a few weeks of the experience.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Why do you need some new, high-end luggage? or some table-dances or breast implants for your girlfriend/wife?

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#32]
This is from the recon flights:

Location            Altitude    Dir    ***   Speed      ***     Gust     Temp     Dewp

24.05 -86.03       10004    215   ***   151mph     ***  182mph      49         47
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
uhh....

Hurricane cycles are most likely related to naturally occurring variations in sea currents and sea temperature. It is a fact that sea temperatures and sea levels are both rising as well as ice in the polar regions is receding. The question as to why is up in the air but it is occurring.    
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#34]

WTNT63 KNHC 211807
TCUAT3
HURRICANE RITA TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
215 PM EDT WED SEP 21 2005

DATA FROM RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT RITA HAS INTENSIFIED
A LITTLE MORE AND WINDS HAVE REACHED 150 MPH WINDS WITH A MINIMUM
PRESSURE OF 920 MB.  THIS MAKES RITA A STRONG CATEGORY FOUR
HURRICANE.

FORECASTER AVILA

$$

There is a lot more to forecasting a hurricane's strength than the MCP (minimum central pressure)

ETA:  From the discussion at 11AM:

...THE ENVIRONMENT IS CONDUCIVE FOR
STRENGTHENING AND RITA...AS KATRINA DID...WILL BE CROSSING THE LOOP
CURRENT OR AN AREA OF HIGH HEAT CONTENT WITHIN THE NEXT 12 HOURS OR
SO. THIS WOULD AID THE INTENSIFICATION PROCESS. THEREAFTER...THE
INTENSITY WILL BE CONTROLLED BY CHANGES IN THE EYEWALL WHICH ARE
DIFFICULT TO PREDICT. THE HEAT CONTENT IN THE WESTERN GULF OF
MEXICO IS NOT AS FAVORABLE AS IN THE AREA OF THE LOOP CURRENT SO
SLIGHT WEAKENING IS ANTICIPATED....BUT RITA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE
LANDFALL AS A MAJOR HURRICANE...AT LEAST CATEGORY THREE....

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you need some new, high-end luggage? or some table-dances or breast implants for your girlfriend/wife?

hookers and blow
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Texas wont be needing a check
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#37]
What else?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Here we go again.

ETA

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Available balance?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hookers and blow

Can you use them at an ATM to get cash?  Do your TX hookers/dealers takes plastic?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Texas wont be needing a check

Well played!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#42]
My kid brother (he's 39) lives between Houston and the ocean (Seabrook) he just called a half hour ago..He's decided its a good time to come visit his neice and nephews in Oklahoma. He's already on the road
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

You wouldn't happen to have a link to such an article, would you?

It's not that I doubt you, it's just that I know of a few jackasses who are whipping out the "global warming and it is all mankinds fault" card.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Damn.  Looks like God intends to double flush.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
uhh....

Hurricane cycles are most likely related to naturally occurring variations in sea currents and sea temperature. It is a fact that sea temperatures and sea levels are both rising as well as ice in the polar regions is receding. The question as to why is up in the air but it is occurring.    

Yes. But what will the global warming-ites have to say when the trend turns to one of slight cooling? Hehe.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You wouldn't happen to have a link to such an article, would you?

It's not that I doubt you, it's just that I know of a few jackasses who are whipping out the "global warming and it is all mankinds fault" card.

Here's one, from a top NOAA meterologist. And the source is MSNBC. The global warming jackasses like to cite scientific stuff, so seeing a scientific explanation from a liberal newss source should be sufficient to shut them up a few minutes. Hehe.

Here ya go:

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3080261/

From MSNBC-TV:

With Hurricane Rita marking the ninth named Hurricane of the season and the number of category four and five hurricanes worldwide nearly doubling in the last 35 years, many are wondering about the reasons behind the increased storm activity.

According to Stanley Goldenberg, a meteorologist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, there is no specific reason.

"What people have to realize is that we're in a part of an active long-term cycle in hurricane activity. What happens in the Atlantic is that you have several decades of below normal activity, and then you have several decades of above normal activity," he said.

"This is a cycle we can trace back hundreds of years. Since 1995, we've been in this higher cycle of activity," Goldenberg said.

Goldenberg said that while a warmer Atlantic Ocean contributes to the additional hurricane activity, global warming isn't to blame.

"The main environmental factor is a change in ocean temperatures in the Atlantic. We're not talking about long term global warming, we're talking about a cycle that goes up and down -- a little bit warmer for a few decades and a little bit cooler for a few decades. That's really what we're seeing," he said.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Holy poo.

Firstly, it's Houston.

Secondly, No. Houston is 60 miles inland.

Thirdly. This is Texas, it is NOT bassackwards Louisiana.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Not yet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Will the Astrodome be able to house all the refugees???

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top