Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 10:23:15 AM EDT
My daughter has been asked to be interviewed by her high school for a yearbook story about her extreme sports or activities that she loves. They are Rock climbing, Shooting, reloading and motorcycles, plus normal sports.

I’m not that crazy about the whole student body finding out about the firearms I have or how some of the teachers will view my little girl. But my little girl is a very strong believer in what she loves.

Just looking for some input.

A Concerned dad.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Only sports there are motorcycles and rock climbing. Wouldn't even mention guns whatsoever.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd say let her mention shooting sports, but be non specific about what firearms she has.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Never thought of shooting and reloading as extreme sports.  However, this may be a good time to broaden a few minds and educate a few kids.

Shok
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#4]
"Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
~ Thomas Jefferson.

Nothing to be concerned about IMO. If anything, it'll show firearm-ownership in a positive light and help "normalize" firearm-safety and marksmanship among young people and especially young women.

Maybe even have her emphasize the very practical self-defense for women aspect of her "extreme sport" as well as her right and responsiblity to keep and bear arms as a good citizen.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Never thought of shooting and reloading as extreme sports.  However, this may be a good time to broaden a few minds and educate a few kids.

Shok

+1, but DEFINITELY hush-hush on questions about your firearms collection.

It's nobody's business outside of your family.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#6]
There is NOTHING wrong with shooting guns. Nothing. There is no reason that she should be afraid to have pride in a sport that she puts a lot of time and effort into. Be proud of your daughter and support her. Just my .2 cents. Would you hide it if she were an Olympic level marksman? I would be very proud. Some schools still offer scholarships for that sport.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I think they added 'shooting' to the list of 'extreme' sports as they may believe guns are bad.

Nothing extreme about guns to me.

Regardless, I'd let your daughter decide what she wants to do.  But I would counsel her to avoid mentioning the quantity or variety of weapons you/she owns.  (as you mentioned)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Be sure she mentions how she loves to shoot the .50
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Let her stand up for what she loves.  This is why guns will be viewed in a negative way in the future because parents show their kids it is not O.K to speak of their passion of guns and promote gun safety.  Let them express it if they want to they will only have to face later on in life.  Tell to educate people not argue with them over the gun issues.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I was on the school rifle team when I was a kid and we carried weapons on campus all the time. One of the local junior highs had a shooting range in the back of their gymnasium. If you wanted to shoot accurately, you had to get used to the sound of basketball games through the adjoining wall.

How bizarre is that these days?

If she is a good citizen, she has nothing to hide from anyone. If anyone has a problem with her hobby then get her used to the fact that lots of people have stupid problems about things that don't really concern them. Also get her used to standing up for what is right and opposing general idiocy. As an adult, she will need good skills with dealing with idiots and there is nothing like practice.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm trying to figure out how reloading is a sport.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Perhaps if she emphasizes proper firearms training and the 4 safety rules something more positive can come of this interview.  But, I'd suggest she shy away from discussions of which caliber is best for looters.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out how reloading is a sport.

Have you fired any of his reloads?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh, I forgot to mention.  Congratulations, you should be proud!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I am so very proud of my daughter. She has a number of girlfriends who have learned how to handle and shoot firearms because of her.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Shok

+1... it's the continual representation of all firearm owners / shooters as "loner - black trenchcoat" sociopathic types by the MSM that reinforces the MMM/HCI/ Brady bunch in their paint job.

Let her mention her hobbies / sports... including shooting. The more the sheeple realize that "ordinary" folks (including ones they know / trust / associate with) are shooters, the less likely they are to believe MM when he screams GUN OWNERS ARE SATAN!!!.

They'll look at each other and say "Well, gee,  little Neandertahl-ette isn't like that at all... MM must be wack...", and the MSM/grabbers lose a little hold on their audience.

She doesn't have to include your 1635 German Wheel lock, or your circa 1904 custom engraved 9" silver inlaid Colt Paterson ... just a a vauge reference to a "regular" shotgun, rifle, or pistol...

And for a proud poppa!

Ed 4 spel
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Let her describe her favorite guns but don't let her say how many you have.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
[b]"Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
~ Thomas Jefferson.

Someone needs to put this on a T-shirt!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#20]
You aren't worried about people knowing what kind of motorcycle you have, are you?

Let her talk about shooting in a positive, proud way, not like it's a dirty secret.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You aren't worried about people knowing what kind of motorcycle you have, are you?No most of her friends think i'm part of a motorcycle gang

Let her talk about shooting in a positive, proud way, not like it's a dirty secret.

dirty secret it's not. just getting some advise on what she will say
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top