Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 10:09:01 AM EDT
I have a job opportunity in Chicago - Cook County to be specific. Now I know only the street thugs and criminals are allowed to arm themselves in Cook County. Not that I won't bring my USP45C...better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

My question is...

What about Wheaton, IL? My roomate's family lives there and I was thinking of moving my handgun/rifle collection there. Is it legal to have an AR15 there? More importantly, what about a Form 1 SBR weapon?

You guys know everything so if you can help me with this I would appreciate it. Shooting is one of my main hobbies and it is a key factor in my decision to accept the position. I have to drive an hour as it is to shoot long range in Atlanta so I don't mind the commute.

Thanks if you can help me with the info!

Alan
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#1]
No SBRs in Illinois, Cook county *might* have an AWB? Ask in our hometown forum, lots of good ppl there might have better answers.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Cook County does not have a AWB, it just failed to pass.  However, pistals are illegal in Cook county.  Boy, you are moving from one crap hole to another.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#3]
My understanding was that Crook county does have a AWB.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, Cook county DOES have an assault weapons ban, it's just worded very poorly and to my knowledge only bans some guns by name.

The AWB that was recently discussed in Cook county was a new AWB that was simply a version of the federal ban that expired in '01 on steroids.  It basically said, "destroy them or get rid of them."

In Wheaton I think you may have to register your guns, and it looks like theer may be some restictions on private party sales.

Here's a pdf file from packing.org

municipal laws in illinois

No matter where you live, you'll have to get a FOID, and finding a place to shoot rifles close is going to be tough, maybe impossible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top